Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgamej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

When I bought my Westy about 6 months ago the previous owner had purchased a sliding door mosquito screen kit from bus depot that he gave me. The kit however did not come with instructions on how to install it onto the vehicle, it only came with direction on how to install the female portion of the snaps onto the actual material.

I did a search on the topic and there was quite a bit of info on rear hatch screen installs and a little deabte about if the sliding door screen was an original option or not for westy's (i think it was decided that it was not) but nothing on the install.

I'm hoping that there might be someone out there who might have a few pics or maybe a diagram on how to do it and where to actually screw the male end of the snaps onto the vehicle.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bride sewed up her own version of the slider screen with weighted hem (using BBs) to rest on the floor and magnetic (instead of snap or velcro) closure that works great one-handed. What we did to install it was to use existing screws in the bottom of the curtain tray above the slider to locate the top run of snaps and then just went down the sides looking for other existing screws to secure the snaps to, or adding them where needed.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

call Bus Depot, let them know you have one, and I'll bet they will send you the instructions.
bgamej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the response I got back from busdepot was that "Unfortunately no instructions exist. The original screen (of which this is a duplicate) was intended to be dealer installed and VW did not print instructions. " Thie basic advice was to line it up how you think it works best and go for it.

I'll defintely take the advice provided previosuly about using the curtain screws as a guide and see if that makes sense but any other advice would be great.
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine over a year ago and had to unscrew the snaps and re-do it to get it right. My advice is to take your time, make sure each snap placement is where it should be. What I did was made sure the bottom of the screen in always level as I installed the snaps. I started on the rear side of the slider opening, lined up everything and installed the snaps along the door there. Then I would add a snap at a time across the top after ensuring that the bottom of the screen was level and there was not a gap. It got kind of tricky on the front side of the opening, but eventually it turned out pretty good I think.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
woggs1 Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did mine over a year ago and had to unscrew the snaps and re-do it to get it right. My advice is to take your time, make sure each snap placement is where it should be. What I did was made sure the bottom of the screen in always level as I installed the snaps. I started on the rear side of the slider opening, lined up everything and installed the snaps along the door there. Then I would add a snap at a time across the top after ensuring that the bottom of the screen was level and there was not a gap. It got kind of tricky on the front side of the opening, but eventually it turned out pretty good I think.

I just got my GW sliding door screen yesterday and want to install it only once!
Do you have any pictures of your install or the installed screen that you can post?

Thanks.........Tim
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put mine in and posted some photos in the vanagon gallery area. Here is a picture from the outside.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I started at top left and did the top snaps first then the sides.

For the top front I used the front curtain snap just behind the passenger door. For the top snaps I used the trim screw holes (they are too big for the provided screw snaps so I inserted some match sticks). I think I put in four along the top and I might add another (the snaps are not very strong). On both sides I used the curtain tie back snaps and on the right 1 additional snap near the bottom (using an existing trim placement). I drilled two holes on the left side for snaps near the bottom of the door pillar. PM me if you cannot find the photos. I made some mistakes and needed more snaps than provided (which fortunately I already had).

Ben Root
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

I know this thread is over a decade old, but there are still no good answers to the question of how to mount these Bus Depot products. I find it truly aggravating to spend money on a product and have no installation instructions. "Thumbs Down" to Bus Depot.

I've owned these products (sliding door and rear hatch screens) for several years now and every spring at the start of camping season, I get them out of the box they came in, hold them up to the van for an hour or so, look at read these same articles on Google, then fold them back up and put them away for another year.

There's nothing on you tube (except one for a type 2...in French)...and all you industrious guys just "figured it out"...if I wanted to figure it out, I would have sewn my own...with a plan....but no, I paid money for a product without a plan.

In my case, I'm installing in a tin top so there are no existing screws, snaps, or holes for the "stock" screens.

On the slider, should I drill holes to mount the snaps into the sliding door track itself (with the vinyl wrapping the curved front edge)? On mine, there is a rubber trim piece that I'd have to drill/screw through. Seems destructive and ultimately unstable due to the squishiness of the rubber. OR I could screw through the headliner into the sheet metal above the slider track, with the mesh then bulging around the track's front curve. Seems ungraceful.

For the rear hatch, I have a plastic A/C shroud on the top and side pillars. The shroud is held in place with plastic trim nuts threaded onto studs in the body. The top center stud seems perfectly placed to hold a snap,,,but instead, it's just in the way since there's no way to attach a snap to it. In the other locations, can I just screw the snap into the plastic, or will they tear out? Getting to the back side to put nuts on bolts seems like an aggravating disassembly of the A/C ducting shrouds (a process that I used expletives on before).

Has anyone installed these products onto a tin-top, non-Westy, that has A/C in the back?

thanks, Ben

PS sorry for projecting my frustration at the group.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

I bought a pack of sheet metal screws and the correct size/opposite sex snaps, and had at it. It will take some time, but it isn't difficult to install.
When I get home, I'll see if I can take some pictures.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

Buy a roll of industrial velcro and put it where you think you might want it. If it doesn't work out you can adjust as required. The right hand side, looking out, has a little slit where it turns around the armrest of a westy. That may differ in a tin top. That's what I used as a starting point. It made sense because it lined up with something.

Once you are satisfied you can add snaps. I have velcro in between my snaps because around here(East Coast Canada) little bugs can get in wherever you give them a chance!

Good luck,
Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

Apparently Kamzcab makes a magnetic version. Trying to get ahold but no replies so far. Kamz! Can I get a screen??
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

Ben Root wrote:
I know this thread is over a decade old, but there are still no good answers to the question of how to mount these Bus Depot products. I find it truly aggravating to spend money on a product and have no installation instructions. "Thumbs Down" to Bus Depot.

I've owned these products (sliding door and rear hatch screens) for several years now and every spring at the start of camping season, I get them out of the box they came in, hold them up to the van for an hour or so, look at read these same articles on Google, then fold them back up and put them away for another year.

There's nothing on you tube (except one for a type 2...in French)...and all you industrious guys just "figured it out"...if I wanted to figure it out, I would have sewn my own...with a plan....but no, I paid money for a product without a plan.

In my case, I'm installing in a tin top so there are no existing screws, snaps, or holes for the "stock" screens.

On the slider, should I drill holes to mount the snaps into the sliding door track itself (with the vinyl wrapping the curved front edge)? On mine, there is a rubber trim piece that I'd have to drill/screw through. Seems destructive and ultimately unstable due to the squishiness of the rubber. OR I could screw through the headliner into the sheet metal above the slider track, with the mesh then bulging around the track's front curve. Seems ungraceful.

For the rear hatch, I have a plastic A/C shroud on the top and side pillars. The shroud is held in place with plastic trim nuts threaded onto studs in the body. The top center stud seems perfectly placed to hold a snap,,,but instead, it's just in the way since there's no way to attach a snap to it. In the other locations, can I just screw the snap into the plastic, or will they tear out? Getting to the back side to put nuts on bolts seems like an aggravating disassembly of the A/C ducting shrouds (a process that I used expletives on before).

Has anyone installed these products onto a tin-top, non-Westy, that has A/C in the back?

thanks, Ben

PS sorry for projecting my frustration at the group.

I just installed my Bus Depot version a couple of weeks ago. I have a Westy so the rear screen was already provided and in place. This was for the slider.

Grab the GoWesty instructions and use those for the Bus Depot version as it is somewhat a guide. I installed above the track into the side-liner (headliner??) near where the mounting screws went but all these screw locations do not line up. The first location was the front screw replacement in the front vent, which provided one snap location to eyeball all the rest.

Get extra #6 screws from the hardware store to mount the bases into the metal/headliner. Buy extras. I got probably 40 or so (from memory they were the 5/8" mostly, a few longer just in case, with the tapered heads so that if the screw versus snap base were at slightly different angles they'd still mate. And extra drill bits. I don't recall the size but get the largest size you can, still allowing for the screws to bite into the metal. If you get too small a size the heads will break off the screws since they are so small.

Get also a bunch of magnets for temporary mounting. I got the strong round ones with the extra screw heads so I could reuse them anywhere around the van for a temporary mount for magnetic or metal stuff.

Replace the front screw in the vent above the door with the snap base. This should be #1 on the GoWesty directions or near enough to it. Stretch the fabric across the top of the door above the track and use a few magnets to hold in place. Make sure you eyeball the bottom so that it grazes the floor when affixing the top via the magnets. When test fit, then add a few more magnets along the side-back, then the side-front, ignoring the big turn around the top slider track in the upper corner. This is the test fit. When happy with a test fit, try to then take care of the top front slider location for fit but if not find a good place for that last snap location and use your magnets to seal off the screen long-term.

With just the one snap in place and the magnets holding the screen where you want it, then do the very top-back end snap, drilling into the headliner above the track. Use a marker to mark the snap location based upon the one already affixed in the screen. Mine ended up being slightly below and behind the headliner screws already factory installed. Then do a few more along the top edge between those two top row. Don't do the front top around the bend yet.

Work your way down the side-back all the way to the floor. Remember that on a Westy you have the bench for the bottom two snaps so I don't know where yours would go (maybe on the door frame edge as these snaps are reversed).

Then to up to the side-front, and mount the bottom snap. Then work your way up and down using magnets to keep the screen tight. After that, the very top two snaps would have to be eyeballed and located with the potential of an extra magnet or 2 to seal around the track bend for keeping the bugs out (I use a paper towel inside the track just to really seal it when the screen is up).

Sorry if this doesn't make a bunch of sense; I got my screen months before and tried many different configuration locations before drilling. The velcro idea seemed like a good one too.

Lastly, where the solid-edge material was too close to other items, like around the fire extingusher or factory curtain snaps, I cut into the fabric, seared the edges and sewed extra reinforcement at those cutout areas. And I sewed an extra 5" skirt flexible material along the bottom the screen to lay inside the van as extra "sweep" protection should someone bump the screen while sleeping, pushing it outside the floor. the extra material overlaps at the screen zipper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ciruelos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/files/255-413,%20Sliding%20...85-91].pdf

After doing this installation myself, I'll emphasize a point from the instructions - you need patience for this job. Don't expect the final product to match up with some areas of the floor or around the sliding door curtain...or for it to eliminate 100% of flying friends. I'd also suggest replacing the stock "male" snaps with higher quality ones, or you'll find that pulling the screen off occasionally rips a male snap off the mounting.
Overall it does an adequate job. This is a case of not letting the perfect become the enemy of the good.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

Ben Root wrote:

thanks, Ben

I have installed the rear hatch screen. Here are pics of the locations of the snap studs.
The middle looks perfect but it isn't so I added two additional snaps to the screen just to the sides of the middle.

Hope these help

Tim

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

when I put the snaps in my AC ducts of my tintop, I used a small drill bit and SS pop rivets.
when I unsnap the screen, I make sure my fingers are on both sides of the snap and lever it apart.
other people are not so caring and will just pull it from one corner like bed sheet. and chaos will eventually ensue.
often it's me flying over in a tirade of beratement over their carelessness

they don't understand, offer back a HUFF>.. and move on.. never learning the lesson to take care of XYZ parts. since they're never responsible for fixing or paying for it in the 1st place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

People care less about your old van than you do Dan? Hmmmm....thought it was just me...

Very Happy

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
goubeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm about to do just this, ie install the GoWesty rear hatch screen on a Tintop that also has the AC plastic shroud. I'm considering fastening the male snaps with self tapping screws into the 1/4 " lip that the rear hatch seal wraps around. This way I will be going into metal rather than the old plastic of the AC shroud. It looks like this might work and not interfere with the hatch closing and sealing, but I have to do some testing.

I'm not convinced that not setting the male snaps into metal will hold up over time.

I will take some images to help illustrate what I am thinking as pictures are far better than words here.
-john
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

im surprised, I got mine from the Bus Depot as well, and the female snaps were on the screen, so i just started at the top, and worked my way down. Its a little fagazy but works. Bottom left does a flip flop, but all in all, it works awesome! If you need it, i could lay mine out and take a photo and PM it to you...

drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread again...

I'm staring at this GW slider screen and my mock ups suggest it is too wide for the slider opening. The widest I can mount the snaps is about 49" apart, but the screen is 51" apart. This means the screen, once hung will have snignificant sag and seems like it will make zipping it up difficult.

Has anyone encountered this extra width?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Mosquito Screen Install Reply with quote

All this sound like a lot of work. And why have zippers. If I were to do this I would start with

And then cut it down to size and either sew mag tape around the edge or use velcro.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: