Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 bug maintenance and service
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

I'm trying to resurrect a 1975 standard Beetle with an earlier 1600cc DP engine that has a 34 pict 3 carburetor. This engine has an old-style voltage regulator mounted on the fan shroud. Cusser used his voltmeter and tested the generator while disconnected from the regulator, said that the generator was putting out voltage. However, with the regulator connected, voltage across the battery read only battery voltage. The charging indicator light in the cluster does not light up at all, the oil pressure light does work as it should.

Cusser noted that only one of the two large terminals at B+ on the regulator has a wire connected, that comes from the battery. The other B+ terminal is bare, and with the VW being a 1975 body, he didn't know what should connect there. Any suggestions, thanks. I have 30 days to pass emissions .
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

His 1975 has an earlier, carbureted engine in it, which has a generator and fan shroud mounted regulator; so I didn't want to guess where to wire that "empty" large B+ terminal to.

His Brosol 34PICT-3 is missing choke cam and associated parts too; I suggested Tim at Volkzbitz.

And the wiring in the trunk has been painted over, too much of a project for me to take on; I suggested Wedge VW in Phoenix.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

B+ is B+, battery hot.

Checking a '71 wiring diagram (generator equipped with regulator in engine compartment) it looks like VW ran a red wire direct from battery + terminal to B+ on regulator, then of course an additional red wire ran from B+ to the headlight switch etc.

If there's not a wire from b+ to the regulator on this car, you could always just run a 10 gauge wire from B+ on the regulator to terminal 30 on the solenoid and achieve the same goal.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

Original generator VR wiring placed the regulator under the rear seat. The B+ terminal(s) served as a junction point for three current flows:
    Output from the generator/VR.
    #30 cable from the battery positive post.
    Main #30 wire that runs from the VR to the front of the car where it powers pretty much EVERYTHING.

Since your VR is located in the engine compartment it makes no sense to route BOTH the battery cable and the main #30 wire all the way back to the engine. I suspect there is still some type of junction under the rear seat. Follow the red wire that leave the VR B+ terminal and find it in the harness below the rear seat. Also trace the heavy gauge wire running from the battery post. At some point these three wires need to come together.
What some will do is to run the B+ output from the VR (or B+ from alternator) to the starter solenoid stud where the battery cable connects. This functionally connects the B+ output to the battery post. The under the rear seat the #30 battery wire connects straight to the #30 main wire that runs to the front. All three wires are connected together just not at the same point.

In all model years B+ is the regulated output from the charging system. It needs to splice into the main #30 circuit.

In the generator wiring the D+ from the generator is the output from the generator and not necessarily regulated. D+ from the generator runs to the VR where it can be monitored and regulated before the VR outputs current on the B+.

On your car, the #61 blue wire which starts at the GEN lamp in the speedo needs to run all the way to the VR. Normally this wire only ran to the space under the rear seat. You need to find this blue wire and confirm it is reaching the VR #61 terminal. Hopefully the PO extended it so it could reach the VR.
TEST: with the ignition ON, remove the #61 wire from the VR and ground it. This should turn the GEN lamp ON. If the lamp does not turn ON you have a disconnect from the GEN lamp to the #61 terminal of the VR. Find the break.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

ashman40 brilliantly shows why I should not reply when high on cold medicine! Laughing
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

I am a wiring newb where do I find these connections? Do i trace from the fuse box?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

JD1979 wrote:
I am a wiring newb where do I find these connections? Do i trace from the fuse box?

Start with your engine mounted VR. Find the heavy gauge red wire connected to the B+ terminal and follow it. Does it head to the starter or disappear into the C-pillar space at the left side of the engine compartment?

Next, dive under the rear seat. Find the heavy gauge wire running from the positive (+) battery post (NOT the battery cable that runs to the starter). This wire normally runs towards the left side of the car where it could junction at the VR which was originally installed at the left side of the car under the rear seat. Where does this wire connect?

Notice in the above pic (left side of the car under the rear seat) there are three heavy gauge red wires (one is inside the black sleeve). Two connect to the B+ one connects to the D+. The harness coming thru the round hole comes from the engine compartment.
The red D+ wire comes from the generator D+ terminal. Since your VR is in the engine compartment this wire, if it exists, is probably the B+ output from your VR.
The black sleeved wire is the #30 coming from the battery.
The remaining #30 red wire connected to the B+ terminal runs to the front of the car.

There is one more heavy gauge red wire in the harness... the #50 starter solenoid wire. This wire comes out of the harness at the left side and ends at a junction below the rear seat before exiting near the steel brake line at the rear of the center tunnel. You can see this wire at the bottom of this pic. You can also get a better view of the harness coming from the front of the car (black sleeve in the below pic). Note that the red wires in this pic are red/white. The colors changed over the years but were always a much heavier gauge wire than all the rest.

JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

Would it be better to install a new or used wiring harness on this? Because then i can get rid of the rats nest of a wiring harness and make sure everything gets a new wire and connectors.
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

JD1979 wrote:
Would it be better to install a new or used wiring harness on this? Because then i can get rid of the rats nest of a wiring harness and make sure everything gets a new wire and connectors.

I see a few wire ends that could use a snip and install a new terminal but in general your wiring is not too bad.
On a scale of 1-10,
    10 = New wiring harness installed by someone w/ extreme "organizational needs"
    8 = Stock original wiring
    1 = Fires start every time you turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN

I'd rate your car around "6". You might be better off cleaning the paint off the wires and clean up terminals with a wire brush.

In this pic I see the (broken) rectangular white junction where all the B+/#30 wires come together. I see the red/white wire in the black sleeve at the bottom right coming from the battery positive (+) post; the red/white wire that runs to the front of the car at the upper right; at the upper left is the red/white wire that comes from the VR B+. The bottom left appears to be the wire that powers the rear window defroster/relay.
WARNING: do not let anything touch those exposed connections. These wires are NOT protected by a fuse but are directly connected to the battery. If the connection were to come in contact w/ ground it would start a fire as the insulation melted.

Above the broken white junction I see an unused white 4-prong plug. That might be the plug for the alternator external regulator that came on some '74-'75 cars. If your car originally came with an alternator I can see why the PO installed the generator VR in the engine compartment. It just saved having to hack the VR wiring. In case you wanted to upgrade to an alternator in the future.
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

I think I am going to try and clean up wires removing paint/elec clean spray the terminals. I noticed that my push to start ignition has what I believe that red B+ wire not connected hopefully that easy. First step clean up wires in back seat. Then clean trunk and try ang get rid of all old stereo wiring. Then use a diagram to try and clean up each section of wiring starting with front head lights. Paint thinner on the wires?
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

So finally getting around to cleaning this up. I took some pics need advice do I start under the hood fuse box area? Or the battery compartment or the engine? Also please look at the pics I wrote some questions there too
Thank you!!

JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

So I have wires going into fuse box and wires going into the relays. I feel like cleaning off the paint is first step. Then marking each wire with example of #1bottom fuse or top fuse#3 then disconnecting all of them cleaning up ends new clamps etc.. then reconnecting in a clean and electric tape bound organized way. My other problem is finding a schematic that makes sense and has everything marked like what the E and D mean as far as what I am looking at where the wires connect? Any help is appreciated!

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 bug maintenance and service Reply with quote

Agree your first step needs to be clean off the paint. You need to see the wire colors w/ identifying stripes/marks. This is the original way to understand what the wires support and where they should be connected. If you can clearly see the wire colors you shouldn't need to label each wire. Having to read the label takes longer than looking for the wire color. Look at the below pic of the fuse box and you will notice the fuse box and wires are broken up into basically five groups...
    Fuses #1&#2 - grey wires (parking lights)
    Fuses #3&#4 - yellow wires (low beam)
    Fuses #5&#6 - white wires (high beam)
    Fuses #8&#9 - red wires (battery constant 12v)
    Fuse #10 - black/yellow wires (accessory systems; not powered while engine cranking)
    Fuses #11& #12 - black wires (ignition switch powered 12v)

I recommend you use the '72 wiring diagram JUST for the fuse box section. While it is NOT 100% the same as the '75 wiring diagram it will be 95% the same. Then work from the differences (the '72 includes wires for the blower and rear window defroster, the '73-up STD diagram doesn't; also the #7 fuse may be a standalone fuse and not share the same INPUT with #8 & #9).
Here is a snippet of just the fuse box area from the '72 STD/SB Beetle wiring diagram (fuse#1 on left; #12 on right). It shows the wire colors and where they connect on the fuse box:

A key point, notice the thick black lines that connect pairs of fuses together along one side... this is the INPUT side of the fuse. One INPUT wire (white wire at fuse #6 for example) provides power to two (2) fuses which support two separate OUTPUTS. Mixing up the INPUT/OUTPUT sides of the fuse box usually result in overloading a fuse and causes it to blow. Be sure to connect the wires to their correct fuses and the correct SIDE of the fuse.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: