Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

Hi all,

I assembled my restored square-top pump, installed it, and after I attached the fuel line, I noticed it was leaking. I had read previous threads in which people tightened up all the various screws to resolve leaks, so I did that. I finally realized that the culprit is the big bolt that covers the built-in filter. The rebuild kit included one orange gasket for that, but maybe it isn't thick enough. It feels like maybe the bolt has bottomed out without completely sealing. It is close, but still leaking.

Can I double-up two of the orange gaskets (I'd have to buy another rebuild kit I suppose...)? Any other ideas?

Thank you,
Kris
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
Hi all,

I assembled my restored square-top pump, installed it, and after I attached the fuel line, I noticed it was leaking. I had read previous threads in which people tightened up all the various screws to resolve leaks, so I did that. I finally realized that the culprit is the big bolt that covers the built-in filter. The rebuild kit included one orange gasket for that, but maybe it isn't thick enough. It feels like maybe the bolt has bottomed out without completely sealing. It is close, but still leaking.

Can I double-up two of the orange gaskets (I'd have to buy another rebuild kit I suppose...)? Any other ideas?

Thank you,
Kris

Make sure you don't have a crack in the area of the threads of the brass filter cover. Yes, you can double up the gaskets or even use the old one if it's in decent shape.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your advice, Bill. I'll take a close look at the casting to see if I can find any cracks. I've ordered another rebuild kit in order to get a second gasket...

Regards,
Kris
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
Thank you very much for your advice, Bill. I'll take a close look at the casting to see if I can find any cracks. I've ordered another rebuild kit in order to get a second gasket...

Regards,
Kris

If you need a spare gasket, let me know. I can drop one in the mail N/C. No need to buy another kit.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

many an autoparts store, hardware store carry gaskets, or sheets of gasket material so you can cut your own.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
many an autoparts store, hardware store carry gaskets, or sheets of gasket material so you can cut your own.

Bug On!

I'd take Bill up on his generous offer.

You need one that fits and is made from the correct material. Last thing you need is to have the fuel eat the material away and leak. Fuel leaks and aircooled engines always seem to end bad.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
If you need a spare gasket, let me know. I can drop one in the mail N/C. No need to buy another kit.

That is very nice of you, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately Wolfsburg West already sent me a shipping tracking number... the new rebuild kit is already in the mail. Oh well, at least I'll have spares now for the other stuff.

Thank you,
Kris
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

The pump leaks just the same with two gaskets as it did with one. Brick wall I can't see any defect, but there must be some small crack or something. It's a tiny leak. It basically only shows up overnight. The next day there is "sweat" on the surface of the filter section of the pump, and of course the whole place stinks of gasoline.

Shopping for another new pump now...
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

I'd try some gasket shellac on the plug threads and packing/gasket to see if that stops your fuel seep before replacing the pump. It'll seal up any imperfections and treat the gasket material if it's wicking on the offhand, and it doesn't make removal difficult in the future.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

There is a product I've seen at Dollar General called "Seal-All" I'm sure other places have it too, not very expensive and is oil and gasoline resistant

https://www.dollargeneral.com/seal-all-contact-adhesive-and-sealant-2-oz.html?_br_psugg_q=seal+all

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

Note that gasoline resistant doesn't mean that 24/7 contact with gasoline is OK !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

assemble without gasket, and then hold up to bright light, with magnification if your eyes are weak like mine, look for warpage of the cover or base. And /or, try to put a slim feeler gage between the surfaces, if the gage slips in between the cover and base in some spots, then the part is warped, manytimes near the screw holes, the metal base or cover gets distorted, from decades of being over tight. the two mating surfaces no longer are planar, no longer flat the distorted metal can be filed or sanded flat again by removing the high spots, which often are around the screw holes

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

The fuel filter plug area is an unusual area for a leak. I've never seen a crack there restoring hundreds of these pumps. I can see it happen though if someone cranked down on the 13MM brass plug.

I'd look carefully for a leak at the top cover area. Many people do not level that plate when rebuilding them. They can leak at the top and appear to be leaking elsewhere.

Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

Minor scratch marks or minor buildup of gasket material can cause a leak.

Two gaskets should never be used on a pressure sealing service, even on a low pressure service such as a fuel pump.

The factory sealing gasket for the filter bolt is 1.2mm thick. The bolt bottoms out with about 0.3-0.4mm clearance. So there is plenty of gasket crush available.

With some aftermarket kits, the diaphram under the top cover does not fit that well and can cause leaks. Sometimes the diaphram rubber and the gasket material is too thick again this can cause leaks. The factory diaphram is 0.2mm thick and the gasket 0.36mm thick.

You did not mention whether you have rebuilt a pump that you have previously used or it is a used pump which you have obtained without any operational experience - ie did it work before?.

Pictures of the sealing surfaces of your fuel pump would be useful.

The picture below is of a good example of the sealing surface for the filter bolt. No leaks after a rebuild.

The picture below is a bad example of the filter bold sealing face and should be replaced.

The pictures below are a good examples of the top cover sealing faces. No leaks after a rebuild.

I should mention that the above fuel pump was rebuilt after 500,000+ miles (it was the original fuel pump) and no work was required to resurface gasket surfaces.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
The factory sealing gasket for the filter bolt is 1.2mm thick. The bolt bottoms out with about 0.3-0.4mm clearance. So there is plenty of gasket crush available.

This is interesting! The gaskets that came in my Wolfsburg West rebuild kits were different thicknesses, and neither was anywhere near 1.2mm! Stacked together they are nowhere near 1.2mm.

Meiang wrote:
You did not mention whether you have rebuilt a pump that you have previously used or it is a used pump which you have obtained without any operational experience - ie did it work before?.

I bought the castings and hardware restored, but unassembled.

Thank you very much for your informative reply!

Kris
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

Thank you all for your suggestions. I won't be able to work on it again for another week or two. When I find out more, I'll post it here.

Thank you,
Kris
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pierburg square-top pump leaking from filter cover Reply with quote

kpf wrote:

This is interesting! The gaskets that came in my Wolfsburg West rebuild kits were different thicknesses, and neither was anywhere near 1.2mm! Stacked together they are nowhere near 1.2mm.

The rebilld kit curently being sold by Wolfsburg West is known to be pure junk. Several Samba members have bought them and had nothing but trouble. WW has been informed of this but they don't care, don't respond and keep selling the same POS kit:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I don't care if they sell other products that are of good quality and/or others claim they stand behind their products, next to a shitty brake rebuild kit a fuel pump rebuild kit is one of the most dangerous things to get wrong, whether it's ill fitting parts or made of cheap ass quality (or both.) Nice to know they could give a shit if your fuel pump suddenly starts spraying pressurized fuel all over. This is far more dangerous than having a filter in the engine bay.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: