Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Katie's 62 rebuild help
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rspallon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

Hi all
My name is Rob - I am a nurse and car guy. My wife and I have a friend (Katie) who is getting divorced after 22 years of marriage. 3 great kids.
When Katie was 16 her grandfather gave her a 1962 bug. He put it together for her and she loved that car. She had the car when she got married in 1997 - it still ran and drove but had some issues. Her husband decided to "redo" the car in 1999. Long story longer, the car has been apart and in boxes for 20 years. Now they are divorcing and the car is sadly in limbo.
Because Katie had to sell her house the car is now sitting I'm my garage.

Here's the deal ... I am not keeping the car. I want to put it back together for Katie but I am not charging her a dime. I just can't charge a single mom of 3 !
So I am on a tight budget. I can do the body work, I can paint it - I can piece it together.
Its needs a ton of work and parts- including a rebuild of the motor.

I started a go fund me because I can't afford to put thousands into this car and I know Katie (on a teachers salary) can't afford it either.
Was wondering if anyone can help. I can verify everything.

I attached some pics for you (Katie and her bug first day and how it sits now in my garage). As you can see it had 67 fenders on the rear and I want to put original 62 fenders back on.

Anyway, thanks for your time. Lots of scammers out there but I am not one.

The link is here:
https://www.gofundme.com/Katie-Bug

If anyone has parts for a 62 please contact me.
If anyone with mechanical or body work/paint skills
That wants to help please let me know.

Respectfully,​
Rob S
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

Popcorn this is excellent Very Happy. Doesn’t look like 62. Upon closer examination might be a 62 with a later rear apron and deck lid. I see a grab handle through the back window.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

Doesn't look like a 1962 to me !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Doesn't look like a 1962 to me !!!

Cuss you gotta look real close, small back window and grab handle visible, looks like 70 deck lid. Maybe a Johnny Cash one piece at a time car.
rspallon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

Yes it is sort of a Frankenstein... The motor is not original, the back apron was from a 67 - but I am converting it to back to a 62. Having a heck of a time finding some german steel rear fenders.

Her grandfather literally put this car together.

The pic of the newspaper show the date of 1999. Thats when Katies (ex) husband took this thing apart. The headlights were wrapped in the newspaper.

Sad! but this bug will be great again!

Thanks for checking it out.
Rob
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

Rear deck lid looks like ‘70, apron and rear fenders probably are too. Definitely grafted from a ‘68 or later. Good luck! Floor pans look solid.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

I loved my 62 Beetle. It had a gas gauge and the mouse hair headliner. The smell of the heat coming from those "dirty air heaterboxes" was so intense I can remember it to this day. Mine drove like a go cart after I beat out the old frozen kingpins and put new Sears radials on it in 1972.

Last year of the Wolfsburg crest on the hood IIRC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

You might get in touch with any local VW club in your area?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
You might get in touch with any local VW club in your area?

Yep, there are a BUNCH of VW folks in Colorado, whats your location ??

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

Going by your description of the engine being an H block means mid to late 60s vintage 1500cc single port. Very high probability it has been updated to 1600 but that would be a plus because its easier and cheaper to source parts for that engine rather than try to go back with a stale air 40hp like 1962.

I wonder if the old man that built this had access to the more modern larger oil cooler and doghouse fan arrangement, this truly makes an outstanding little engine that cools well.

Depending on what kind of help you get might also consider converting to dual circuit master cylinder for safety’s sake.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

rspallon wrote:
Thats when Katies (ex) husband took this thing apart.

That right there is the best reason for her to lose his worthless ass.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

Why go thru the trouble and expense of putting on 62 OG fenders when you have servicable, though newer ones, already?

They didn't bother her before..... they should still be fine for her now.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Why go thru the trouble and expense of putting on 62 OG fenders when you have servicable, though newer ones, already?

They didn't bother her before..... they should still be fine for her now.

My thoughts exactly and you just joined The Samba July 21, 2019. You come on here to say "go fund me" has been established and give a sob story...…….sorry its been done before. To others, be careful who you support. And that 'teachers salary" really isn't all that bad. The question here is about 1) this new member coming on here July21 (NEW) and 2) immediately in his first post saying a "go fund me account" has been established.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

I remember one go fund me story where a young man wanted donations to fix a junk VW bus and drive around helping other people, sounds good but he was labeled a fruit and the post deleted. Checking go fund me the Katie-Bug story has failed to gain traction, donations are zero. Whoever knows what works sometimes its all in how you ask, man what a tough crowd.

I looked more closely at that engine pic and its a dual port 😮
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

This is easy. Just start bolting the bug back together. Then you will at least have a mostly complete car.

Forget about your dream about a restoration and spending thousands $$$ you or her don't have.

Source some used parts for things that are missing.

Being new on Samba 99% of the people here smell a scam.

Good luck.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Katie's 62 rebuild help Reply with quote

PD41 wrote:
This is easy. Just start bolting the bug back together. Then you will at least have a mostly complete car.

Forget about your dream about a restoration and spending thousands $$$ you or her don't have.

Source some used parts for things that are missing.

Good luck.

I couldn't agree more with PD41. Just get it built with what's there if the main goal is to get it back on the road for her. Plus, if that's how her Grandfather built it, I'm willing to bet there's more sentimental value to leaving it as a mis-matched collection of body parts than spending so much time and money making it correct.

I can give the benefit of doubt and not jump at the assumption this is a scam. But unfortunately fun cars aren't a necessity. Just a "want". I'm 100% on board to donate to someone facing financial ruin from medical issues or whatever, but for fun / hobby stuff- I'll donate to my own cars first.

This kind of reminds me- in the past couple years, there have been a few of these "Help Anne Get Her Bus Back On The Road" type of posts. Some really good people donate a lot of their time, and strangers from all over the planet send parts and money to help get the job done. 6 months later, the throttle cable breaks, and the car is sitting up on blocks for the rest of eternity. It seems like the collective group is more concerned about getting the car back on the road than "Anne" (or whoever) ever was.

Hopefully the original poster doesn't feel like he's been ganged up on over this? The Samba is a good place. I hope you stick around. I also hope Katie is able to get back on her feet, and when she has the time and money to build her car, I hope she does!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: