Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 413, 414, 415 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So in my 71 Weekender, I'm replacing just the rear most roof panel. There's no headbanger in it, but the closet and the other roof panels are still in and in good enough shape.

I've read that this rear most panel should actually be the first panel to go in when it comes to the camper interior. Does anyone have some hands-on experience with the best way to get this piece in (especially if all or most of the other pieces are already in)?

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm not sure how a hardtop differs, but the rear headliner panel can be removed by dropping the center panels each side of the pop top hole (single panel in your case I guess) and then sliding the section rear forward enough to clear the channels it sits in, the Bentley manual shows how to flex the middle down and make it loosen up. You could even try flexing it first, the catch may be the very edges hanging up on the middle panel that's still in the channels, depends on how bendy it feels and how much room you have over the remaining furniture.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have the Bentley, so I'll double check that, too. I'll get it sorted...maybe tuck in the side over the cabinet first since that has less wiggle room.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Accidentally disconnected the wire(s) at the top of the photo with the 2 female spade connectors while putting in the battery. Can't figure out what they connect to unless it is to the wire other wire shown in the photo with the single male spade connector. But there is only one male connector so I'm not sure.

Also, brake lights aren't working ... is this related?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

hiwaycallin wrote:
Accidentally disconnected the wire(s) at the top of the photo with the 2 female spade connectors while putting in the battery. Can't figure out what they connect to unless it is to the wire other wire shown in the photo with the single male spade connector. But there is only one male connector so I'm not sure.

Also, brake lights aren't working ... is this related?

[img]pic[/img]

This puzzle would be much easier if you told us the year and model of bus and the color of the wires in question. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sorry ... '78 campmobile. The top wires that are sheathed together are: one white with a red stripe; one brown (ground?). The other wire with the male connector is red. Thanks.
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Actually, it's not related to brake lights. Those are fine now. All the lights work. Bus runs great. But those wires must be for something ...
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Smells like a license plate light to me.

Does that red wire go to anything in particular? Like the battery from the diagnostic plug connector?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Smells like a license plate light to me.

Does that red wire go to anything in particular? Like the battery from the diagnostic plug connector?

Robbie

Why yes it does ...
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Okay, guys, I've done some digging around the forum here because my 71 Westy doesn't have jalousie screens. I've found the height and width of the screens, but I haven't clearly found the thickness.

Does anyone know the thickness of the screen frames offhand or could pop out and measure one for me?

Thanks!

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The edge profile has two “stages.”

The outermost edge is .070” thick. The chunk that holds the screen is .325”.

Sorry I couldn’t find a tape measure, we only have vernier calipers around here...
Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
The edge profile has two “stages.”

The outermost edge is .070” thick. The chunk that holds the screen is .325”.

Sorry I couldn’t find a tape measure, we only have vernier calipers around here...
Robbie

That's quite alright! I can work with decimals and that picture is incredibly helpful!

Joinke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So i have few questions for my 68

It’s a october 68 does it have the push-button door handles or the trigger type ones ? Also doors lockable from inside ? Some other things i should keep in mind specific to the year ?

Thx in advance !
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Joinke wrote:

It’s a october 68 does it have the push-button door handles or the trigger type ones ? Also doors lockable from inside ? Some other things i should keep in mind specific to the year ?

Thx in advance !

Welcome!
Oct 68 makes it a 1969 model year, the door handles should be the trigger style and the inner lever should have a second smaller lever with it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_1968bus.php

Слава Україні!
Joinke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Joinke wrote:

Thx in advance !

Welcome!
Oct 68 makes it a 1969 model year, the door handles should be the trigger style and the inner lever should have a second smaller lever with it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_1968bus.php

Thx this answers all my questions parts wise because There are alot changes and so i know the correct ones are on now Very Happy thx for the link thats awesome ! Going to nerd out on that Laughing

Thx !
Cashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

New to me 71’ Westy

1. I’m going to take off the fire wall panel to access the gas tank for needed maintenance. I’m purchasing replacement items ahead of time and I’ve read that there is a foam/sticky seal around the panel...is there a recommended replacement for this seal? Or can I go to any hardware store and by generic weatherstripping that will closely match it.
2. I have a Eberspächer BN4 currently installed, does that present an issue in removing said panel, or will the panel clear the heater? Wanting to get ahead of the project, limited time/help, and would prefer the least amount of surprises.

Thanks,
1972 Type 3 - FI/Automatic “Kürbis” - sold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cashed wrote:
New to me 71’ Westy

1. I’m going to take off the fire wall panel to access the gas tank for needed maintenance. I’m purchasing replacement items ahead of time and I’ve read that there is a foam/sticky seal around the panel...is there a recommended replacement for this seal? Or can I go to any hardware store and by generic weatherstripping that will closely match it.
2. I have a Eberspächer BN4 currently installed, does that present an issue in removing said panel, or will the panel clear the heater? Wanting to get ahead of the project, limited time/help, and would prefer the least amount of surprises.

Thanks,

The sealing tape usually survives, if not home weatherstrip will do fine. The heater has to come out first since the duct is on top of the tank cover.
I assume you've already seen this?: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629435&highlight=sender+repair

Слава Україні!
Cashed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Cashed wrote:
New to me 71’ Westy

Thanks,

The sealing tape usually survives, if not home weatherstrip will do fine. The heater has to come out first since the duct is on top of the tank cover.
I assume you've already seen this?: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629435&highlight=sender+repair

Good information while I’m in there, I’ll take a look at the sender and condition of the tank. The previous filter was in bad shape, however since I’ve put a new one in, its been fairly clean. I don’t think I’ve actually filled the tank all the way since I’m suspect of the filler neck. I’ve replaced all the fuel lines with exception to the neck and two pieces of breather and I still get occasional strong whiffs of gas close proximity to the gas cap and going around corners.
1972 Type 3 - FI/Automatic “Kürbis” - sold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LarryC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: What do I call this part and where can I buy one? Reply with quote

It's hard looking up a part when you don't know the name! I need one of these roller thingies that helps hold open the engine lid on my 70 Westy. Any hints? An exhaustive Google search suggests that it is not called "VW bus roller thingie." Also, is there any other party or clip I'll need? Thanks.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

You can pick up a "C" clip from a Ace Hardware store. ^^^

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211827423

Here are the other parts.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 413, 414, 415 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 414 of 515

Jump to: