Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6 weeks on the road to Albania
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: 6 weeks on the road to Albania Reply with quote

Hi All
We just got back from our trip from Czech to Albania thru Hungary, Bosnia, Croatia, and Montenegro...
...the good news is the GEorge made is without even the slightest of small mechanical issues! I'm really proud of him! Smile
Sorry for not documenting the trip as we went but part of the trip for me is unplugging myself from the Internet as much as I can afford.
Here are some pics...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 6 weeks on the road to Albania Reply with quote

Awesome! Dancing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 6 weeks on the road to Albania Reply with quote

Great to hear and see after your rustoration!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 weeks on the road to Albania Reply with quote

I like how the side window pops open Cool

I need to fabricate some type of table/stove/sink like yours so I can make my coffee, etc.

Is yours this?

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometic-hs2460lus-tw...gcQAvD_BwE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 weeks on the road to Albania Reply with quote

Super cool trip, Ed!! And congrats on the mechanical victory! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 weeks on the road to Albania Reply with quote

Hooray! Thanks for the pics. Looks wonderful.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: 6 weeks on the road to Albania Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
I like how the side window pops open Cool

I need to fabricate some type of table/stove/sink like yours so I can make my coffee, etc.

Is yours this?

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometic-hs2460lus-tw...gcQAvD_BwE

Yes that looks like what I have. Pretty expensive to buy it separately. For my new Canadian tin-top van which I will start to camperize in September I will buy a different kitchen set up. I researched that all last year and found some good components but seem to have lost the text docs. where I had that info... Sad Anyhow, I think I remember finding a 2 burner stove and sink both as separate items, and MUCH cheaper... so I will probably go with something like that for my new van.

The side window opens and stays open with a collapsible rod that turns... not sure how the thing works mechanically...

- - -

Regarding my trip and the van's mechanics. The only issues I noticed were that when I had to go in reverse gear for a longer stretch it made a pretty weird and unusual noise... the van moved backwards normally however. I think it might be that the shift linkage might be rubbing a bit while in reverse? I'll check that.

The other thing is that I suspect my heater core might be on it's last legs because I can smell a bit of antifreeze when the heat is on.

Also I think my steering column needs a rebuild. This is a problem I have had for a long time... when I go over a bumpy gravel road the whole column shakes a lot. Also there is a load scraping sound when I turn the steering wheel... there is something under there that needs tacking down.

Of course, we didn't actually drive all that far... less than 3000km total, and my GF doesn't like to go too far on one day so usually we'd go max 4 or 5 hours in one day - and there would be no problems. Cooling system, transmission, clutch, engine, electronics, etc etc everything worked well.
The only thing I notice is that if we drive longer - like around 7 or 8 hours, it seems to lose power a bit even though the temp gauge reads normal. My guess is that even though the temperature of the coolant is normal, the long long driving causes the engine metal to expand a bit which causes a slight power loss >>> anyway, I consider this normal for such an old engine.

From my rough calculation tell me that the engine is using about 7 liters per 100km and that is fully loaded going on rough roads.

Propane use seems to be about MAX 1kg of propane for 2 weeks constant use (no fridge).

What else......? Probably the main annoyance on the trip we mosquitoes at night and flies during that day (the more the further south we went). Albania and to a lesser degree Montenegro, and an even lesser degree Bosnia have a lot of garbage all around.... this seems to increase the flies.
For sure next year I will try to figure out some way to rig up some mesh screens or something to block those insects.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: