Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:

Thanks Birdmanhere! I'll take a look at them. They look great on your bus. I like the ammo box too.
I have a bay window fog light switch in my dash now, I'm wondering if I'll need a relay for the driving lights, and how to wire everything together properly?

When I rewired my bus I ran a second fuse box with a direct feed from the battery for anything non factory, and anything stock is on the stock fuse panel.
Best to run them with a relay as they can pull a lot of amps.
The most lights should come with a relay if you get a kit, and the bay window switch should be able to trigger the relay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Birdmanhere wrote:
silkvw wrote:

Thanks Birdmanhere! I'll take a look at them. They look great on your bus. I like the ammo box too.
I have a bay window fog light switch in my dash now, I'm wondering if I'll need a relay for the driving lights, and how to wire everything together properly?

When I rewired my bus I ran a second fuse box with a direct feed from the battery for anything non factory, and anything stock is on the stock fuse panel.
Best to run them with a relay as they can pull a lot of amps.
The most lights should come with a relay if you get a kit, and the bay window switch should be able to trigger the relay.

I do have a second fuse box, like you did, so I'll use it. And order the lights with the kit.
I know I can come up with a mounting bracket. Running the wiring from outside to inside may be a challenge. Perhaps follow the CB antenna wire.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

I have been working on a few. more things on the bus.
More wet sanding, getting close to the front again.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got another pop out window installed. This one was much easier. I did use a slightly longer screw to get the process started, then, after a couple were tight, I replaced the longer screws with the correct ones.

I have one more ready to install. The "Bob Marley" window. This one will have all three new seals. I had to cut up the frame to get the glass out. It was rusted really bad.

Clamping the frame to glass was stressful! Bob Marley did survive. He was on the bus when I bought it.

Also, I must have goofed up and done something right, my wife brought two gifts this week. She said "early Fathers Day"
One is a really nice, made in Germany picnic blanket in a bag.

The other is a very well made stool. Powder coated, casters with bearings and M10 bolts to hold everything together. From COSTCO.

I'm continuing to move forward. SST 2020.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Since I'm planing on a round trip to Northern Cal, which means several nights of camping, I wanted some security for what will be in the bus, (including me). So I took all the handles off and sent them to my friend Steve, in Austin. He will include a new ignition switch, with VW logo keys to match all the handles.

I also got new door panels for my single cab from Clara.
I am really impressed with the packaging. Very safe and secure, no damage at all. Instructions included.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Update for the last 2 months.
I have been working on the single cab since it started making a growling noise in May, and I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Of course, it wouldn't start, just to move it into the shop. Starter did work, so I guessed the 10 or 12 year old hard start solenoid was bad. And it was.

So, I replaced the brakes shoes and cylinders in the front and one wheel bearing. As I'm bleeding the brakes, I notice one rear wheel is very wet. Time to replace the rear brakes too, but not without much trouble for me and a friend getting a brake drum off. Very rusty splines. Clean it up, put it together, test drive......still have the noise. I ask my long time VW mechanic friend to ride with me, since I did some woodworking for him. He thinks it's a problem in the RGB. Inside the box is new territory for me, but I start unbolting. Spacer won't slip off.

The nut behind the metal plug was a challenge too. 1 5/8" socket works.

Got to keep the axle from turning at the same time too.

Some how, one of the gears in the box was able to move, and grind on the inside of the box. That's where I put the blue tape.

( yes, I remembered to take the tape off ) : )
Took a break for a car show with my friend Matt C.

Best tool ever to get the big snap ring out "Knipex". 10 seconds, and ring was out.

Home made ones work too.

A big thanks to John S. my mech. friend for pressing parts off and blasting the stub shaft so clean. And answering my questions.

And, after bleeding and adjusting I went for a drive yesterday, and the noise is gone!

I have 11,000 miles on the Shasta bus, and plan to go to Jerome AZ in Sept. Sure would like to meet up with another bus driver on the way there and back.

gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Birdmanhere wrote:
silkvw wrote:

Questions:
1. Any recommendations for roof rack mounted driving lights?

I have Hella 500 driving beams mounted on my rack.
Great lighting pattern, classic proven beam.

Did you have that rack built?
Thanks.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Hey Shasta Veterans,

Have a question. If a bunch of eastern Canadian early bus dudes were to build a SST bus and participate, would it be ok if we brought a film crew with us to capture the spirit of the event? Who would I contact to discuss this?

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
Birdmanhere wrote:
silkvw wrote:

Questions:
1. Any recommendations for roof rack mounted driving lights?

I have Hella 500 driving beams mounted on my rack.
Great lighting pattern, classic proven beam.

Did you have that rack built?
Thanks.

I purchased a HWE single cab kit from Rusties here off the samba.
I shortened it and had some steel bent for the front and had it welded up by a friend who is a welder by trade.
There are more shots of the rack in my gallery
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Terry Gaudet wrote:
Hey Shasta Veterans,

Have a question. If a bunch of eastern Canadian early bus dudes were to build a SST bus and participate, would it be ok if we brought a film crew with us to capture the spirit of the event? Who would I contact to discuss this?

I would say, check with kombisutra. I'm just a wannabe at this point.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

I'm guessing the wrenches are turning fast for the 2020 SST. Will that film crew be making a movie? Pray

Will Birdmanhere bring his bus with the most beautiful roof rack I have ever seen? Looking forward to updates. I also wish someone would mass-produce that rack!

Am I weird for liking fasteners, I just love these.

silkvw wrote:
Terry Gaudet wrote:
Hey Shasta Veterans,

I would say, check with kombisutra. I'm just a wannabe at this point.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I'm guessing the wrenches are turning fast for the 2020 SST. Will that film crew be making a movie? Pray

Will Birdmanhere bring his bus with the most beautiful roof rack I have ever seen? Looking forward to updates. I also wish someone would mass-produce that rack!

I know my wrenches are turning. I still have my "to do" list and a shopping list.
I did have a distraction last week with an oil filter failure, and 3 quarts of oil on the floor, but I'm back on the road now.

I am wondering if the northern CA forest fires are near Mt. Shasta?

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

I'm nearly ready for our Big Bend Bus trip Dec. 26. Lots of little things to do. I did buy and install the wide side view mirror arms. Made in TX.

And I removed my oil cooler. I have not been satisfied with the way I installed it. Coil and valve was too low, I don't need to hit a rock with it at Big Bend or Shasta.
Also had a photo shoot a few weeks ago. My wife and coworkers for the local paper.

I'm still looking forward to and getting ready for the SST Jan. 31, 2020.

Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

big bend ready! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

Those mirrors look awesome!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:

Thanks.
Mirrors came from O'Reilly Auto Parts. I added the little round "blind spot" mirrors too.

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
vwuberalles wrote:

Thanks.
Mirrors came from O'Reilly Auto Parts. I added the little round "blind spot" mirrors too.

What about the arms?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

I saw the mirror arms on some buses at the TX Busfest so asked where to buy some. I was told to contact the maker via instagram at 64_ragtop_volks.

Well made, fit just right and a nice guy to deal with.

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

awesome, thanks!
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

One of my projects for tomorrow:

Trans mid mount from Wolfgang Int. The instructions say it does limit front of trans movement both up and down.

silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Texas to Shasta Snow Trip 2020 - 1959 Bus Reply with quote

I'm still satisfied with the Wolfgang kit, but, it did take me 2 hours to get 3 of the 4 studs out of the trans. I used vice grips and some heat to get them out. I'm sure a lift would have made it easier, but I don't have one.
So, I'm not finished right now, it got cold and dark where I was working.
Perhaps tomorrow I'll give it another try.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: