Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to install PRP 4-point harness in buggy?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanderk_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: How to install PRP 4-point harness in buggy? Reply with quote

Looking for technical advice from fellow buggy owners who may have had the same or similar issue.

I purchased PRP Roadster seats & adjustable seat tracks for my buggy. When I placed the order, I also purchased PRP's 4.2 harness which is a lap belt / shoulder belt system.

Question is how to mount the seat belts to be safest / most effective? At this point I bolted the seats to the tracks, then made a plywood template & drilled the floor pans for holes to fit the tracks.

After a test fit, I felt the best option for the lap belts was to remove the rear seat-to-seat track bolt & use that as a location for the lap belt mount. I had to bend the mounting tabs slightly to get it fit as I wanted & mount in the correct angle.

My issue is really how to mount the 4 shoulder straps? I really have nothing in the rear of the buggy to mount to. My 'roll bar' is really only the traditional 'show bar' & it has no cross brace to mount to & obtain a safe angle. My next thought was to anchor the shoulder straps to a 6" square steel plates 'sandwiched' above & below the "rear seat area". This may work on the passenger side but I have spare tire well behind the driver, thus no fiberglass to even sandwich a plate.

The shoulder straps aren't long enough, even at max adjustment to even reach any other surface.... Included is a photo to sort of show what i'm facing. Since photo was taken, I have permanently reinstalled the room bar & repositioned the shoulder straps inside the adjustable head rests of the seats.

Suggestions?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to install PRP 4-point harness in buggy? Reply with quote

You’ll need to be careful how low and at what angle the shoulders straps are. Too low and too sharp and angle can create a safety issue, ie snaped spines...

http://www.crowenterprizes.com/Pages/Install.html

AMAC
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: How to install PRP 4-point harness in buggy? Reply with quote

Either install a bar in the correct location for the shoulder belts, or install lap belts only.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: How to install PRP 4-point harness in buggy? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Either install a bar in the correct location for the shoulder belts, or install lap belts only.

Ditto....

You need a solid support across tub to keep harness at approximately shoulder height, should be part of your roll bar assembly. The reason is the shoulder harness needs to hold you back in seat and not pull you down into seat, if harness pulls you down into seat there is danger of spinal compression injury...

IF you didn't see it go back to AMAC's post and look at link to Crow installation page for harnesses...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: How to install PRP 4-point harness in buggy? Reply with quote

Most belt manufacturers want you to mount the belts in a 10-15* window below your shoulder height (not the seat height). IF you cannot install the shoulder belts in this way, don not install them at all. In a front end collision having the belts down to low will compress your spine and break your back. You can mount the end of the belts down low on the rear of the tub but you MUST have a shoulder bar that the belts will go over that will keep them up higher within the desired window of angle.

When my car was tech'd to run at Bonneville they actually took a protractor reading on the shoulder belts.

brad
zanderk_98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install PRP 4-point harness in buggy? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. I know incorrect installation of shoulder straps at the incorrect angle can cause more issues than they are intended to prevent in an accident.

After thinking about the options, I've decided to scrap the idea & not use the PRP harnesses at all. I ordered a simple pair of lap belts instead today. Honestly, I purchased the 4-point harness back when I ordered my custom seats because I thought they looked good & I could save on shipping to have them sent with the seats. Never intend to ever go off-road or racing with this buggy. It's a stock 1300cc single port buggy that strictly a fun cruiser for pleasure & occasional car show.

Anyone interested in the 2 harnesses, send me a PM. Literally brand new out of the box.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install PRP 4-point harness in buggy? Reply with quote

Don't think that the streets are safer than off road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: