Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 435, 436, 437 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hubster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mccandmore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Finally took our bus (and my 11 year old) to a spot I’ve been coveting for a while. Missouri has some gems...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I installed air bags

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Finished cleaning & painting the undercarriage and engine compartment on our 73 to get ready for the new engine.

airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I know, it's a post without pictures - is it even worth reading?

we'll see.

On the drive home yesterday I got about 90% of the way there when SOMEBODY in traffic suddenly had a REALLY STRONG GASOLINE SMELL.

It just kept getting worse. The smell of gasoline suddenly got so strong that I started losing power. Oh crap, that's me.

Pulled over quick and killed the ignition. Grabbed the fire extinguisher and headed to the back. Checked everything quick and didn't see any smoke/etc, so I opened up all the doors/windows to air it out and then went looking.

The hose clamp going from the #1 injector rail over to the FPR had blown off and was dumping gasoline all over the foam seal. All of the paint on the tinware over here is now bubbling and looking like crap. GREAT. I just had the engine out a month+ ago and I still haven't quite gotten it running 100% since that time and now im dumping gasoline all over everything.

I pulled the AFM so I had better access to things and got it back on and tightened up properly. This is every bus persons worst fear - becoming another stupid VW bus fire statistic. I reinstalled everything and then put the key in the ignition so I could manually activate the fuel pump using the AFM wiper and verify there was no more leak.

Grabbed my fire extinguisher and fired it up once more. Gave it a few revs to confirm it wasn't blowing the hose off again and then drove the rest of the way home.

This weekend I plan to go over every single one of those hose clamps to verify that everything is nice and tight and that there are no cracks anywhere.

Just a reminder - if you recently touched EVERY SINGLE HOSE CLAMP - carry a fire extinguisher and watch for issues. I did for the first few test drives, but have gotten pretty casual about it since then. It took 6 weeks of driving before this one popped off.
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

mccandmore wrote:
Finally took our bus (and my 11 year old) to a spot I’ve been coveting for a while. Missouri has some gems...

That's amazingly beautiful.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Last weekend, I went to replace my rearmost roof panel with everything else still installed (I don't have a headbanger shelf) and managed to break the damn thing.

So I used what remained to make a new sliding door panel. Lemonade time, I guess. And I made a new rear hatch panel with what was leftover from the original 4x8 piece of birch.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
Jack_O_Trades
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I have a build thread but no time to update it so here it is. Got the bus street legal and running again after being down for about two years. Now it’s officially a rolling restoration with much more to do to get it “finished”

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Wow...! Your bus is looking great! I love all the original parts in the engine compartment. Your even running a throttle positioner! Nice.

Keep up the great work.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Jack_O_Trades wrote:

Yes, looking good in there. I assume you will be doing some wiring cleanup on the left side to match the cleanliness of the rest of that bay.

Also, your decklid prop spring is inside out. Flip it over, and you won't gouge your arm on it so readily.

Very nice bus you have there. Well done.
Jack_O_Trades
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Wow...! Your bus is looking great! I love all the original parts in the engine compartment. Your even running a throttle positioner! Nice.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks! and thanks for the help on the fuel line.

I do have some green braided fuel line but forgot which part of the vacuum system it goes to.

cdennisg wrote:
quote]

Yes, looking good in there. I assume you will be doing some wiring cleanup on the left side to match the cleanliness of the rest of that bay.

Also, your decklid prop spring is inside out. Flip it over, and you won't gouge your arm on it so readily.

Very nice bus you have there. Well done.

Thanks!

Yes, most of the wiring on the left is for my gauges (AFM, Fuel pressure, CHT, Oil Temp) I need to clean it up and get it into some loom.

Thanks for the heads up on the prop spring. I remember thinking about this but wasn't sure. I'll flip it ASAP.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Got sick of fighting with the rear drums. Would not, WOULD not budge. The shoes weren't contacting the drum, would spin nice and smooth and quiet so knew it was the drums stuck to the hub. Tried busdaddy's BFE+2x4=rock it off. No joy. Broke down and bought this puppy.
Mmmmmmmmm. POWAH!!!! Both off in minutes. Now pissed at myself for wasting all that time Sad

Back brakes done Smile. New shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, adjusters, hard and soft lines. Will hit the fronts next.

Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

How does that puller hold onto the rear drum? On my 74 there is a lip from the backing plate that goes around the back edge of the drum making it impossible to grab from behind with the arms?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
How does that puller hold onto the rear drum? On my 74 there is a lip from the backing plate that goes around the back edge of the drum making it impossible to grab from behind with the arms?

The '79 has that lip too. Well, it is supposed to have that lip but I'm in Maine, the lip returned to nature I think sometime in the 90s. With the lip there, the only way I can see doing it would be bending the lip away and then back afterwards, it's spot welded to the backing plate and will bend away but could bend the backing plate itself so I would advise only doing that if you are going to replace the plate anyway.

Even without that lip thingy, the grip on the drum is tenuous, there's not a lot of room before hitting the backing plate proper where it goes into the groove in the drum and you need 4 hands to get it situated right.
But.
When the better half is harping on when you are going to put the wheels back on it because she's tired of the Sanford & Son approach to exterior decor, gotta do what you gotta do Smile
Plus, Jtfxr69 has been on the road now for a month and has this pig roast thing coming up in a few months, I gotta get my ass rolling!!
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
notchboy wrote:

The '79 has that lip too. Well, it is supposed to have that lip but I'm in Maine, the lip returned to nature I think sometime in the 90s. With the lip there, the only way I can see doing it would be bending the lip away and then back afterwards, it's spot welded to the backing plate and will bend away but could bend the backing plate itself so I would advise only doing that if you are going to replace the plate anyway.

Even without that lip thingy, the grip on the drum is tenuous, there's not a lot of room before hitting the backing plate proper where it goes into the groove in the drum and you need 4 hands to get it situated right.
But.
When the better half is harping on when you are going to put the wheels back on it because she's tired of the Sanford & Son approach to exterior decor, gotta do what you gotta do Smile
Plus, Jtfxr69 has been on the road now for a month and has this pig roast thing coming up in a few months, I gotta get my ass rolling!!

Took the words right outta my mouth. Just put up some new fencing through the woods for the pigs to tractor up some more land for me. Working on a flyer now.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

Took the words right outta my mouth. Just put up some new fencing through the woods for the pigs to tractor up some more land for me. Working on a flyer now.

Getting closer! After two trips to FLAPS for brake lines, both rears are plumbed. Now I think I need to either rebuild or replace the master Sad stepped on the pedal to set the shoes, it went POP and I heard gushhhh but no fluid to be seen, so hopefully not so much popped out to damage the booster. Guess it will be good to replace all the lines after 40 years...
So, since can’t get either rebuild kit or master locally, I did the nasty job of packing the CVs, new boots, and installed. Got windshield washer system with a pump plumbed up before weather went shit this afternoon. Tomorrow, if it isn’t raining, will get back to bodywork, hoping to pull the windows this week. I WILL BE ON THE ROAD BEFORE THE LEAVES CHANGE!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:

Getting closer! After two trips to FLAPS for brake lines, both rears are plumbed. Now I think I need to either rebuild or replace the master Sad stepped on the pedal to set the shoes, it went POP and I heard gushhhh but no fluid to be seen, so hopefully not so much popped out to damage the booster. Guess it will be good to replace all the lines after 40 years...
So, since can’t get either rebuild kit or master locally, I did the nasty job of packing the CVs, new boots, and installed. Got windshield washer system with a pump plumbed up before weather went shit this afternoon. Tomorrow, if it isn’t raining, will get back to bodywork, hoping to pull the windows this week. I WILL BE ON THE ROAD BEFORE THE LEAVES CHANGE!

I have a new master that I bought but never installed if you need it. (Brazillian)
You better look out the window...leaves already changing here. August is summer for everyone else, here its early fall. PM me if you want master, I’ll roadtrip over this week and can help you out.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Almost have the floor ready to weld in. The funky green floor panel was the way (for me) to go. Lays right in, no real fitment issues. I punched and drilled out the holes for welding the floor in (not near as many as VW though was enough). I just put the first coat of POR 15 (gray) in the nooks and crannies and will go back in later and cover any "holidays" where I missed. Tomorrow I will sand the areas where the floor welds into place and (crosses fingers) weld the floor in for good. Shocked

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
ImAddicted wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:

I have a new master that I bought but never installed if you need it. (Brazillian)
You better look out the window...leaves already changing here. August is summer for everyone else, here its early fall. PM me if you want master, I’ll roadtrip over this week and can help you out.

Jetfxr drove over from NH to Maine today with the above MC, helped me install it, and hung out for a few hours talking. Was a great morning, thank you SIR!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 435, 436, 437 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 436 of 464

Jump to: