Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running board trim... shape?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

All,

I am looking to replace my running board trim on my 1967 Beetle convertible (has gotten a bit dented up) with replacement anodized aluminum, and I noticed something odd - the ends of the running board trim I was looking at are different. I have the following running board trims:
* Original (I believe) to car
* NOS in wrapper
* Reproduction from Airhead VW Parts
* Stainless steel (off of Wolfsburg West running boards).

In the picture below are the running board from my car (I have no reason to believe it is not original) and the NOS (still in its VW wrapper). Notice how the one on the car is more pointed than the NOS one
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the picture below are the Airhead VW Parts and the NOS in wrapper. Notice the Airhead VW Parts version has the more pointed ends.

As a note, I believe the SS from Wolfsburg West also has the more square edges.

So, anyone have original running boards from 67 who would like to chime in with pictures of theirs to show which is more original?

-Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

From the 1967 owner's manual:

Note the 1966-67 rim in the image. Trim looks squared...
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

Harry, The right ends would be squared....not pointed.
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

Harry, I also have a 67 convertible (Aug 66, early production) that has the same identical running board trim as the type you have pictured already mounted on your running board. (slightly rounded, not squared, same width) I likewise have reason to think that mine are original to the car and not aftermarket replacements. I'm not 100% sure what the '66 running board trims looked like, but I would think the picture referenced from the 67 manual probably used the same photo from the '66 manual since it was regarding a wheel change procedure common to both years. Remember that VW would sometimes carry over reference photos in owner's manuals from year to year. I might be wrong, but I think the 67 owner's manual photo shows a 66 car and subsequently, the 66 running board trim.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Harry, I also have a 67 convertible (Aug 66, early production) that has the same identical running board trim as the type you have pictured already mounted on your running board. (slightly rounded, not squared, same width) I likewise have reason to think that mine are original to the car and not aftermarket replacements. I'm not 100% sure what the '66 running board trims looked like, but I would think the picture referenced from the 67 manual probably used the same photo from the '66 manual since it was regarding a wheel change procedure common to both years. Remember that VW would sometimes carry over reference photos in owner's manuals from year to year. I might be wrong, but I think the 67 owner's manual photo shows a 66 car and subsequently, the 66 running board trim.

Don't the wheels appear to be 1967 not 1966? My convertible that has the OE running boards and trim is more squared and not at all like the almost arrow shaped one pictured. If anything, I would run the mounted one, on the oe running board or the squared one, but not the hideous arrow shaped one.
Also, when I worked for VW...1970s....we never got running board trim wrapped in paper, it was always in a plastic sleeve.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

Has anyone gone to the "Damage Numbers" manual to see if there was more than one manufacture of the trim in 1966? VW often used more than one supplier for parts.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

[quote="Eric&Barb"]Has anyone gone to the "Damage Numbers" manual to see if there was more than one manufacture of the trim in 1966? VW often used more than one supplier for parts.[/quote

This means nothing since I wasn't there when the trim was put on my 1967s running boards.....but I just pulled a piece off and measured it, almost 18mm wide, stainless, with the VW logo, stamped almost an inch from the end, where the metal is folded over to hold the clips. The ends are (ROUNDED) like the one that is already on your running board. I would check to see if either of your new pieces have VW stamped on the metal. As Eric and Barb said earlier, trim may have come from more than one source...highly likely. But, pulling what I know to be original running board trim for a 1967....I was originally wrong. Now, was a sedan running board trim different from a convertible. These were cheap cars to start with....Now, me included, are way overthinking the small stuff. If you want to be correct, and I know the VW markings are there, wait for an original with this mark. I say , for you, since I know how correct this vehicle must be, WAIT for an original
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:

Now, since really investigating, I believe this is an earlier model with the larger trim, maybe 22mm. This photo shows the later model wheels and earlier trim on the running boards , squared ends are right for these.

Well, another Saturday morning shot.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

Whew - thanks to you guys, I have now gone through all of my coffee table Beetle books, through my Garwood, through my book on Beetle ads, and looked through the vintage photographs here. Want to know what I found out?

For some reason, no one focused on the running board trim ends!! I know, weird, right? They all seemed to want to show the whole car. <sigh>. Looking at the ones I could see, I saw... both. There were pictures in which I said, "those are *definitely* rounded" followed by "those are *definitely* square. What I will say is that all of the 68s I could see the trim well enough with, showed squared edges, whereas the 67s were the ones that showed both.

So - I have an early 67 convertible (67conv, but mine is Oct), maybe it was :
* different between the sedan and convertible (unlikely), or perhaps
* a small change Garwood didn't see within the model year (possible), or
* different suppliers (I would have thought Volkswagen would be very particular of their part stamping?)

If you have a 67, could you post a picture of the end of your running board trim, and say when your bug was manufactured (or VIN) and whether it was a convertible or sedan?

I'll take a look at the VW stampings on the ends, as wheel607 suggested, as well.

While it has used up my Saturday morning, at least this is an interesting mystery which I'm not sure we have delved into before.

-Harry
[/list]
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

Maybe there is a correlation between 67s with SB12 marked headlight trim and 67s with square running board trim... Smile

- Harry
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

Harry, here are a couple pictures of the running board trims I have on my 67 convertible. As I said before, they appear to be the original factory items and identical to yours, as pictured mounted on your running board from original post. I do not believe the 'squared' end ones are correct for this year, nor the ragged looking "roundish end" aftermarket types either.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

Well I'll toss in my example......

My very original '67 has squared ones.
So..... if you're not going to use the squared ones Harry Smile I want dibs. Smile

harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

Haha, Jos! When was your Beetle built? Is it a convertible or sedan? I think I'm going to start gathering statistics... Wink

- Harry
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

L41 Convertible built in October.

harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
This means nothing since I wasn't there when the trim was put on my 1967s running boards.....but I just pulled a piece off and measured it, almost 18mm wide, stainless, with the VW logo, stamped almost an inch from the end, where the metal is folded over to hold the clips. The ends are (ROUNDED) like the one that is already on your running board.

Wheel607 - when was your convertible manufactured? After Jos' remark, whether it is rounded or squared seems to be more random. I'll have to do more documentation research (as opposed to pictures).

-Harry
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

Very interesting, Jos! I might be wrong but there might be a correlation here between rounded and squared trims and 'early' production 67 convertibles (with 66 and earlier rear bumper rails, wooden rear top body bows sans cables and chrome strip above the rear window) and the later same year versions with the slanted "67 only" bumper rails, front seat back rest knob on side, etc. Just a thought. Harry, yours is early - correct? BTW, my vin is 157063833. August 1966

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

FWIW, looking at scanned photos of my old '67 sedan, definitely original, it seems to have had rounded ends. It was probably a later model judging from the seat back release location and the slanted rear overriders.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
L41 Convertible built in October.

This doesn't help at all....since you weren't there when these running boards were put on. You really don't know that they have been with the car since new. And a picture of both ends of the running board would help....and what material are they made out of...stainless or anodized aluminum.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
Well I'll toss in my example......

My very original '67 has squared ones.
So..... if you're not going to use the squared ones Harry Smile I want dibs. Smile

This appears to be two separate strips on the same car. It seems like we are getting far from the reality here. I would go with the factory rounded edges, and call it a day. Check the back and make sure it has the VW logo stamped. And, stainless steel is I suggest the most expensive or best new one installed. If they were randomly used (interchangeable) in 1967 as it has been proven..go with the best. You will never be chastised for an upgrade if that is the case.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Running board trim... shape? Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
And, stainless steel is I suggest the most expensive or best new one installed. If they were randomly used (interchangeable) in 1967 as it has been proven..go with the best. You will never be chastised for an upgrade if that is the case.

I was trying to solve a mystery, not necessarily go for "the best." Personally, I'm planning on using anodized aluminum, but that's just my "originality" side talking. Wink Right now I have both shapes in aluminum.

As for the shape, I don't think we've necessarily come to a conclusion - just that both square and rounded were used, not why one may have been used over the other.

For my matter, my car is a mid-October car (just before a change in how the convertible top was mounted, with chromed trim).

I'm currently going through all of the pictures of 1967 Beetles on OldBug, hoping to be able to see what causes one or the other. No conclusions yet, but I have seen both styles on bugs purported to be "original". I might expand it out to 1968 and 1969 Beetles, just use up my free time... Wink

-Harry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: