Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

I bought a 27' motorhome and think the Manx would look/be better than a golf cart, but I would also want to carry, paddleboards, etc. so 'enclosed' may be the best option. 'Anybody here using one? Thanks.

Jim
Manx #2614
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

i just purchases a hallmark passport 24' for my buggy and my golf cart.

will be its garage and transport. needed room for the golf cart just because.. will be fun at shows. lol

if you only need it for the buggy, you could get away with something way smaller.
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

I have a 20' enclosed that I used to put Manxter #033 in. A 20' will give you a lot of extra room for your extra gear.

Olli
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

If you get any trailer get at least a 18' trailer to haul any car on. Get a tandem axle with electric brakes. Make sure the RV is rated to pull at least a 5000 Lb. trailer.

Check your state towing laws before you get anything.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
If you get any trailer get at least a 18' trailer to haul any car on. Get a tandem axle with electric brakes. Make sure the RV is rated to pull at least a 5000 Lb. trailer.

Check your state towing laws before you get anything.

Good stuff agree with all of that. Tandem axles and elect brakes are a must.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

A TRAILER?? Shocked I drive mine!

Ok I will have to confess to using my 20' trailer twice, the first time to pick the Buggy up from the guy I bought it from and the second time to take it to the ice races a 1 hour drive away. A 60 mph wind chill at -25* was a bit cooler than I was prepared to put up with!

On a side note, I can fit my Manx clone AND my sand rail in the 20" trailer. We have put a canoe on top the sand rail and all our camping gear around it. Drive the sand rail out when we get there and the trailer becomes our living quarters.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

Olli from NJ wrote:
I have a 20' enclosed that I used to put Manxter #033 in. A 20' will give you a lot of extra room for your extra gear.

Olli

I apologize not hiacking but Olli I currently own #33 and would love to touch base with you. Amazing car ya built !

AMAC
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

If you go with a trailer with electric brakes I'd consider getting a Tekonsha Prodigy Bluetooth brake controller. I had always had the typical "hard wired" Hayes controllers over the years on our trailers. The Prodigy puts the control computer on the trailer itself. It makes the control module up front just a cigarette lighter style plug in which eliminates the "knee knocker" module you usually have with these systems. Just double check (I'm fairly sure they do) that it can still interface at your total length for your RV.
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

AMAC1680 wrote:
Olli from NJ wrote:

Olli

I apologize not hiacking but Olli I currently own #33 and would love to touch base with you. Amazing car ya built !

AMAC

Thanks. I e-mailed you. Feel free to contact me. Looking forward to it.
Manxter #33 has been featured in KitCar magazine, Hot Rod magazine, Motor Trend (pretty sure it was MT), seen in an episode of Full Custom Garage on Motor Trend TV, and also on Jay Leno's show.

Olli
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

No gracias... You guys overshoot the mark. I only want something to fit the minimums and carry water toys on the roof ...and a few things, like extra chairs, on the inside.

I have my wife's old horse trailer with brakes, etc. The body is bad so I could build a new body for it. Or get another utility trailer like I have but larger.

This is Friday the 28th.. and I did a dumb c'hit move I regret.

I was surfing this morning at Assateague Ntl Seashore and blitz out about noon to get back to work. I passed a 'motorhome pulling a buggy'. It was sitting in a parking lot near the bridge to go over to the barrier island. I could tell - it was an open trailer. I think the buggy color was gold or copper.

A. I didn't know the person...'did not want to intrude. B. I needed to get back and did want to loose a bunch of time.

'Chit! I shudda stopped. It is not often you see brother you did not know.

Jim
Manx #2614
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
No gracias... You guys overshoot the mark. I only want something to fit the minimums and carry water toys on the roof ...and a few things, like extra chairs, on the inside.

I have my wife's old horse trailer with brakes, etc. The body is bad so I could build a new body for it. Or get another utility trailer like I have but larger.

This is Friday the 28th.. and I did a dumb c'hit move I regret.

I was surfing this morning at Assateague Ntl Seashore and blitz out about noon to get back to work. I passed a 'motorhome pulling a buggy'. It was sitting in a parking lot near the bridge to go over to the barrier island. I could tell - it was an open trailer. I think the buggy color was gold or copper.

A. I didn't know the person...'did not want to intrude. B. I needed to get back and did want to loose a bunch of time.

'Chit! I shudda stopped. It is not often you see brother you did not know.

Jim

14’ long 7’ wide will fit a buggy. But you’ll be climbing over the bug to get in/out. Also very little side clearance. But as far as the bare minimum......

AMAC
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

I built a trailer with a 13×6 foot deck. It has a stationary V nose 3 feet high and 3 foot sides that are removable. It protects the cars from everything on our trips and tows like it isnt even there. Single axle, no brakes, torsion suspension. Plenty of room for the buggy and all the big things we take to Bonneville.

brad
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

16' Cargo Express, two axles with brakes, cost about $5000 if I remember. Also contains clothes hanging bars and the portable toilet. I installed extra lights with battery system, a winch for the car, wall heater, roof vents and an exhaust fan. The Thing is a close fit, the buggy fits with plenty of room. Usually travels behind my pickup camper. The beauty of an enclosed trailer is you can throw all those extra things in it, or even stuff you buy during a vacation without cluttering up your camper. Also serves as a changing room. Our most used combination is tandem bicycle, tandem kayak, and sidecar motorcycle. Since this picture I installed e-track tie down tracks on the floor and mounted a spare tire on the outside.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

Cool.. Thanks, guys. I'll keep my eyes open for a chassis. Even if tight - winch in/out should not be hard to rig. Cheers.

Jim
Manx #2614
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

I have had several enclosed trailers, and several open trailers.

Enclosed, a 14 foot is tight. That is why I no longer have them.

A 14 foot open is a different story, and I have an aluminum 14 foot dual axle now. Weighs 876 pounds empty and can carry 7000 Gross. I pull it with my Jeep Wrangler all over the place.

For the NORRA '18 race, I bought a 20 foot enclosed to haul all our gear, camping stuff, clothes, tools, spare parts, welder, air compressor .........
14 people have a LOT OF CRAP! Only time the buggy was in it was when they ran it out of gas at Ocotillo on I-8, and when It broke the suspension on Day 2 of the race. Only 1 flat on the way to California. 8000 mile round trip.

Here it is on Day 3. Picture was taken from the Pit as we passed on heading to San Ignacio to be ready for the pit there.

And at San Jose Del Cabo after winning 3rd in class.

For anything else, I prefer a open trailer because it is light weight, easier to load, (Invest in a winch if you get an enclosed trailer), and more versatile for other uses.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joeherb53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
16' Cargo Express, two axles with brakes, cost about $5000 if I remember. Also contains clothes hanging bars and the portable toilet. I installed extra lights with battery system, a winch for the car, wall heater, roof vents and an exhaust fan. The Thing is a close fit, the buggy fits with plenty of room. Usually travels behind my pickup camper. The beauty of an enclosed trailer is you can throw all those extra things in it, or even stuff you buy during a vacation without cluttering up your camper. Also serves as a changing room. Our most used combination is tandem bicycle, tandem kayak, and sidecar motorcycle. Since this picture I installed e-track tie down tracks on the floor and mounted a spare tire on the outside.

Do you have more photos of the trailer setup?
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Enclosed trailer for Manx - suggestions? Reply with quote

joeherb53 wrote:
KAmes wrote:

Do you have more photos of the trailer setup?

This is the only picture I have with the buggy in the trailer.

The big rings are for the car, they're bolted through a cross member under the floor.

This cheap little winch does the job just fine, I stand next to the car and steer through the window. It has a wireless remote.

Exhaust fan.

Second vent for the fan to draw fresh air.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: