Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stalling When Coming to Full Stop
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Stalling When Coming to Full Stop Reply with quote

My dad gave me an article to read on vacuum gauge diagnosis from Hot Rod mag that got me thinking, even though the examples were all for Holley carbs.

My van sometimes stalls when coming to a full stop after cruising for awhile. The most common place is coming to a stop on a freeway off ramp. All is good while braking until I put the clutch in. Then it can’t settle to it’s correct idle, may bounce around a bit, maybe stall. It might be fine for days, then do it repeatedly on stopping. Always with engine at operating temp.

Any thoughts?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling When Coming to Full Stop Reply with quote

try bypassing your Idle Stabilization Valve for a while... just remove the hose from the boot, plug the hole with a cork, cap the now open end of the stabilizer, disconnect electrical plug, and set your idle speed with the large diameter screw staring up at you on the throttle body.

you MIGHT just like not having the stabilizer in the circuit so much you leave it disconnected... like i have!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling When Coming to Full Stop Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
try bypassing your Idle Stabilization Valve for a while... just remove the hose from the boot, plug the hole with a cork, cap the now open end of the stabilizer, disconnect electrical plug, and set your idle speed with the large diameter screw staring up at you on the throttle body.

you MIGHT just like not having the stabilizer in the circuit so much you leave it disconnected... like i have!

Do you mean the electronic Idle Stabilization Control Unit, or the Idle Air Control Valve?

The PO had the ICU replaced, but I have a spare from my old van somewhere. If it’s the Idle Stabilizer, then to bypass, don’t you just plug the ends together?

Remember, it’s a “1.9” Digijet.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling When Coming to Full Stop Reply with quote

aw crap... just saw you had a 1.9. my bad. i don't know the 1.9 idle system well enough to advise.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eugenev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalling When Coming to Full Stop Reply with quote

Don't the 1.9's have a deceleration switch? You could have an issue there, old electric switches are temperature sensitive. Maybe warm up the van and then do the trouble shooting from there. Also check the air inlet hose, if the motor is getting into a position that a crack is exposed you can have an intermittent issue like that.

Wanted to bump your post back to the top as I know how frustrating these issues can be.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling When Coming to Full Stop Reply with quote

What is this deceleration switch?

It could be the air intake. The PO had some part of it replaced, and the guys at SAH said it still looked a bit wonky. It’s not a big deal, but weird because it’s so erratic, and only when nearing a full stop. Those last few feet I can see the engine struggling to find its idle. Though many times ai don’t notice until I try to turn.
eugenev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling When Coming to Full Stop Reply with quote

I didn’t want to go through adding a photo to the gallery so here is a link.

https://images.app.goo.gl/iWixaL1Q6JC3cdov8

If you think about it as the force of the vehicle moves the motor it could expose an air leak in the intake. Then when the van sputters it closes then opens then closes etc. I would check these two things first and they very well could be intermittent.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling When Coming to Full Stop Reply with quote

Thanks, studying my Bentley now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: