Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

I'd like to try some Wink

I also have the Thorsten Pieper. Believe Robbie has the Porsche ones.
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Hey y'all, I have the square port heads (029-101-371B) on my late 78. Are the valve adjusting screws 10mm or 8mm? Only reason I'm asking is because I need to order them today and I don't have access to measure them up.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

oshima wrote:
Hey y'all, I have the square port heads (029-101-371B) on my late 78. Are the valve adjusting screws 10mm or 8mm? Only reason I'm asking is because I need to order them today and I don't have access to measure them up.

stock late heads are 10 mm
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Exclamation Achtung Exclamation

'78+ North American buses usually have hydraulic lifters, which are not compatible with swivel-feet adjusting screws. The hydraulic lifters require constant contact from the screw to the valve, but the swivel-feet adjusters require clearance to get splashing oiling from the rocker arms.

If you have hydraulics, cancel the order. If you have solids, swivel on.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Exclamation Achtung Exclamation

'78+ North American buses usually have hydraulic lifters, which are not compatible with swivel-feet adjusting screws. The hydraulic lifters (happen to provide) constant contact (between) the screw (and) the valve, but the swivel-feet adjusters require clearance to get splash oiling from the rocker arms.

If you have hydraulics, cancel the order. If you have solids, swivel on.
Robbie

My Heiko-proferred swivelfoot adjusters now have 64,159 miles on them and they have smoothed out nicely. For the past 7,000 miles since June 7th, they have been actuating the valves on my new Len Hoffman heads with nary a complaint. I like this modification on all long-suffering air-cooled Volkswagen engines that must spend their time on the interstates. Today was 101* on Interstate 5 south of Sacramento, and we settled in qt 406* @ 65 mph and 16.9 mpg with a mild tailwind. Good nuff.
Colin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

I posted this issue over in the performance and engine forum first but the answers I am hearing are mostly from T1 folks. Anyone here who is using the swivel feet on new heads try either shims or bending the arm a few thousands to get the correct alignment? This is a new one to me, I've never had an arm this far off (left one in first photo). I think that the #1 exhaust is going to be too much rotation and valve guide side pressure. I haven't checked other exhaust arms yet to see if I have one that might work better. If so I'll do that tomorrow.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

I have found this thread really, really helpful.
I am fitting swivel feet to our 2.0l Kombi but as I had 1700 rocker assemblies I have done the work on those to fit the t-p 8mm swivel feet and solid spacers and at a later date I will fit 10mm adjusters to the stock rocker arms and swap them in. My understanding is that the work required is the same either way and so I took some pictures that might make it easier to visualise for anyone planning this highly rated upgrade.

I’ll copy the posts here from our main Kombi thread. I am waiting now for some wave/spring washers to take up the slack as my solid spacers are shorter than some! I currently have 0.06” shims under the rocker stands but I will hopefully update when I manage to check the geometry at half lift.

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Well, I kept the day clear today and spent it altering rocker arms to accept the swivel foot adjusters. The Kombi has 10mm adjusters but I am fitting the rocker assembly from a 1700. Eventually I will do the same work on the original rockers and refit them. One step at a time!

I’ll talk you through what I did with one pair of rockers.

First, I discarded the central springs and old thrust washers and took out the adjuster screws. I have solid spacers and new adjusters.

Then, cleaned all the parts with kerosene and IPA, and a scotch brite pad. The shaft was rotated smooth in oiled emery paper.

The ideal is to grind off 1.5mm from the bottom of the rocker. What I did was used an old adjuster screw to find a ‘zero’ point and then back out the screw 1.5 turns (it is a 1mm thread pitch). Then, blacken the end of the adjuster with a sharpie and grind with a bench grinder, alternating the two rockers and cooling in a tub of cold water in between. 10 seconds grinding makes them too hot to hold and start to steam! When the grinder reaches the screw you see it as fresh metal.

Once the screw comes out I protected the oil hole internally with a pipe cleaner (there is a cork in the central hole for the same reason). Then, clamped into a vice, protected with a strip of leather…

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

With the rocker arm clamped, I used a carbide ball burr in a pillar drill to countersink the hole, then a grinding stone to smooth the edges and three grades of fine abrasive paper to smooth off all the edges.

Blew out all the passages with compressed air and cleaned again with IPA.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Eventually got all eight arms done. The swivel foot is given extra clearance by the countersink, although it’s hard to see in the pics! Reading the various Samba threads, it is probably best to use a rocker stand shim, so actually the adjuster will be really well clear of the rocker arm. Annoyingly, my solid spacers are stock size and so there is about 3mm of lateral play when the shaft is installed (you can see it on the left, between the stand and the rocker arm). So, I think I need the spring washers to take up the slack. I’ve ordered some and they will fill the gap perfectly but there’ll be a delay before everything is fully fitted.
The adjusters look as though they line up very well.

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

When I decided to machine my rocker arms to accept swivel adjusters, I cobbed together a fixture to hold them in alignment with and perpendicular to the chuck. The holes are countersunk only. No other material is removed from the rocker arm. In use, the fixture is clamped to the bed of a milling machine or drill press, such that the rocker adjusting screw is concentric with the machining tool.

The fixture is made from stock aluminum extrusions and plate. I don't recall the exact dimensions of the parts, but if anyone is interested, I'll look them up. The mounting studs / nuts and adjusting bolt / nut is standard M8x1.25 hardware; the long bolt and nut is M8x1.0 The assembly screws are 10-32 flathead (I didn't have any metric flathead screws handy). The fixture uses a stock VW rocker arm shaft assembly. This whole fixture was built using a drill press and a band saw.

This fixture is for type 1 rocker arms. The same thing can be fabricated for type 4 rocker arms.

The fixture with a rocker arm in position:

The adjusting bolt and gauge plate: the adjusting bolt is adjusted until the plate is parallel with the long gauge bolt, then the nut is tightened.

Bottom view of fixture:

Side view:

Angle view:

Complete fixture with all parts:

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Telford Dorr, that is a thing of some beauty! I feel embarrassed that I just clamped mine, gripped with a leather strip and let the ball burr kind of centre itself. Although, being a ball, maybe it isn’t critical to be perpendicular?
Really good to see a range of methods to make this modification.

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Thanks.

I'm still looking for the optimal cutting tool to make this modification. Rocker arms are very hard metal, so it needs a tool which will cut without burning up, wearing out, or needing to be redressed after a rocker arm or two. It needs to be carbide at a minimum. Diamond? I'm not a (real) machinist, so any suggestions appreciated...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Thanks.

I'm still looking for the optimal cutting tool to make this modification. Rocker arms are very hard metal, so it needs a tool which will cut without burning up, wearing out, or needing to be redressed after a rocker arm or two. It needs to be carbide at a minimum. Diamond? I'm not a (real) machinist, so any suggestions appreciated...

to clean up rocker arms, I completely dissassemble them, glass bead them, and run water and compressed air thru them to get all the beads out. When done, they have a really nice texture on them - meaning that the steel is soft enough to flow with the beads. That would led me to believe a low speed machine tool bit or carbide bit in a real drill press with some oil would do a good job. A carbide burr the right size would work well too. That said, I sent mine out to bugguy1967 here who does that type work. I did not like how they held clearance when installed so I went back to polished screws, but mine were type 4. The way they held clearances had nothing to do with them machining. It was great.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

I think I’ve finally got my head around the concept of shim blocks under the rocker stand.
Because the base of the swivel foot stays flat against the valve tip, the ‘joint’ has moved towards the rocker arm a little (the internal depth of the foot).
To keep the same geometry there has to be a shim to raise the rocker stand by a similar amount. Like if you add a lash cap, as several people have pointed out. (Also, longer pushrods, to be accurate!)

The grinding etc of the rocker arm has very little to do with this. It just makes extra room for the swivelling foot if a) the adjuster is screwed very close to the arm, or b) the angle of the foot at ‘no valve lift’ is too great.
What I have realised is that BOTH of these things happen if you have no shim or only a small shim under the rocker stand. I now see why it is suggested to have about 0.005”-0.006” of shim.

I know this is obvious to some people, but it took me a while! I took pictures today that might help to show the differences.

First, an easy way to find the half lift point of the valves. Turning the pulley I made marks where the valve started and stopped moving (it’s easy to see). The half way point always seems to be TDC or BDC, as it happens.

My solid spacer is a bit short. I am waiting for spring washers, but you can see that three x1mm washers will fit on the shaft with room to spare. This explains why in some of my pics the adjusters are out of line. Ignore it!

With the valves adjusted to 0.006” you can see on the 1/2 cylinder side, which has 0.06” shims there is still room for adjustment on the locknuts.

On the 3/4 cylinder side the left rockers have 0.03” of shim and the right rockers have no shim at all. The adjusters needed to be backed further out, bringing the swivel foot closer to the rockers. I’ll show that in the next post.

Last edited by mcdonaldneal on Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

I’ll show what the adjusters look like. These rockers are all cut back 0.06” (1.5mm) First, if there is no shim.

The first two pics are at ‘no valve lift’. You can see the swivel foot is very close to the rocker and at a big angle.

Then, at half lift and full lift:

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Then with 0.06” shims. The adjuster has much more room and at half lift is much straighter.

The pics are ‘full lift’ and no lift (2 pics). You can see the adjuster is really free to swivel.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

I’ve actually ground the 10mm rocker arms from the Kombi and fitted the Thorsten Pieper swivel feet. I removed 0.06” from the arms and have a 0.06” shim under the rockers. There’s enough clearance without any countersink.
Pics show a side by side of the 8mm and 10mm arms. Also, due to the length of my solid spacers I have two hardened 1mm thrust washers and a hardened spring washer either side of the spacer. Looks perfect.

heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
I think I’ve finally got my head around the concept of shim blocks under the rocker stand.
Because the base of the swivel foot stays flat against the valve tip, the ‘joint’ has moved towards the rocker arm a little (the internal depth of the foot).
To keep the same geometry there has to be a shim to raise the rocker stand by a similar amount. Like if you add a lash cap, as several people have pointed out. (Also, longer pushrods, to be accurate!)

The grinding etc of the rocker arm has very little to do with this. It just makes extra room for the swivelling foot if a) the adjuster is screwed very close to the arm, or b) the angle of the foot at ‘no valve lift’ is too great.
What I have realised is that BOTH of these things happen if you have no shim or only a small shim under the rocker stand. I now see why it is suggested to have about 0.005”-0.006” of shim.

I know this is obvious to some people, but it took me a while! I took pictures today that might help to show the differences.

First, an easy way to find the half lift point of the valves. Turning the pulley I made marks where the valve started and stopped moving (it’s easy to see). The half way point always seems to be TDC or BDC, as it happens.

My solid spacer is a bit short. I am waiting for spring washers, but you can see that three x1mm washers will fit on the shaft with room to spare. This explains why in some of my pics the adjusters are out of line. Ignore it!

With the valves adjusted to 0.006” you can see on the 1/2 cylinder side, which has 0.06” shims there is still room for adjustment on the locknuts.

On the 3/4 cylinder side the left rockers have 0.03” of shim and the right rockers have no shim at all. The adjusters needed to be backed further out, bringing the swivel foot closer to the rockers. I’ll show that in the next post.

That is some serious swivel footery.

As you guys probably have noticed. The swivel feet that I used to sell here on the Samba are no longer available.
I actually used to run them but they wore out relatively quickly and I went back to stock adjusters.
My supplier from Germany gave me issues when USPS lost the package and he wasn't able to claim the lost value from them.

I don't know if anyone of you has found another supplier here in the US with high quality parts.

Give me some feedback, are you guys still running your swivel foot adjusters?
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

Hi Heiko ,
That’s a shame you had issues with your supply of adjusters.
I have been running the 10mm adjusters (sourced direct from Germany) for just under a year, about 3000 miles. I’m pleased with them and the bus is running smoothly but I haven’t inspected them yet. I basically plan to have a look at the end of the season and review the clearances. I had them adjusted to 0.005”-0.006”.

I’m interested to know how you determined that yours were wearing? I have 1700 rocker shafts loaded up with the T-P 8mm swivel feet that I am planning to put on the Kombi I’m bringing back from Australia but I’d like to hear your experience.

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution!!! found 10mm swivel foot adjusters for type 4 rock Reply with quote

heiko910 wrote:

I went back to stock adjusters.
I don't know if anyone of you has found another supplier here in the US with high quality parts.

Give me some feedback, are you guys still running your swivel foot adjusters?

Hello heiko910,

The swivelfoot adjusters I bought from you now have 115,000 miles on them. My 1977 Westy "NaranjaWesty", has 155,000 miles.

The slightly troublesome adjusters I spoke about further up the thread a couple of years ago at 64,000 miles have now reached their end. I hope to find a couple of replacements! The others are fine, the valves are fine, the engine is fine.

08/2022 154,430 miles

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: