Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

Has anyone recently purchased an A1 header/exhaust or CSP header/exhaust lately?
Do you have any pictures of the weld quality both internal/externally?
A1 always had very good quality from what I understand but what about the CSP which are priced considerably less? I have reasons I am asking this that I am not willing to get into on a public forum. (Was just reading “how to hot rod your vw engine-old but still has juicy info in it)
I have a dual port motor (1776) in a bug.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

I have a few A1’s. I like the csp welds better, A1 are average. I wanted the csp wasp but it wouldn’t fit with my traction bar. Was told the A1 would clear everything, it didn’t. At least CSP was honest about it. I will snap some pics of the welds if I remember.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:

Do you have any pictures of the weld quality both internal/externally?
A1 always had very good quality from what I understand but what about the CSP which are priced considerably less? I have reasons I am asking this that I am not willing to get into on a public forum. (Was just reading “how to hot rod your vw engine-old but still has juicy info in it)
I have a dual port motor (1776) in a bug.

You need to be more specific with which system you are considering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

Stainless headers/exhaust...
Weld quality, strength, fit, service after the sale, etc.
Any good/bad thoughts?
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

I bought a SS A-1 header/bullet "muffler" back in 2014, only complaint I have is that the slip fit joints sometimes require a ratchet strap to get em loose (gotta push/pull em into alignment to remove them..)

I use exhaust grease on those joints, but didn't the first time, was a nightmare trying to get it out..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

I have a CSP EVO system with heater boxes to match the header.
The fit is perfect out of the box.
The slipjoints (there are 4 on this system) are well made and seal after a bit of driving. I removed my system a month ago to install a new trans and repair some oil leaks. After 3K of driving miles the slipjoints smoothly came apart without a fight.
The slipjoint clamps at the collector are strong and firmly clamp the pipes in place.
The header to engine exhaust flanges are thick and will not distort under the most aggressive tightening.
The welds (O.D.) are not polished from the factory. But I can overlook that based on the overall quality of the entire exhaust system. I didn't attempt to have a look at the interior profile of the welds. So I cannot comment on the quality inside the pipes.

The only issue that I had with the system was, there was a small dent in one of the mufflers. I didn't notice it until the protective plastic wrap was removed post installation. If the dent was visible on the side of the muffler. I would have returned it for a replacement. Luckily the dent was on the bottom and cannot be seen. Unless you lay on the ground looking up at it.

Good Luck.

EDIT: The CSP system comes with every nut, bolt gasket, and SS fresh air tubes between the rear breast plate and heater boxes.
67 Sunroof wrote:
Stainless headers/exhaust...
Weld quality, strength, fit, service after the sale, etc.
Any good/bad thoughts?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

That’s the csp right?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

A1, for the price I want stacked dimes not a pocket full of change.
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

I have the CSP, a very nice product!

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

jason wrote:
A1, for the price I want stacked dimes not a pocket full of change.

WORD!!! Great statement. If I’m paying that much I want the stacked dimes and no burn through.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

Not sure who makes headers for CB Performance but I'm plenty happy with mine for $399.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

I wish cb made a sidewinder style exhaust... I think the quality would be pretty decent.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

If you're wanting quality. You're gonna have to pay for it!
Sorry to say that. But it's the truth.

I have had many exhaust systems on my 67. And most of them were difficult to install. Came with incomplete hardware. And take a huge amount of massaging to get fit to the engine.
The CSP EVO system I currently run fits perfectly. And sounds great at full song!

Gene Berg said, "Buy once. Cry Once!" I have tried to beat that quote buying cheap parts and have been stung, at almost every turn in the road. While modifying my my car.
It has never worked out for me.

Good Luck.

67 Sunroof wrote:
I wish cb made a sidewinder style exhaust... I think the quality would be pretty decent.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

That’s badass. How much if you don’t mind me asking? $1000?
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

A1. Mine was done in 4 days. Went back with engine in car to to some alteration due to a big engine small car fit issue. No charge to redo some of it even tho it was my fault. Tiger is a good guy to work with.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1764346
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
That’s badass. How much if you don’t mind me asking? $1000?

Add $800, plus shipping. It was painful. But worth the one time price.

Drool away! Laughing
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/exhaust-system-modified/complete-exhaust-systems/beetle/

Not cheap. But worth every $ invested!

Good Luck.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

Ivkings, I have had opposite dealings with Tiger. It took at least 6 months on every header I’ve gotten from Tiger. And 3 of the 4 didnt fit either. Wanted it to clear thermostat and tins, it didnt.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

CSP is cheaper than A1, monetarily.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: CSP and A1 headers/exhausts quality Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Ivkings, I have had opposite dealings with Tiger. It took at least 6 months on every header I’ve gotten from Tiger. And 3 of the 4 didnt fit either. Wanted it to clear thermostat and tins, it didnt.

Maybe it helped that I was local, I brought him the engine to build the header the first time so he could clear the oil pump, second time I brought him the whole car So it would clear the apron, it was hitting bad. My oil pump sticks out 3 to 4 inches and that was my big issue.

He did tell me it usually takes a couple months for him to do a header, I’m not sure why he got it done so fast, he was definitely busy at the shop. Mine was 1400 with 400 being the 3” wrap around muffler exiting in front of the passenger rear tire.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1832895
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1832894
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: