Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
big swifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
I replaced my light with a led bulb but it is still fairly week.

It's not "the bulb". It's an led strip that goes INSIDE the top of the dash, illuminates when the glovebox is open via a contact switch and is pretty slick.
[1991 Jetta coupe TD. Giles Superpump. Custom tall 5 speed. SOLD
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I replaced my peeling Westfalia stickers this morning and thought I’d share my method for removing the old sticker residue. I used this rubber wheel made for removing this type of residue.

https://www.amazon.com/Decal-Removal-Eraser-Wheel-...&psc=1

Its basically a big rubber eraser and it works very well without damaging the paint on the poptop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The “eraser” removes the residue very quickly. I then wiped it with a little denatured alcohol to remove any remaining residue.

After applying the sticker i sprayed the top with “trim shine” to even out the shine on the top especially where the eraser had left a dull finish.

There may be better methods out there but this seems to work pretty well. The eraser does a great job at removing most residue but the fading of paint around the stickers still leaves enough of a ghost image for referencing where the new sticker should go.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

big swifty wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:
I replaced my light with a led bulb but it is still fairly week.

It's not "the bulb". It's an led strip that goes INSIDE the top of the dash, illuminates when the glovebox is open via a contact switch and is pretty slick.

Definitely going to look into this one. Thanks for clarifying. I have the vanagon leds footwell lights that are basically the same thing but for illuminating the foot wells and i love them. They really help to light up the space.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

So while up in Maine, my drivers side stainless braided brake hose chafed through and spewed out most of the brake fluid. It happened approximately 12 hours before planning on driving up and down the mount Washington auto road. I’m glad it happened in the driveway rather than on a 16% grade coming back down the auto road. I wanted to send a big thank you to Kevin at Gowesty who had two new hoses (something I had been planning on but slacking on putting in my road kit) in my hands in less than 18 hours. I was able to swap out the chafed hose and be up and running so again a big thank you to Gowesty for rushing the hoses out the door. Since I’m running the Gowesty big brakes, I had them send extra pads since they are not something that are easily sourced at many local auto supply stores. Brake pads are usually something that give you some warning when they’re on their way out, so maybe not that much of an emergency spare part. I have a few things on my list of spare parts that I need to add to my kit. I’d love to hear suggestions of things that people take with them as spare parts on road trips. I’ve read through various threads on the subject but still wondering about what people find to be the most important items in their kits, cv joints, spare axles, ignition switch etc

Last edited by Multiman mv on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I have never been a fan of stainless braided brake hoses on street vehicles for this very reason. On a racing vehicle that gets rebuilt and inspected weekly, it's a different matter since brake feel is critical on a racing vehicle. On a Vanagon - - well - - not so much.

I personally think that braided stainless hose on a Vanagon is best described as bling. The OEM manufacturers and their suppliers invested countless hours in designing synthetic rubber reinforced hoses that would not get them sued by dead or injured Vanagon drivers.

All stainless braided hose needs to be carefully separated from its neighbouring components. The braided stainless strands easily pierce neighbouring hoses and even the same hose if a bend is tight enough.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
I have never been a fan of stainless braided brake hoses on street vehicles for this very reason. On a racing vehicle that gets rebuilt and inspected weekly, it's a different matter since brake feel is critical on a racing vehicle. On a Vanagon - - well - - not so much.

I personally think that braided stainless hose on a Vanagon is best described as bling. The OEM manufacturers and their suppliers invested countless hours in designing synthetic rubber reinforced hoses that would not get them sued by dead or injured Vanagon drivers.

All stainless braided hose needs to be carefully separated from its neighbouring components. The braided stainless strands easily pierce neighbouring hoses and even the same hose if a bend is tight enough.

Yah I hear you. Unfortunately I don’t think I have another choice right now. I will be inspecting the lines more closely in the future. I think since clearances are rather tight in this area, it is something that can happen if the hoses aren’t routed carefully.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Good braided hoses have a silicone outer sheathing to prevent external chafing and grit from getting between the braids and inner sheath. As mentioned, braided hoses aren't remotely necessary for these rigs.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Good braided hoses have a silicone outer sheathing to prevent external chafing and grit from getting between the braids and inner sheath. As mentioned, braided hoses aren't remotely necessary for these rigs.

So the hoses that Gowesty sell have the silicone sheath on the outside of the stainless braiding. They appear to be high quality hoses. I think what happened with my previous hoses was that they were rubbing on the tires during extreme turning maneuvers and slowly chafed through. I should have picked up on it before it ever became an issue. I’ll be more vigilant in the future.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

you can use a spring and an viton O-ring to tether and hold them back to the frame.

crude application but the gist of it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Danfromsyr thanks for the photo and suggestion. I have been using zip ties in strategic locations but your solution looks to be a much better one. Once I get back to civilization I’ll go down this route.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

So a great trip to southern Maine’s lakes region. We spent 7 days on Long Lake, boating, fishing and just hanging with family. Besides the blown brake hose, the van performed great. After the brake hose incident we did decide to scrap the mount Washington plan, mainly due to lack of visibility but the brake hose did sap a little confidence. If anything, the incident reaffirmed my desire to upgrade my rear brakes. I’m still trying to sift through all the info on the subject. I’m deducing that rear discs are a great improvement over stock but the emergency brakes are much to be desired. It sounds like Burley’s kit has a stout e brake. I’m also concluding that a bigger brake booster is definitely worth installing to improve the braking power of the front bigger brakes. Im still trying to figure out exactly what I’m going to do but i know that when my van is fully loaded, It could use an increase in braking power.

Many days spent lakeside, in the shade because it was hot, even for Maine standards. Lots of smallmouth fishing and a little bit of beer drinking. My kids had a great time and were truly sad when it was all over. We are already looking forward to next year.

We would get a visit from the “Songo River Queen” everyday by our dock at about 2:30. Here is the Songo River Queen docked in Naples, Maine.

This guy made a visit to our beach everyday, a four foot banded water snake. I love snakes but this is one that i would never touch. They are known to repeatedly strike. At one point, my brother asked me if i had seen the snake (he was taking a rest in his hammock.) I said, “he’s probably right under your hammock.” “Holy crap, he is!!” I have a good picture of my brother sleeping feet away from a four foot snake.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:12 am; edited 4 times in total
kevinm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I've had the Burley rear disc brakes for a couple of years on my Syncro westy. I installed them at the same time as adding the Audi G60 front calipers in front, along with new flex lines all around. The stock brakes at the time of the upgrade were in good working order. But with upgrade, brake performance, stopping power and in particular brake modulation is a significantly improved over the stock brakes. The parking brake also works very well. I've had no issues getting it to hold tightly. I did not add the upgraded booster at the time of the upgrade but may do so in the future.

- Kevin
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

kevinm wrote:
I've had the Burley rear disc brakes for a couple of years on my Syncro westy. I installed them at the same time as adding the Audi G60 front calipers in front, along with new flex lines all around. The stock brakes at the time of the upgrade were in good working order. But with upgrade, brake performance, stopping power and in particular brake modulation is a significantly improved over the stock brakes. The parking brake also works very well. I've had no issues getting it to hold tightly. I did not add the upgraded booster at the time of the upgrade but may do so in the future.

- Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. I’m pretty sure this is the kit I’m going to go with. Burley just seems to do everything right and puts a lot of r&d into his products. Seems like the new generation of his rear discs have been out a while and i cant find a bad word about them. Thanks again.

Nick
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

So after putting some miles on the van and being time for an oil change I decided to change the trans oil at the same time. I’m probably being overly cautious but really wanted to get a look at the drain magnet and remove any metal shavings from the trans. The magnet looks like it has a minimal amount of metal on it to me.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

So my passenger side front window finally went out on me, again. I’ve pretty much had it with the power windows in my van. I think I’ve replaced all of the motors and all of the regulators at least once, possibly twice on each side. I’m wondering if there is a solution other than switching to manual hand cranks. I may someday go down this path but while the two sides are operational, I’ll stick with the power, for now. I know there is someone in the community that rebuilds the motors and regulators. I’m wondering if the rebuild adds longevity and if they’re being improved (say metal parts verses plastic parts on the regulators) or if the parts are being restored back to factory condition. Come on Gowesty, this would be a great place to put some r&d and come up with a motor and regulator that lasts. I know, no money in something like that. I’d rather they put some money into coming up with a complimentary front and rear braking system that can stop a 5000 pound van on a dime. I was recently told about a van where someone had adapted front brakes from a Tiguan that were supposedly awesome! Can’t seem to find any info on this. Has anyone gone down this route? If so I’d be interested in learning more about it.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Think I remember that it's Stacey/16cvs that rebuilds the units, could be wrong, but that's what percolated up in my mind.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Think I remember that it's Stacey/16cvs that rebuilds the units, could be wrong, but that's what percolated up in my mind.

Thank you for the info!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I share your frustration with the PWs, as I've had the same experiences with multiple failures over the years. However switching to manuals is a disappointing option. I've converted mine several times on a temporary basis while I was servicing the mechanisms. The gear ratio requires a maddening number of rotations in order to move the windows which annoys me to no end. I don't know of any aftermarket silver bullets, so Stacey's rebuilds are probably your best bet. Good luck.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I share your frustration with the PWs, as I've had the same experiences with multiple failures over the years. However switching to manuals is a disappointing option. I've converted mine several times on a temporary basis while I was servicing the mechanisms. The gear ratio requires a maddening number of rotations in order to move the windows which annoys me to no end. I don't know of any aftermarket silver bullets, so Stacey's rebuilds are probably your best bet. Good luck.

Thanks for the response. I just spoke with Stacey today. Very nice guy and his services seem more than reasonable. I’m going to ship a drivers side and passenger side set to him this week to be rebuilt. With a finite number of parts available, I’m just happy there is someone out there doing this kind of work for the community.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

So the other day, someone who shall remain nameless was driving the van loaded down with 4 adults and 4 kids and “she” bottomed out hard at the top of our driveway. The van bottomed out with a massive amount of force as these bars are 3/16ths possibly 1/4 stock. It seemed like things were ok until yesterday when I noticed the muffler hanging ever so slightly canted. When I went to drive it, it was apparent something wasn’t right. It was a subtle difference Butt it wasn’t shifting into first as smoothly as it normally did. I crawled under and found a cracked engine mount/bar. I also found a little bit of rubber from the serpentine belt on the alternator pulley. What happened was the engine dropped against the mustache bar when it bottomed out and chaffing of the belt occurred. It was a very small amount of chaffing but I am planning on replacing their belt just in case. Jon from FAS was nice enough to throw in a new belt free of charge along with the engine mount. The support offered by FAS post conversion has been beyond what i would have hoped for.

It was a wrestling match but I was able to extract the bar without having to remove a bunch of components. The only thing i had to remove was the extension tube for the dipstick. After extracting the bar, I was able to weld It back together and re-mount it. My weld may not be the prettiest but I believe it will hold. After pounding and clamping the crack back together, I cut a groove into the crack and was able to get a full thickness weld throughout the entire crack. A little primer and paint and it should be good for a little while. Of course this all happens right before a planned camping trip, which i may put on hold mainly due to not having the serpentine belt replaced.

Jon and chris from Fas were quick to get a new bar out to me, so I will replace this cobbled one with the new one after it arrives. I imagine the stresses on this mount are pretty extreme so I think I’ll bet my luck on a new mount verses the one with my repair weld.

I’m prettty bummed out about the whole situation but I guess these incidents help you to get better acquainted with your van. I don’t think there was any long term, permanent damage done to anything else on the van. Thank god it wasn’t a cracked oil pan or something worse! The irony of the situation was i had just had the driveway repaired by having some rap dumped but the delivery truck completely missed the massive ditch i was trying to repair. I was able to get another load delivered a lot closer to the ditch the next day. Ill certainly be more vigilant in maintaining my driveway in the future.

Repaired mount, mounted back in place.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:33 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 50

Jump to: