Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

Not everyone loves old VW's....

Got this email from my Brother who is one such person in Crescent City ......

"This weekend a caravan of vintage Volkswagons crawled through town.

Makes me glad I wasn't behind them (i.e. 100 air-cooled, under-powered vehicles on US 101. There isn't a passing lane within 60 miles that would be long enough to pass them all in one shot).
https://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/the-vw-bucket-list-highway-1-treffen/
"

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

wow, that looks like a great rip to do sometime

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

These look like a version of that.

https://drluvflorida.wixsite.com/the-great-vw-cc-race

I’d love to join one but it looks like the possible routes would go through some areas that I won't be able to go through.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

Many drivers join their local leg of the route and join an evening or morning group for brew, breakfast, or just to ogle.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Many drivers join their local leg of the route and join an evening or morning group for brew, breakfast, or just to ogle.

This particular one is a rally that gives the participants routes at the beginning of each leg, I don't think it would be possible to meet up unless you were part of the event. And I'm not going anywhere near DC.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I’d love to join one but it looks like the possible routes would go through some areas that I won't be able to go through.
You have warrants out? Shocked
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Nope.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/washington-dc-gun-laws/

https://blog.scrofanolaw.com/gun-possession/

A simple shell casing will get you in trouble.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexamine...f_amp=true

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

They always spent the 3rd night on the road, in Crescent City. We have a show and swap meet and major barbecue at the Fairgrounds here, I would venture to say we had close to 200 air cooled VWs here, which, for our little town, is quite significant...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

Smaller group, but get ready for a barrage of Type 3s there next year!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

I have a friend here in Boise who does the Treffen cruise every year- in full. He drives to Seattle and all the way to SD- then back to Boise. Last year he and his daughter took two buses (her bay and his SC). This year- they drove his '58 SC and his restored SO-42. They just shot through San Luis Obispo I believe. Very brave, very retired and just cool. I will do this one day.

I've driven a lot on the Oregon part of the 101 and there are plenty of passing ops- and the group pulls off regularly.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

...or one breaks down and the rest pull over to help!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Makes me glad I wasn't behind them (i.e. 100 air-cooled, under-powered vehicles on US 101. There isn't a passing lane within 60 miles that would be long enough to pass them all in one shot).

That right there is the most juvenile, disrespectful reaction ever!

The proper response would be to pull over, get out and with hat in hand, hand over heart and head bowed, allow those lovely old Ladies of the Road to pass by with dignity!
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Jacks wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Nope.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/washington-dc-gun-laws/

https://blog.scrofanolaw.com/gun-possession/

A simple shell casing will get you in trouble.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexamine...f_amp=true
Hard for you to have fun without your guns around? Rolling Eyes
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
djkeev wrote:

That right there is the most juvenile, disrespectful reaction ever!

To be clear, that was his brother saying that.
The way it was quoted it could be read wrong.

I wouldn't want to be stuck behind them either.

If I was eating lunch on the coast or whatever and saw them all drive by, that would be cool to see.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Hard for you to have fun without your guns around? Rolling Eyes

While they can be use for sport, which I occasionally do, I carry because I can legally & constitutionally do so. If the laws in DC or any state make it so that a simple shell casing can get me convicted of a crime, that would essentially revoke my right to carry, I'll just stay out of that place or any event that might go through there.

Besides, have you ever driven in DC? What a shithole. Traffic turns to shit as soon as you reach Fredericksburg, then it's 20-40mph all the way up (If you're lucky.) & most of the off-road trails I drive on are in better condition than the streets in DC.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
...or one breaks down and the rest pull over to help!

Ironically, that's exactly what happened to my friend on the drive up. Seized engine in Concord, CA. I guess if you have to have this happen- being near Skinner's ain't so bad Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

I think TDCTDI is just thinking of his fellow bretheren. After all, it is a good guy with a gun that stops all shooters. Unless, of course, you're saying he's not a good guy.....Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
I think TDCTDI is just thinking of his fellow bretheren. After all, it is a good guy with a gun that stops all shooters. Unless, of course, you're saying he's not a good guy.....Wink

Screw that, that whole sheepdog thing is BS. My family & my well-being is my concern, those that chose to not carry can fend for themselves or wait for the professionals to show up.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

*shrugs,
while i'm 100% on your rights issued by our constitution
paranoia is a personal burden to bear.
I wish you the best in your own state (of mind).
remember the Alamo Y'all.

and we really didn't care why you couldn't attend, but like Vegans, 2nd amendments (or are you a sovereign citizen too) like to let everyone else know. Rolling Eyes
TDCTDI wrote:
Splitdog wrote:

Screw that, that whole sheepdog thing is BS. My family & my well-being is my concern, those that chose to not carry can fend for themselves or wait for the professionals to show up.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage VW tour on 1 Treffen Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
*shrugs,
while i'm 100% on your rights issued by our constitution
paranoia is a personal burden to bear.
I wish you the best in your own state (of mind).
remember the Alamo Y'all.

and we really didn't care why you couldn't attend, but like Vegans, 2nd amendments (or are you a sovereign citizen too) like to let everyone else know. Rolling Eyes

Don't confuse being self prepared with paranoia.
There are plenty of people that wish they could have or wish that that did & lots of these high profile events might have been very different if someone did, all of those events ended when someone with a firearm showed up.

I originally stated that I would not be going due to the suggested courses & did not say why until someone asked.

Don't forget the rainbow banner waving minority that now has to be the main focus in EVERYTHING from movies, to TV shows, to commercials, to cartoons....

It seems that the those south of the border did remember the Alamo & they want it back.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: