Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Tarboard for the tunnel??
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: New Tarboard for the tunnel?? Reply with quote

Kind of sorry now that I removed the tarboard insulation from the center tunnel on my '66 project ...it was torn up and gnarly looking, so I figured it had to go. Now I'm looking for a 'similar' tarboard material to replace the old stuff. Trying to stay away from the foil-backed products if I can. Can't seem to find a 'tarboard tunnel kit' like those made for the floors and rear firewall. Any suggestions??
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Tarboard for the tunnel?? Reply with quote

These days I don't know what roofing underlayment materials are out there, in the past you could get 30 thick tarpaper (asphalt-embedded-felt) that was "peel and stick" and could be used for things like this, (and to replace the sound deadening sheets inside the doors)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: New Tarboard for the tunnel?? Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Can't seem to find a 'tarboard tunnel kit' like those made for the floors and rear firewall. Any suggestions??

I'm pretty sure no one has commercially "reproduced" that tarboard design/layout (for the tunnel), so you will most likely have to do it using similar looking pieces, kind of what glutamodo is suggesting.

-Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Tarboard for the tunnel?? Reply with quote

Could you use a WW tarboard engine bay kit and trim to fit?
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Tarboard for the tunnel?? Reply with quote

Yeah ....I thought of that, too. I'll measure up the old engine bay tarboards and see if there's enough material there to patch together enough to cover the tunnel. Cip1 is my preferred supplier here in Canada (free shipping on orders over $100) ....and they're selling "German-made, best quality" engine bay tarboards for $78 CDN right now. I'll report back on my measuring exercise.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: