Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Later fuel tank on early van, correct? +gunwash to clean pump?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Later fuel tank on early van, correct? +gunwash to clean pump? Reply with quote

Hi All - hoping to order a new fuel tank today and according to year (1984) I should have the early larger 68mm inlet, and that is what all the parts places list - however on taking it apart it all looks to me like the smaller, later fill tube/tank.

My fill tube itself is 40mm at the base, and plastic. Part # 251 201 129.

By the look of the fill tube grommet the opening is NOT big enough to have a larger-hole-to-smaller-fill-pipe replacement.

Therefore it must be an '85 and up 48mm hole tank? God knows the PO never did a lick of maintenance or upgrades, so this has to be the factory tank.

Many thanks if anyone can confirm this absolutely - shipping the wrong fuel tank would be very, very depressing. I almost ordered this morning before digging in there, might have been tragic. SEEMS obvious BUT I have been seriously bitten by the Vanagon 'seems obvious' bug in the past, thus I ask! Smile

*EDIT* - no stock on later tanks, so I'm stuck ordering an earlier one and a GoWesty grommet to adapt. Are early tanks and later tanks identical in ALL regards except for the filler tube?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think this is the definitive proof - couldn't get a tape in so I cut a guide. Were there instances of '84's having the later tank? I AM measuring the correct opening, right?

Last edited by leecat on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a later fuel tank on an early van, correct? (pics) Reply with quote

leecat wrote:

*EDIT* - no stock on later tanks, so I'm stuck ordering an earlier one and a GoWesty grommet to adapt. Are early tanks and later tanks identical in ALL regards except for the filler tube?

Don't go backwards! The later tank design is superior on a number of fronts:
    The plastic filler is better than the big steel filler of the older design. Less leak-prone.

The later design had a 12mm output spigot compared to the restrictive earlier 7mm spigot. Improves fuel delivery. You can connect the 12mm outlet directly to the fuel pump inlet without having to worry about that stupid square adapter filter. Then you can install the much superior big filter after the fuel pump like all the modern cars have.

The later design has an internal screen on the outlet pipe, which avoids your fuel supply being cut off by the tiniest scrap of junk plugging the pipe inside the tank (yes, I threw away a practically new early-style tank because a shred of paper had wedged itself in the 7mm pipe and wasn't coming out. Mad )

Shop around for the later style tank. GoWesty isn't the only game in town. I ordered mine from VanCafe (before the merger with RMW) when I replaced my tank (for the second time).
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett

Last edited by SlowLane on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a later fuel tank on an early van, correct? (pics) Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, Slowlane! Shopping around now!

Emptying my old tank into Jerry cans (does anyone still call them that?) resulted in so much caked black varnish in the bottom of each can that I had to use gunwash to remove it - no wonder my injectors are clogging regularly like nobody's business!

Hurts me to use premium fuel to burn weeds, but once it's been run through my current fuel tank (aka 'The Tar Pit') I wouldn't dare put it in anything with a motor.

Has anyone run gunwash/thinner through a fuel pump (not connected to the fuel rail or tank, of course, to clean varnish out? My fuel pump won't be pretty inside, I'm sure. But also don't want to destroy a relatively new pump. EDIT - Mr. Internet says Don't Do It! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Later fuel tank on early van, correct? +gunwash to clean pump? Reply with quote

The larger outlet tank is a nice upgrade. There’s another subtle difference in years you need to pay attention to. There are 2 different fuel level senders. Wiring is the same, but physically different. Not sure of the change year.

Edit: before you start the engine for the first time. Rather than connect the return line on the tank, cap that fitting and place the hose in one of your spare cans. Start the engine and fresh fuel will wash through the system and get most of the dirty fuel out.

If you are more anal, you can temporarily install an inline generic fuel filter between that hose and tank fitting and run it for a 1000 miles. That should catch any last particles in the fuel rails etc.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Later fuel tank on early van, correct? +gunwash to clean pump? Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip on flushing via the return line, Mark - great idea and would hate to push garbage into the brand new tank, which is exactly what would happen, never would have thought of that!

And my tank is bad to the point of undriveable - keep having to clean injectors and flush the fuel rail out with paint thinner to clear the tar every 50 miles.

My sender still works - sticky and slow, but it works. I'll give her a scrubbing while she's out - hoping the sender isn't tank-specific; it's been my experience that if there's a 50% chance something will fit my van, there's a 100% chance it won't.
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Later fuel tank on early van, correct? +gunwash to clean pump? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
There’s another subtle difference in years you need to pay attention to. There are 2 different fuel level senders. Wiring is the same, but physically different. Not sure of the change year.

Hmm. Wasn't aware of that.

FWIW, I installed my original fuel sender into the new tank.

Well, mis-installed really. The sender mated fine to the tank, but I didn't press down hard enough on the esender when I turned it to lock, and the edges of the tabs in the tank cut into the soft plastic of the sender instead of riding up the ramps. So I had a nasty surprise the first time I filled that tank to the top.

Lesson learned: de-burr the tabs in the tank sender hole and bend the tab leading edges up a bit so they ride up the sender's ramps instead of digging into them. And press down on the sender body while twisting it to lock, so as to compress the new o-ring seal, which was correctly coated with powdered graphite lube.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
colbysmith28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Later fuel tank on early van, correct? +gunwash to clean pump? Reply with quote

thank you for posting this. I had asked the same question on a FB group the other day but after 6 hours of no activity i just deleted it, so what i understand now is that the wiring going to the sender is the same regardless of year.... i planned on ordering everything new and was trying to figure out if the wiring would cause issues
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Later fuel tank on early van, correct? +gunwash to clean pump? Reply with quote

I'd like to make one clarification about the differences in the tanks over the years. There are three variations, not two. The earliest have the larger fill hole and a 7 mm outlet. The next generation has the smaller fill hole that mates with the plastic filler but still has a 7mm outlet. It was only in the last few years of production that they changed to the 12 mm outlet hole, still with the smaller filler neck hole.

Ed
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Later fuel tank on early van, correct? +gunwash to clean pump? Reply with quote

Thank you for this update, Ed - not an hour ago I was baffled why I had a seemingly 'new' style small-inlet tank, yet a 7mm fuel outlet. Scraping the bottom of my tank through the sending unit hole comes up with a half-inch of black tar covering the entire bottom. Horrible. Was wondering why I only ever read 1/3 tank max too, no matter how much fuel was in it - it's because my sending unit was so fouled with fuel excrement that it was limited to 1/3 travel.

Is there a clip or anything that's supposed to be on the end of the float arm, or is the float held on simply by the shape of the tank?

And anyone want to buy a really cheap fuel tank? Anyone? Anyone?? Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: