Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unlevel front end. Reasons??
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Unlevel front end. Reasons?? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is front of my buggy. I have about 1.25'' difference in height from one side to the other. Passenger side sags. The back is perfectly flat.
Is there some sort of adjustment to straighten this (I'm certainly not familiar with one) or could the springs be bent or ???
I measured points between king pin compared to the h-beam on both sides and it seems to be between them so I'm guessing it has something to do with the springs. The arms do not appear to be tweaked at all.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Unlevel front end. Reasons?? Reply with quote

Gas or oil shocks?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Unlevel front end. Reasons?? Reply with quote

Front beams or frame head is bent.... There is no individual adjustment on standard beam.... Also possible broken spring "leaf"... Or possible to much down pressure on rear torsion bar will force direct opposite (diagonal) corner down.... But if rear sits level I would not suspect rear torsion preload....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Unlevel front end. Reasons?? Reply with quote

I had this issue. Couldn't find a clear cut cause after dissecting and looking and measuring. I temporarily fixed it by putting stiffer shocks on the front. doesn't affect the ride too much.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Unlevel front end. Reasons?? Reply with quote

Get the rear up in the air and level on 2 jack stands under the rear torsion housing. Raise the front with a floor jack from the center. This should tell you if the frame/tunnel is twisted.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Unlevel front end. Reasons?? Reply with quote

Since the rear torsions are much heavier, and there is more weight on the rear, a one side sagging rear can cause the front to tilt. Often leveling the rear will level the front. I have done it several times on buses, beetles, Ghias, and buggies.

Also, a, or a few broken front torsion leaves in the beam on one side can cause it to tilt.

I suggest taking a 4 foot level, locating a concrete slab that is level, park the buggy, not in gear, no parking brake set, push forward empty, push backward to settle the suspension, than have a good look see at both the front and rear.

What I see in the photo is a beam that is not level with the ground. If the chassis is not twisted, the rear torsion tube will have the same slant. Use a floor jack on the down rear side to jack on the edge of the torsion tube to bring it up to level, then re-evaluate the front.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Unlevel front end. Reasons?? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Get the rear up in the air and level on 2 jack stands under the rear torsion housing. Raise the front with a floor jack from the center. This should tell you if the frame/tunnel is twisted.

Ditto...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: