Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955cc Single Port
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

1955cc
90.5x76
Ported Single Port heads
-SS Valves
-HD Single Springs
-Chromoly Retainers
-1.25 Rockers
-55cc
-10.0:1 Compression
-Micropolished Crank
-Dynamically Balanced rotating assembly

Dellorto FRDs
-29mm venturi

What kind of power/torque numbers?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

More info needed.
Cam?
Exhaust?

Based on the lack info,
Sp heads, 1.25:1 rockers, stock cam, and exhaust, 10.0:1 CR.
65.5 HP@ 3500 RPM
Torque 126.5 @ 2500 RPM

Why bother building this?
It's limp! Unless you're looking to pull stumps.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

10-1 compression? Either you're running a cam with some serious overlap or race fuel.

If it's a big cam, it probably won't breathe enough unless you're force feeding it.

I can see the intake got worked, along with the exhaust. The exhaust looks hogged out though. If I was going down this path I'd left the exhaust pretty much alone except for around the bend and and guide.

Give some more details about induction, cam, exhaust, and purpose. It might help us see where you're going
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

Geez! What did you do to the exhaust ports? You think your fluffing of the intakes warranted such a drastic increase of the exhaust port X-section?

Without removing the guides and porting, I'ma guess maybe a 5-10 HP bump at 800-1000 rpm lower than stock.
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

Won't the single port strangle the increased engine displacement?
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

I like a nicely built single port.

Post some pics of the valve bowls. The bowls and the valve job are where most of the gain in a SP head happens.

The intake/exhaust flow ratio is pretty close to perfect with a blended intake bowl, a good valve job, and NOTHING done to the exhaust bowl or port. A very small amount of work in the exhaust bowl will make the flow numbers jump way up, and that is not what you want for a stump puller SP. Gotta keep things balanced.

You also need to be really careful with your cam selection in a SP.

Brian
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

Kind of an odd little motor but it would run ok not too high of rpm so power will be limited. The thing that I see wrong are the huge exhaust ports! Also the thing you will find that although the 29mm venturi's will open up the top end power the increased size venturi's may affect Idle and low end torque and general driveability. I don't think you will be able to jet that combo to have good over all air fuel ratio but that is just a hunch.
As for cam choice, probably the W-100 camshaft or the Eagle 2239 camshaft.
Probably just run 1.1 rockers unless you went with a Webcam 118 grind then the 1.25 ratio rockers would give about .460" valve lift and increase in total rpm without hurting low end torque.
Probably need to drop the compression down to 8.3 so it would run pump gas.

FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

This is an unusual build I know.

W100 w/ 1.25 rockers currently
Will run 93 octane w/ additive. Hoping for a 96+ blend.
This motor is only intended for low rpm, 30-50mph, winding road action.

Doubt it will ever see an 1/8th or even a 1/4 mile drag strip. Probably won’t ever see over 80mph.

The builder did get a little carried away with the exhaust ports, probably because I told him I’d most likely be using a 38mm exhaust. Looking at the Dansk Sport Sebring Style Exhaust Setup.

The 29 venturis haven’t been added yet. Won’t get into that till closer to final longblock assembly. Will be searching for Dellorto experts to get their recommendations.

My goal is close to 100hp, and torque numbers stated above are what I estimated. Trust me if I wanted all out power I would have used dual port heads.

My 1970 Ghia came with a stock 1600 SP that I currently still have. I always said if it had an extra 30-40hp and extra 50tq, It would be perfect for my style of driving.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

You'll see a good improvement in power over stock. My 2007cc single port single carb was a stump puller forsure, shame I smashed it on a few too many rocks. You'll find that it'll be a little tricky with tuning, but once you get it in there it can be smooth as stock.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
You'll see a good improvement in power over stock. My 2007cc single port single carb was a stump puller forsure, shame I smashed it on a few too many rocks. You'll find that it'll be a little tricky with tuning, but once you get it in there it can be smooth as stock.

I expect a slightly high idle, probably around 950. Hoping with some good recommendations on pre-jetting the carbs, use of a wide-band and dyno, we can tune the motor to very street-able manner.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

950 is on the "low" side. I'd aim at 1000 flat and jet/tune accordingly, definitely utilize a wideband and post up here.

Your compression should make for an interesting mix, what's the max octane you can get over there? I was just out in Winterhaven, and filled up the rental car in Williamsburg, but paid no mind.

But yea, definitely watch the wideband and listen for pinging.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

Sgl. port idle quality is influenced on several things apart from cam duration/overlap. Intake port length and exhaust options are equally "interesting" One thing is for certain. That giant exhaust port is not good for anything but the bragging rights, ESPECIALLY not when you are after lower rpm punch. Also it will affect the idle quality quite a bit. The easy way to improve it a little will be to make the classical split lift 1,25/1,1 rockers which will help a good deal. The next thing would be to install 37,5 or 39 mm intake valves. But that´s most likely out of the question here.

The FRD´s definitely need 29 mm venturies. But the manifolds are too short. They need an extension between carb and manifold to improve plenum volume. 20 - 25 mm is good. This will aid in both idle stability improvement and mid to upper rpm power.

When you are after lower to mid rpm power you should really look into getting a shorty header type of muffler like this: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-Equal-Length-38mm-155-203-035SF-p/155-203-035sf.htm
Or this http://www.ttexhausts.com/vw-beetle-exhaust/

Ignition. The typical 009 will work if recurved some. But with todays options it may be time to look for other solutions, because an engine like that will need a somewhat funky ignition curve to work well.

Power. Sgl port engines rev relatively high with a little more cam duration. Also with the large exh ports I expect the engine to peak up around 5000 to 5200ish rpm. I let the computer chew on the combo with some head data from a 1955 sgl port engine that I built some years back with exactly the above recommended VS muffler. It shows 107 hp @ 5250 and peak torque of 130 lbs @ 3500. How close yours are is impossible to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice as always Alstrup.

I'll speak to builder to see if they can swap out the rockers to 1.1, this is for the exhaust side or intake side?

I will see about having some manifold extensions built. Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate something that small.

I know you recommended the style of exhausts, what are your thoughts on something like this? 38mm as well. Full Stainless.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C23%2D251%2D92760

As for the question about OCTANE. We do have 93 pump, but at certain locations you can purchase 100 octane. Or you can buy 5 gallon jugs of race fuel pretty easy. So I feel with the 6 gallons of 93 and 6 gallons of 100/race fuel, should give me plenty of octane to not cause detonation.

As for the FRDs with 29 venturi, any thoughts on jet sizes all around? Something to get me to a good starting point.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

FRNKNSTNGHIA wrote:

I know you recommended the style of exhausts, what are your thoughts on something like this? 38mm as well. Full Stainless.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C23%2D251%2D92760
Frankly, I have never had one in my hands nor on the dyno. Personally I always thought they were a little daft since its not a 4-2-1 and its not a proper 4 into 1. - On a speedster where you want the Carrera GT look, fair enough.
As for the question about OCTANE. We do have 93 pump, but at certain locations you can purchase 100 octane. Or you can buy 5 gallon jugs of race fuel pretty easy. So I feel with the 6 gallons of 93 and 6 gallons of 100/race fuel, should give me plenty of octane to not cause detonation.

As for the FRDs with 29 venturi, any thoughts on jet sizes all around? Something to get me to a good starting point.
Again, I have very little experience with these carbs. With a 29 mm venturies I would imagine something like 145 main 180 air as a starting point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Machecoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

FRNKNSTNGHIA wrote:

I'll speak to builder to see if they can swap out the rockers to 1.1, this is for the exhaust side or intake side?

Exhaust side.
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

As for ignition you recommended a 009. Do you not recommend a SVDA distributor for the dual carb setup?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

SVDA can be made to work. But as I wrote above, today there are good affordable programmable systems that are better.
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
More info needed.
Cam?
Exhaust?

Based on the lack info,
65.5 HP@ 3500 RPM
Torque 126.5 @ 2500 RPM

Good Luck.

More than that. My 1584cc single port with kadrons got 61 whp...
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

Thoughts on this? Or is this overkill?

https://shop.kaddieshack.com/Pertronix-DIGITAL-HP-...uctId=1163
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

Not really. The engine (as planned) is choked by the design/plan.
It cannot breath.
It'll have a lot of torque. But no real usable horsepower.
TheViking wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
More info needed.
Cam?
Exhaust?

Based on the lack info,
65.5 HP@ 3500 RPM
Torque 126.5 @ 2500 RPM

Good Luck.

More than that. My 1584cc single port with kadrons got 61 whp...

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: