Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat and Air Regulator Ring
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Thermostat and Air Regulator Ring Reply with quote

Hoping for some tips and advice...

My 1600dp has run a whole lot better and lasted 12 years now in part due to the inclusion of the thermostat and shutters into the fan housing.

But I've only got one 1600 running the other three running engines are 36 horse engines. I have tried installing the air control ring in each one and the resulting cacaphony would wake the dead. Any suggestions on how this is to be done succesfully? I know about the little rubber stiopper frequently missing and I do have two control rings with these installed. I've also tried bending the ring slightly this way then that to adjust but it seems to need more help than that.

Thermostats-. For a 36 horse HAH! try even finding an original for the 40 horse and later! The later ones though hard to find are still around for awhile. I believe they expanded more quickly than the earlier thermostats. Has anyone installed a later model thermostat in a 36 horse any ill effects?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat and Air Regulator Ring Reply with quote

Hi [email protected],
The 25-36 HP and the early stale air 40 HP air control are differant. The stale air 40 HP ones have a longer axis shaft holding the control ring farther to the right of engine centerline seam then the 25-36 HP linkage. If you have the correct linkage for your engine then adjusting is the next problem. The ring has a system that clamps it to the linkage and to adjust it properly one must loosen the clamping and adjust. no bending required! Get a copy of the VW Workshop manual for your year and type of VW for proper adjustments!
The thermostat used up to the beginning of fresh air 40 HP in DEC62 is slightly differant heat opening than the 40 HP and later fresh air thermostat. If it was us and the choice of later thermostat or none, we would go with the later thermostat.
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues412002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat and Air Regulator Ring Reply with quote

I ignorantly, stupidly removed the entire air control linkage from my fan housing (36 hp). I cannot seem to figure out how to put it back- the long rod which the ring itself and the spring connect to. How does it attach to the fan housing?
2017 Tiguan (Sport II)
http://ralphspoilsportmotors.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat and Air Regulator Ring Reply with quote

blues412002 wrote:
I ignorantly, stupidly removed the entire air control linkage from my fan housing (36 hp). I cannot seem to figure out how to put it back- the long rod which the ring itself and the spring connect to. How does it attach to the fan housing?

It attaches to your case. You'll need to remove the bolt holding the case halves and use the threaded end of the rod in it's place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat and Air Regulator Ring Reply with quote

This recent thread has a lot of discussion and pics
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=710613
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat and Air Regulator Ring Reply with quote

Wow all the way back to 2004 and an early post by me. I eventually figured it out and run the thermostat in all my cars.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: