Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BUGATTI Type 35 Replica Engine Access
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: BUGATTI Type 35 Replica Engine Access Reply with quote

Guys,

While browsing GOOGLE Images, I have run across a couple of pictures of Type 35 kit replicas with hinged rear boat tails to allow easier access to the engines.

I have been unable to decern any real details from the pictures and would really appreciate any insight/details/references/information/etc. that anyone could offer.

Thanx,

Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivan the tolerable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: BUGATTI Type 35 Replica Engine Access Reply with quote

I have a pair of those kits. I can take a pic if you like but they really just do pivot up on two bolts.
The seam line between the rear tail cone and the long nose section is at about the middle of the passenger compartment, in the lowest spot of the cutaway to climb in. In photos its often hidden behind the front of the rear wheel or its fender if one is fitted.
There were originally only one bolt on each side that allowed the whole tail to pivot upwards just by lifting. No catch, just gravity, and all the weight of the rear cantilevered out like that on two forward points.

Needless to say, this causes no end of scuttle shake and bounce, and eventually damage. The Bugatti kit I am working on currently needs some cracking in the rear cone section repaired due to this.
The one I have had for some time uses 1/4 turn Tzus fittings in the original location as well as two more on each side securing the tail to 1" steel tube sections that extend back low on either side of the engine. You remove the 1/4 turn fittings, and just lift the tail completely off. Way easier that way.
The current project car will probably be refit the same way.

Hope that helped.
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: BUGATTI Type 35 Replica Engine Access Reply with quote

IVAN,

Appreciate the response/information!

My main issue with total removal is the location of the attachment points of the rear fenders.

I am going to try "engineering/designing" some sort of hinged design with a hinge (hinges?) across the top immediately behind the seat.

The goal is an arrangement that will allow the rear section to be opened/raised up similar to opening the hood/trunk lid of a car and then latched when in the down/closed position. The difficult issue will be supporting structure around the engine (weight, interference, access, etc.). Will also need to "modify" the tail cone re clearance and parting seam location.

Since I am a retired "electronical" engineer not a "machinical", I will be sorta winging it. Rolling Eyes

I will gladly share any brilliant ideas or flashes-of-insight that I may have along the way. Laughing

Would appreciate seeing some pictures of your ride either posted here or via PM. I am in the throes of finishing(?) the rebuild/resto-mod of the type 35 replica that I purchased a few months ago. Hope to have some pictures worthy of sharing within a few weeks. Need to take a couple of weeks break to get out of this Texas heat and do some Alaska flyfishing. Cool

Thanx again!!!!

Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivan the tolerable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: BUGATTI Type 35 Replica Engine Access Reply with quote

I will see about getting you some pics, at least of the frame. Tail cone is off for repairs, so it might be a minute before I get it back.

I see what you want to do with the hinges. That could really work.
If your seat frame is strong enough (or you fabricate a new one), and you added a metal reinforcement strip under the leading edge of the tail cone, the hinges could be placed right there in between. Right on the back of the seat frame. You would never see the hinges. You could almost shop around a junk yard and find a "close enough" set of trunk lid or engine bay hinges from a random car to modify at that point. I like it.

The way it was done previously with the pivot being more low and forward of the seat back means when the tail lifts up, the top leading edge of the tail behind the seat slides forward over the cabin, which I never liked. However, I think it was done that way at least partially as it meant the lower most edges of the tail that clear the engine and exhaust generally start their movement more or less directly straight upwards.
Minor point of caution; If you do arrange it so that the axis of rotation moves right behind the seat (therefore higher and further back), the resultant arc also changes. The bottom edges of the tail forward of the hinge point that clear the engine will no longer lift directly upwards. They will then necessarily need to translate somewhat rearwards as they lift.
IOW, you would be changing the tails swing from generally "up then forward" to "rearward then up".
This really is a trivial point, but the way my tail cone was originally trimmed would not allow that rearward motion. I would have to shave very small amounts of material to allow the swing instead of the straight lift. The previous exhaust I had would not have allowed for that at all.

I see this as a fairly easy mod for a pretty worthwhile improvement. Don't let me worry you about the clearance issue, just be aware of it before you start welding, so you don't get surprised after you have chosen your arc!

Heck, as the original mounting points are still there and strong enough, if the fiberglass was reinforced at that point they could serve as great places to mount your latches to secure the decklid.
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: BUGATTI Type 35 Replica Engine Access Reply with quote

IVAN,

Sounds like you and I are thinking along the same lines!

Hopefully, we will pique the interest of some of the other brilliant minds on the forum! Rolling Eyes

Am always open to good ideas.

Tom
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: BUGATTI Type 35 Replica Engine Access Reply with quote

Old thread focused on buggy hoods, but the principle is essentially the same.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=356196&highlight=opening+hood

Definitely food for thought! Cool

Tom
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: