Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear pillar roof vent - low air flow
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EastOrWestfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Rear pillar roof vent - low air flow Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I have had this issue since I bought my Westy. Rear air pillar vent flow is very low. Air coming out of the door is immensely strong. My pillar gasket is in great shape and seals well. I did some diagnostic work and nothing is jammed in the pillar itself. BUT, when I feel around the edges of the headliner, I feel air... And like from all sides. How is this possible? Thoughts?

I guess I am going to pull the headliner and find out... Not looking forward to this at all. Has anyone had this issue before?[/list]
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pillar roof vent - low air flow Reply with quote

Do you mean the roof/headliner vents?
I could see mice getting into the ductwork and building nests that block air flow.
Any pictures
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pillar roof vent - low air flow Reply with quote

*** (crickets) ***
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pillar roof vent - low air flow Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
*** (crickets) ***

I guess they dove into the headliner..... Razz
EastOrWestfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pillar roof vent - low air flow Reply with quote

Well I went into the headliner and OMG, I found a pack of about 10 or 12 dead baby mice and the mother had chewed through my dome light wiring to make an easy entry and exit. They were fossilized and my guess is they have been there for ages. The smell when I removed the headliner was impossible to describe. Also about 5 lbs of pebbles, poop and assorted nuts and what have you there. Not going to lie, I upchucked during the mouse exorcism. 😂😂😂. Not ashamed to admit it.

So I cleaned up the headliner which thank goodness was laminated by VW on the other side, so all stains came off, as well as poop. I disinfected with medical grade wipes and cleaned all roof areas. I emptied my vacuum four times with all the junk that came out.

I replaced the insulation with a nice sound proofing fibreglass insulation with a high heat resistance and wow, good as new.

I tell you, I don't pick up hitchhiker's, and I won't tolerate stowaways. Even long dead ones... 😂😂😂. I was about to post some pics, but I didn't know how people would feel if I did. So I will leave it to all of you to decide... Upload... Or don't? Hahahaha!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pillar roof vent - low air flow Reply with quote

Glad you found your blockage!

But, I HATES mices.......

After I vacuum up a mouse collection I not only disinfect the area cleaned but also my vacuum!

The hose is full of mouse disease as is the filter and vacuum container.

I cannot stand the thought of the vacuum exhaust blowing out mouse crap into the air!

I propped up both ends of the hose and filled it with a bleach solution and let it set for hours before draining it and flushing the hose.

I came just shy of throwing it all away and buying a new one!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear pillar roof vent - low air flow Reply with quote

EastOrWestfalia wrote:
Well I went into the headliner and OMG, I found a pack of about 10 or 12 dead baby mice and the mother had chewed through my dome light wiring to make an easy entry and exit. They were fossilized and my guess is they have been there for ages. The smell when I removed the headliner was impossible to describe. Also about 5 lbs of pebbles, poop and assorted nuts and what have you there. Not going to lie, I upchucked during the mouse exorcism. 😂😂😂. Not ashamed to admit it.

So I cleaned up the headliner which thank goodness was laminated by VW on the other side, so all stains came off, as well as poop. I disinfected with medical grade wipes and cleaned all roof areas. I emptied my vacuum four times with all the junk that came out.

I replaced the insulation with a nice sound proofing fibreglass insulation with a high heat resistance and wow, good as new.

I tell you, I don't pick up hitchhiker's, and I won't tolerate stowaways. Even long dead ones... 😂😂😂. I was about to post some pics, but I didn't know how people would feel if I did. So I will leave it to all of you to decide... Upload... Or don't? Hahahaha!

Wow, while I innocently suggested blockage from mice, I had no idea what you’d run into. That sounded horrible.... Shocked Shocked
I had insects as former residents in my Vanagon, Mud Wasps that built nest after nest in the frame rail sections, it was like a small city down in there...
They were all defunct( foreclosures was my guess,, Wink )
And took some water blasting and Compressed Air blasting to fully remove them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: