Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955cc Single Port
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Not really. The engine (as planned) is choked by the design/plan.
It cannot breath.
It'll have a lot of torque. But no real usable horsepower.
TheViking wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
More info needed.
Cam?
Exhaust?

Based on the lack info,
Sp heads, 1.25:1 rockers, stock cam, and exhaust, 10.0:1 CR.
65.5 HP@ 3500 RPM
Torque 126.5 @ 2500 RPM

Why bother building this?
It's limp! Unless you're looking to pull stumps.

Good Luck.

More than that. My 1584cc single port with kadrons got 61 whp...

Then how does my 1584cc make more crank hp than you said this would?? Take a look at this......

Link
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

I am not referring to your engine Viking. The ops choice of build is choked by the small intake valves. It can only flow so much fuel/air before it starves for air.
Your combo works well for the displacement.

Good Luck.
TheViking wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Not really. The engine (as planned) is choked by the design/plan.
It cannot breath.
It'll have a lot of torque. But no real usable horsepower.
TheViking wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
More info needed.
Cam?
Exhaust?

Based on the lack info,
65.5 HP@ 3500 RPM
Torque 126.5 @ 2500 RPM

Good Luck.

More than that. My 1584cc single port with kadrons got 61 whp...

Then how does my 1584cc make more crank hp than you said this would?? Take a look at this......

Link

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

[quote=

Based on the lack info,
65.5 HP@ 3500 RPM
Torque 126.5 @ 2500 RPM

Good Luck.[/quote]

What’s it say when you throw a W100 in the mix? Also dual 34 either ICT or Dellorto. Figure about same flow. I predict around 90hp and 130tq.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

SP heads should be able to get up to 90, maybe 100 hp, without any CRAZY mods. Larger intake manifold, engle 100 ish cam, raise compression.

BTW, SPLIT the compression...... you can go higher on cylinders 2 and 4
yeah kinds strange idea, but try it. you'll see
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Geez! What did you do to the exhaust ports? You think your fluffing of the intakes warranted such a drastic increase of the exhaust port X-section?

yeah....but those are dual port heads in the picture. he fooled ya Razz
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

modok wrote:

How do you that? Different chamber cc’s?
Can this one off strategy work with multiple engine configs?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

Yes. But IRL it does not make any significant difference unless you are chasing really high hp. Also it creates another issue, that is unbalance due to 2 cylinders pull more than the other 2, and at a different rpm range. Not recommendable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

84.5 HP @ 4500 RPM
130.2 FT/LB torque @3000 RPM
Using 1 3/8" exhaust.
But at 10:1 compression. You'll need race gas.

Good Luck.
FRNKNSTNGHIA wrote:

What’s it say when you throw a W100 in the mix? Also dual 34 either ICT or Dellorto. Figure about same flow. I predict around 90hp and 130tq.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Yes. But IRL it does not make any significant difference unless you are chasing really high hp. Also it creates another issue, that is unbalance due to 2 cylinders pull more than the other 2, and at a different rpm range. Not recommendable.

Wink

Your an ignition nut, right? put use a wasted spark system, dual drivers, Find the ideal advance for each cylinder. You will see.

That's too much work? YES I agree. So, instead, I try to make the engine so each cylinder NEEDS the same advance, and make even more power! HAHAHA
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
modok wrote:

How do you that? Different chamber cc’s?

yeah. Thought I'd bring it up, if he get tired of race gas.

SP with kadrons or a single IDF/DRLA, or when you have a throttle for each side, and a fairly long intake runner, duration around 240 at 050 (or more, though hopefully not much more), tuned exhaust,
probably can have 1 CR point difference. A near stock SP, maybe just .3 difference.
Main thing is when you have one long intake runner feeding TWO cylinders, the first cylinder's ram charge ends up bleeding into the second, and the second cylinder get even MOre ram boost, and as the cam duration increases the difference gets more pronounced.

I considered different size cylinders (it's been done!), as well as scatter cams, as well as twisting the crankshaft, but........thing is
it doesn't really matter how much goes through which cylinder, as long as it all burns. "splitting" the compression ratio is rarely done but as far as I can tell, 100% technically viable. it's just that by the time anybody knew that, engines already "grew" port injection and symmetrical manifolds and had to pass smog tests, so.... too late.

Why even bother? it's not possible to equal DP heads for power even with twisting the crankshaft, but the overall combo of good low rpm tractability, good fuel mileage, could be nice. Maybe it could be the engine VW SHOULD have built, instead of paying porsche to develop the worlds smallest sportscar and other stupidity.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

VW did play with the idea back when they did prototype engines for their first production series. It never came even close to go into mass production. It was not even close to It was soon decided that it would be a way too complicated engine for the average mechanic at the time. Also, like I wrote earlier, the gain was minimal on a production engine.
I do not know if they worked with off set cranks. I do not remember to have read anything about that.

As for the Nowegian 1600 sgl port "race" engine. The power sounds/looks right. Back in 2011/12 I think it was, I did a write up on a 1914 sgl port bus engine I did for a German customer who wanted sgl port heads for the right look, but more power to push his split bus camper. Also he did not want any "ratata" idle. I was around 3 cams and 3 exhaust systems plus varius carb/ignition combo´s. In the best set up the engine pulled about the same power (114 hp IIRC) The guy did not like the exhaust, so a more "subtle" exhaust was chosen which reduced peak power to about 105 hp. That was also when I figured out that sgl port heads works better relatively with slightly less bore and more stroke. I have not built a 1914 sgl port again after that.
I recently redid a 2 liter sgl port Limbach converted for a split bus. The engine had issues the first time around, which was basicly due to me trusting another company´s work.Should´nt have done that. Then the owner unfortunately made a woopsie, so at that point we had to take it apart. While it was apart again I made a couple of small changes and timed the cam slightly different. This seems to work well. Initial tests showed just shy of 90 hp. still with stock look apart from the muffler.
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

So update:

Please give me insight, opinions, complaints etc.

This is where I am at. I picked up engine from builder. Here are the specs I have received:

1955cc
90.5 b-pistons
5.5" I-beams w/ ARP rod bolts
ARP head bolts
76 C/W crank

Ported Single Port heads
-SS Valves 35x32
-HD Single Springs
-Chromoly Retainers
-Engle W100 w/ lifters
-1.25 Rockers
-58cc
- .040 deck height (will this be an issue)
-10.0:1 Compression
-Micropolished Crank
-Dynamically Balanced entire rotating assembly

SP Weber ICT manifolds port-matched w/ 1" spacer

Weber ICT properly jetted for setup.

CSP Pacemaker Distributor w/ Bosch Coil

38mm exhaust (most likely Vintage Speed Super Sport)

What kind of power/torque numbers?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

I hope the pacemaker is the USB or bluetooth version. The basic ones are junk IMHO.
Apart from that, fine.
Dependant on just how well your cylinderheads perform you will most likely almost max out those poor little 34´s.
On a good day,,, 101 hp @ 4800 and 165-170 Nm torque, on SAE60 correction Smile

Did we talk about stacks on the 34´s? They like that. 2" is good.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

90.5x76 with 58cc chambers and a .040 deck = 8.6cr.

Hopefully the 58cc was a missprint.

And I vote upgrade to 40mm Kadrons. And a 36.5mm intake valve. Very Happy

Brian
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
I hope the pacemaker is the USB or bluetooth version. The basic ones are junk IMHO.
Apart from that, fine.
Dependant on just how well your cylinderheads perform you will most likely almost max out those poor little 34´s.
On a good day,,, 101 hp @ 4800 and 165-170 Nm torque, on SAE60 correction Smile

Did we talk about stacks on the 34´s? They like that. 2" is good.

100 brake hp or 100 wheel hp?

165-170 converts to 120-125tq.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

Brake hp.
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

FRNKNSTNGHIA wrote:
1955cc
90.5x76
Ported Single Port heads
-SS Valves
-HD Single Springs
-Chromoly Retainers
-1.25 Rockers
-48cc (UPDATED)
-10.0:1 Compression
-Micropolished Crank
-Dynamically Balanced rotating assembly

Dellorto FRDs
-29mm venturi

What kind of power/torque numbers?

Will the 48cc chamber change previous power/torque estimates?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

if the ex ports were left alone, and the short side worked on and around the guide bosses then wack WFO the intake port and add a spliter....and some good chamber work.....and....a lot of oh never mind..
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
if the ex ports were left alone, and the short side worked on and around the guide bosses then wack WFO the intake port and add a spliter....and some good chamber work.....and....a lot of oh never mind..

Lol
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1955cc Single Port Reply with quote

I would have gone smaller on the exhaust ports, and I think Kadrons would be a better fit on the engine.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: