Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

Hey Samba,

So my bus is having choking issues when I "floor" it. I also chocks when I shift gears. So technically whenever I release off the gas pedal then press it again it chokes

I tried searching the Samba and YouTube but nothing.

can anyone help?

Last edited by apihor on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Choking 1978 westfalia, but runs/ starts up fine Reply with quote

and the last major tune up and fuel filter change was when, and how many miles ago?
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Choking 1978 westfalia, but runs/ starts up fine Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
and the last major tune up and fuel filter change was when, and how many miles ago?

I just got it this past Friday.

so both is unknown. but I check all the fuel filter and they all seem pretty good.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

Did it do the same thing before the tune up?, or is this a new symptom?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

The only tune up that I did was and oil change and spark plug change.

and I am not sure when was the last time it was done

busdaddy wrote:
Did it do the same thing before the tune up?, or is this a new symptom?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

Now you are contradicting yourself, please tell us exactly what you oe a hired shop has done to the bus in the last few years, that includes opening the decklid and pulling out the dipstick for a look at the end.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

also on oil changes. There is a nut that holds the oil strainer. If you remove that nut you can only tighten it to 9 ft lbs. If you hand tighten it and go too much it will break the case inside the engine requiring a full rebuild. Maybe someone will post the images of what I speak of.

Do a major tuneup and replace the fuel filter. Make sure the gasoline is new. Then see if it still bucks. If it does then check for vacuum leaks with a smoke tester. Fix any that appear. Check the brake booster too.

Enjoy the bus and welcome.
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

Sounds good. I will replace the all the fuel filters, add new gas, and if that does not work I ll get the vaccum lines checked.

Also Last major tune up was back in 2009. ( I got in contact with the last owner. ) Soo I will get a major tune up soon.

SGKent wrote:
also on oil changes. There is a nut that holds the oil strainer. If you remove that nut you can only tighten it to 9 ft lbs. If you hand tighten it and go too much it will break the case inside the engine requiring a full rebuild. Maybe someone will post the images of what I speak of.

Do a major tuneup and replace the fuel filter. Make sure the gasoline is new. Then see if it still bucks. If it does then check for vacuum leaks with a smoke tester. Fix any that appear. Check the brake booster too.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

apihor wrote:
Sounds good. I will replace the all the fuel filters, add new gas, and if that does not work I ll get the vaccum lines checked.

Also Last major tune up was back in 2009. ( I got in contact with the last owner. ) Soo I will get a major tune up soon.

SGKent wrote:

this should be a fuel injected type 4 engine. It will have a one fuel filter and it will be a special one for fuel injection. They aren't expensive.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

some here are making an assumption it's still stock.
is it still fuel injected or has it been changed over to a center mounted carb?
where is the air cleaner located on the engine or in the engine compartment?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

I added some pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

danfromsyr wrote:
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

If that is a 1978 you are royally screwed. That is not smoggable in California, let alone the Los Angeles basin. FI only will pass. You can get one 30 day pass to smog it then one day passes from there on or tow it on a flat bed to the smog shop when you get FI back on it.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

ok, there we go, with that center mount carb it will (almost) always have a stumble problem. it's in the physics of the carb and long steel runners.

but that's the least of your issues now.. as stated, this combination will NOT pass Cali SMOG inspection ever.
apihor wrote:
I added some pictures.

danfromsyr wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

Did something catch fire at some point? The fan grill looks all melty..
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

Hopefully the AB210 bill passes

danfromsyr wrote:
ok, there we go, with that center mount carb it will (almost) always have a stumble problem. it's in the physics of the carb and long steel runners.

but that's the least of your issues now.. as stated, this combination will NOT pass Cali SMOG inspection ever.
apihor wrote:
I added some pictures.

danfromsyr wrote:
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

Just got it this past friday. Still going through the whole thing

cmonSTART wrote:
Did something catch fire at some point? The fan grill looks all melty..
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Choking Issue 1978 westfalia( , but runs/ starts up fine) Reply with quote

Quote:
Hopefully the AB210 bill passes

Doubt it. You have to register it once in California which requires smog. Have you read the bill (that keeps dying in committee every year like this one is again - sitting since February.)

Quote:
C) All motor vehicles excepted by this paragraph shall be subject to testing and to certification requirements as determined by the department, if any of the following apply:
(i) The department determines through remote sensing activities or other means that there is a substantial probability that the vehicle has a tampered emission control system or would fail for other cause a smog check test as specified in Section 44012.
(ii) The vehicle was previously registered outside this state and is undergoing initial registration in this state.

The sniffers ARB / BAR / DMV use at freeway on ramps can get you too and take a photo of the car because it will be a gross polluter with that carb. Then you get a letter in the mail asking you to pay a visit to a special test site. You can even pass with FI and get one of those letters - I did. My bus was so clean compared to other VW buses that they thought someone fudged on the test.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billAnalysisClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB210

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: