Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

Looks like I missed you in Provo. I made it down there about 6:30. I didnt get to walk around as much as I wanted to either. There were some nice VW's out there. Looks like you saw my new to me bay. The last picture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
great resurrection thread.
but humans don't resurrect so well, and this image makes me cringe.
a piece of advise if you aren't going to slip a jack stand or big block of wood under the bus while it's supported by just a jack,
slip the tire you took off under the frame/beam/rotor.. those 8ins will save your life or toes/leg/hand.

if you were 'just' changing the tires and not working on the brakes, ignore my advise above.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks man, I was actually ready with a pair of stands just after this photo. When I was younger and stoopider a Bug I had fell off a jack, so I am probably the most paranoid person ever regarding that, making sure it never happens again! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

67_13Deluxe wrote:
Looks like I missed you in Provo. I made it down there about 6:30. I didnt get to walk around as much as I wanted to either. There were some nice VW's out there. Looks like you saw my new to me bay. The last picture.

I'm sorry I missed you! I stood by your bus a while admiring that front roof rack...I love that! And the rest of the bus is so sweet! Glad you made it safe and enjoyed yourself!
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:
67_13Deluxe wrote:

I'm sorry I missed you! I stood by your bus a while admiring that front roof rack...I love that! And the rest of the bus is so sweet! Glad you made it safe and enjoyed yourself!

Thanks! Maybe next show. I was sitting by the panel that had the Porsche on the trailer. I tried to park with our club but we were too late.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

The weekend is coming fast. Not this weekend but the next, me and my girl are going to take the bus camping up in the Utah mountains, should be awesome.

I've messed around with cracked dashboards before. This one is particularly bad. One time I spent an afternoon filling the cracks on a '72 dash with JB Weld, trying to copy the dash texture by poking the JB Weld with the end of a modeling paint brush and then painting it with matt black - but the filled parts just looked awful.
Here's my fix for that, some felt that I carefully wrapped and contact adhesive'd to the dash.
I have not trimmed the bottom in this picture, but it gives you the idea - what do you think? Felt was $6/yd and contact adhesive was $4 from Walmart.

Some project buses just came up on the local classifieds, but it appears they are all gone, so my search for replacement panels continues, as illustrated below

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

Did you know that your Bus was in a movie?

I started watching “The Hollow Point” & saw it in a scene at the 2:15 mark.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Wow !! That ^^^^^ is crazy cool !!
Great job on getting that '71 back on the road, I like the low buck fixes, and spending when it is really needed, like the engine.
Keep up the progress report coming....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

That's too funny.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Thank you so much for posting this...that is absolutely insane! I don't know much about the history of this bus but that's either the biggest coincidence ever to befall me, or that's my bus!

How did you like the movie? Rotten Tomatoes gave it a terrible rating heheheh
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Wow !! That ^^^^^ is crazy cool !!
Great job on getting that '71 back on the road, I like the low buck fixes, and spending when it is really needed, like the engine.
Keep up the progress report coming....

That's totally mental!! I wonder if....

Thanks crukab, I appreciate the words. I'll definitely keep it coming!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:

I’ll just say that the bus sighting was the best part of the movie.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The Pilch wrote:

Hahahaha yeah I was going to watch it tonight. Maybe I'll just wait the couple of minutes for the bus then turn it off.

I can confirm that this is my bus.

The guy I bought it from was Assistant Prop Master on that movie, his name is Jonas and he's in the credits at the end of the movie. That scene was filmed on location in Salt Lake City, where the bus has been in his ownership for years before he had the unfortunate crash, and I came along.

It has also been in some other things, seeing as he's a Prop guy.

Here it is, in a pop video. The song is atrocious but there's the bus....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRqOjhNN4hQ

And here it is in some LDS promo vid of some sort...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoe1-YXuuKU

Jonas is so excited to tell me about all these things. There's some more stuff it appeared in, which he's trying to find for me. Just a little bit of cool for me to geek out on.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
The Pilch wrote:

Hahahaha yeah I was going to watch it tonight. Maybe I'll just wait the couple of minutes for the bus then turn it off.

I can confirm that this is my bus.

The guy I bought it from was Assistant Prop Master on that movie, his name is Jonas and he's in the credits at the end of the movie. That scene was filmed on location in Salt Lake City, where the bus has been in his ownership for years before he had the unfortunate crash, and I came along.

It has also been in some other things, seeing as he's a Prop guy.

Here it is, in a pop video. The song is atrocious but there's the bus....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRqOjhNN4hQ

Dang, I know it's a minor role, but 86 MILLION VIEWS?
I'd try to get an agent to get a piece of that next time!
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

Love the panel behind pax seat. Is that CD covers? Especially liked seeing the ST Prime Cuts in there. Under-appreciated pioneers of punk-heavy metal- grunge mix. Before that sound was “cool”. Way to enjoy your ride while fixing it up.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

[/quote]
Dang, I know it's a minor role, but 86 MILLION VIEWS?
I'd try to get an agent to get a piece of that next time![/quote]

I know right? I've never even heard of that chick singer. Pretty glad too, because that kinda music drives me insane Very Happy

86 million views is crazy for sure. The PO has said to me if I wanted to have the bus as a prop again he'll let me know when something comes up. I said HELL YEAH!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Love the panel behind pax seat. Is that CD covers? Especially liked seeing the ST Prime Cuts in there. Under-appreciated pioneers of punk-heavy metal- grunge mix. Before that sound was “cool”. Way to enjoy your ride while fixing it up.

Thank you Kind Sir - yeah they are album covers, a general mix of what's on my ipod (I know, I know, yes I still use an ipod - better sound quality)

I agree about ST, stopped me in my tracks when I first heard "You Can't Bring Me Down" and that bass on "Feeding The Addiction" ohhhhhh!!!!!

Thanks for all your kind words, and taking the time to respond and look at my little corner of the VW world Smile
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

FWIW, the singer was Vanessa Hudgens, a Disney starlet. She was the female lead in “High School Musical”. This explains the high number of views.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
FWIW, the singer was Vanessa Hudgens, a Disney starlet. She was the female lead in “High School Musical”. This explains the high number of views.

No. No, it doesn’t. Laughing

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

It sure as hell wasn't the song.

The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

It sure as hell wasn't the song.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: