Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Freeway Flyer Tranz question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeway Flyer Tranz question Reply with quote

If this was a poll, i think i would know the winner.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeway Flyer Tranz question Reply with quote

Slightly larger than stock tires do the same thing as a taller ratio gearbox, but without the gear gaps, without removing the engine, and for less than half the cost.

Vroom vroom, bitches.
Robbie

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeway Flyer Tranz question Reply with quote

Shocked Whaaatt?!?!!, the magazines and much of the internet say you can't do that, how dare you deprive all those sellers of needless accessories and shiny things of business by tuning and maintaining your stock bus properly?, you MONSTER!! Surprised

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Freeway Flyer Tranz question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Slightly larger than stock tires do the same thing as a taller ratio gearbox, but without the gear gaps, without removing the engine, and for less than half the cost.

Vroom vroom, bitches.
Robbie

Nice but my 71 with it's full westy interior and poptop along with it's full load of camping gear, tools and spares would have the speedo pegged to the max by this point in the rpm range. But with nothing fancy going on in the engine bay and gear box.

1776 cc duel port T.1, Engle 100 cam and 041 heads. Stock pict 34 solex carb SVDA distributor with pertronix. External oil filter and cooler.
Original to the bus 002 with a 4.86 ring and pinion stock 002 gear ratios 1st through 4th. Hardend key way on the mainshaft , welded hubs on 3rd and 4th gears re-enforced shift bracket and steel shift ball.

nothing major going on here. Just twenty years on the road with miles of smiles. Very Happy

I really love this 'ol gal!
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Freeway Flyer Tranz question Reply with quote

Yes, I have to agree with Busdaddy. Not only that, but I think the listed top speed of the 1970 Bus in the owners manual says 68 mph! How dare you defy the limits that the infallible German Engineers set for you! If you keep that kind of behavior up, won't you be in danger of losing your stocknazi card? But to speak to the OP's concern, I own a 1973 with now a 1.8 and for 125,000 miles of it's life with me, a 1.7. I drove everywhere at 65-70 back in the day, including across country several times, even pulling a 1500 lb trailer. That was back in the day when parts were easy to come by and we didn't worry about having to rebuild stuff except for the cost. The only drawback to the high rpms of the stock system is the noise and feel of an engine turning a higher rpm. The noise can be somewhat abated with modern insulation techniques, and if the higher rpms doesn't feel bad to you, then I agree that a freeway flyer would not be ideal or even acceptable for a stock or near stock power output. That big jump between 3rd and 4th with stock power output would be very difficult to navigate around in normal driving.
Now, add a bunch of power, and things change, but then we go down the slippery slope o just how much do we want to modiy?
Sounds like the trans rebuilder is giving you good advice.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Freeway Flyer Tranz question Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:

Sounds like the trans rebuilder is giving you good advice.

Not sure I would call it advice. But he certainly gave me something to think about. I am glad I started the thread.

I was considering tinkering with the ride height and a buddy went crazy on me and said to leave-it-stock.

Now you guys are on the leave-it-stock side for the transmission. Stock does have a look and feel that is nice. I guess I just need to keep going down the leave-it-stock road on everything. Which I pretty much have been doing..... so far. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: