Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New CV bolts turning out after just several days
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

Agreed.

If the bolts were Allen-heads, I might have (in a former life) tightened them with an L-Wrench.
So they would have about 16 ft-lbs.
And it’s physically impossible to pull 80 lbs at 5” to get 33 ft-lbs on an L-wrench.
Lots of L-wrenches would be used and nobody would pull that hard.

Then you’d have a situation where everyone’s trying all kinda bolt retention methods, from q-tips to aircraft hardware.

All hail the triple-square!!!
And the 20-30 years of tested success for the 33ft-lbs.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

I have no issue with getting a decent swing on my clicker torque wrenches when installing CVs. I also use the torque wrench for all fasteners where a torque spec is specified. I have been wrenching long enough that I have an excellent hand feel for torque but using a torque wrench reduces my own stress when hurtling along at 70 MPH in a 30 year old metal box.

Abscate wrote:
ILl guess 90% of mechanics would not use a torque wrench on this job.

That accounts for all the issues people seem to have with CV bolts loosening.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

In looking up typical torque values, for an m8 10.9 bolt that is lubed the typical torque value is 24 ft-lbs. 33 ft-lbs is a 37.5% increase over normal 10.9 torque and considering that all of the other M8 fasteners on a vanagon get the 15-18 ft-lb specs, it is 83-120% higher than what is typical for M8 fasteners on a Vanagon.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
In looking up typical torque values, for an m8 10.9 bolt that is lubed the typical torque value is 24 ft-lbs. 33 ft-lbs is a 37.5% increase over normal 10.9 torque and considering that all of the other M8 fasteners on a vanagon get the 15-18 ft-lb specs, it is 83-120% higher than what is typical for M8 fasteners on a Vanagon.

Lock tight will help insure your torque is less of a problem. A good cleaning of the threads also.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:

. I will say that I ran a tap into every hole after blowing them out with compressed air - simply because they are blind holes.

Ummmm..... blind?
Not mine.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

Lock tight will help insure your torque is less of a problem. A good cleaning of the threads also.

Are we on page six already, lol? Can you get that torque insurance at Farmers or Geiko? Regardless, my torque is not a problem. Not a single occurrence of a bolt loosening after properly torquing hundreds to 33 ft-lbs. Collectively if you add in the number of CV bolts torqued by Chris Shimke, dobryan, Sodo, etc... who also have no issues with properly torqued bolts, the number of data points is completely overwhelming that simply torquing properly is all that is required to ensure that the bolts do not come loose on their own. I do a cursory cleaning of the bolt threads, but cleaning with brake clean will actually lower the actual clamping force of a fastener installed at the same torque wrench setting. Loctite™, if not completely cleaned from the threads can similarly lower the actual clamping force of the bolt (requiring chasing both bolt and drive flange threads each use) and so is anti-helpful and could actually be the cause of properly torqued bolts coming loose in the future.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

0cean wrote:

Yes, always good practice.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

anyone who has had a cv come loose a better than 45mph will be damn sure to do the job correctly the next time. That is some loud and aggressive pounding and will scare the be-jesus out of you. BTDT

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
anyone who has had a cv come loose a better than 45mph will be damn sure to do the job correctly the next time. That is some loud and aggressive pounding and will scare the be-jesus out of you. BTDT

Damnit, now I feel like I haven't lived.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
0cean wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

Are we on page six already, lol? Can you get that torque insurance at Farmers or Geiko? Regardless, my torque is not a problem. Not a single occurrence of a bolt loosening after properly torquing hundreds to 33 ft-lbs. Collectively if you add in the number of CV bolts torqued by Chris Shimke, dobryan, Sodo, etc... who also have no issues with properly torqued bolts, the number of data points is completely overwhelming that simply torquing properly is all that is required to ensure that the bolts do not come loose on their own. I do a cursory cleaning of the bolt threads, but cleaning with brake clean will actually lower the actual clamping force of a fastener installed at the same torque wrench setting. Loctite™, if not completely cleaned from the threads can similarly lower the actual clamping force of the bolt (requiring chasing both bolt and drive flange threads each use) and so is anti-helpful and could actually be the cause of properly torqued bolts coming loose in the future.

The guy who started this thread tightened them to specs correct? I have tightened CV's to specs with all new hardware and still had them come loose. Loctite will only help hold the bolts and wont cause issues if you reused the bolt or threads its going into. Next time its used, most of the locktite will be pushed out and if its not, then it will just help hold the bolt. No harm and no foul.

Cluster Rebuild:

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
The guy who started this thread tightened them to specs correct?

Seriously? No. He used an inch-pounds torque wrench instead of a foot-pounds torque wrench so he torqued them to 33 inch-pounds (2.75 foot-pounds - slightly more than finger tight) instead of the spec of 33 foot-pounds.

Quote:
I have tightened CV's to specs with all new hardware and still had them come loose.

Then either you have bad technique, set the wrench wrong, or your torque wrench is out of calibration. Double-check and make sure it's a foot-pounds wrench you're using.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

A “very experienced” local VW shop R&R’d my trans once and the CV bolts were all loose after a few days. I thought they “forgot” to tighten them. I tightened them “by hand” to the 26 ft-lbs number. Then checked later and they were loosening. So I tightened again. By “calibrated hand-torque wrench”. I had 26 ft-lbs in memory, didn’t look at spec in the Bentley.

Some years later (2015?) I “learned” of the 33ft-lbs spec, and was astounded how “friggin tight” that was.
For a the last few years I thought 33 was a “rogue-mechanic” Vanagon hack. Embarassed
I wasn’t buying into the dry-threads thing ‘cuz I have the ability to go under the van and check up on the bolts. And I know that a greased bolt “ends up tighter and has less “wind-up torsion” that acts to unscrew a dry bolt. And that when the grease oozes out of the highest pressure thread contacts, it starts to lock in place. And I could go under the van and re-check. Which I did, and they were staying tight.

But I still do “33 and a later re-check” because I can, its extra, but easy. Just like Ocean does the loctite, because he can and doesn’t mind the little extra work “to be sure” on his 30+ year old van. There’s lots of things we do “to be sure”.

We recommend everyone to change their fuel hoses. I sure hope the OP takes the van to an experienced mechanic to check up on his fuel hoses...

?Waldo? wrote:
0cean wrote:
The guy who started this thread tightened them to specs correct?

Seriously? No. He used an inch-pounds torque wrench instead of a foot-pounds torque wrench so he torqued them to 33 inch-pounds (2.75 foot-pounds - slightly more than finger tight) instead of the spec of 33 foot-pounds.

...or if the torque wrench scale was interpreted “in error” and one whole turn too tight,,,, 43 inch-lbs (3.6 ft-lbs).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:34 am; edited 3 times in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

Very Happy It's hard to know. I was assuming that at least he set the specified 33 number regardless of units.

Someone using the NM scale and setting to 33 will also undershoot the correct torque and instead only torque to 24 ft-lbs which has been shown to be problematic.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

[quote="?Waldo?"]
0cean wrote:

Quote:
I have tightened CV's to specs with all new hardware and still had them come loose.

Then either you have bad technique, set the wrench wrong, or your torque wrench is out of calibration. Double-check and make sure it's a foot-pounds wrench you're using.

No... everything was done correctly both times and they loosened. Loctite and a good cleaning is the only way I've found to insure they wont come loose leaving you on the side of the road.

Cluster Rebuild:

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

You must have been doing something wrong. I've changed countless CVs, CV boots, axles, etc in my 40 years of CV axle VW van work and never put Locktite on CV bolts. Always use the later 12 point CV bolts, with stock plates and washers.

Mark

0cean wrote:

No... everything was done correctly both times and they loosened. Loctite and a good cleaning is the only way I've found to insure they wont come loose leaving you on the side of the road.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

AN undamaged grade 10.9 M8 fastener torqued correctly to 33 ft lbs won't loosen up under use in a CV application. If yours do, something isn't right.

The number of ways the tech can screw it up are infinite, but the fastener and torque are not to blame
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
You must have been doing something wrong. I've changed countless CVs, CV boots, axles, etc in my 40 years of CV axle VW van work and never put Locktite on CV bolts. Always use the later 12 point CV bolts, with stock plates and washers.

Mark

0cean wrote:

Yeah, I thought that myself, yet a Machanic also tightened them correctly with the same result. I’m not saying it’s the only way, I’m just saying it’s worked very well for me. One extra step is a lot easier then a broken down on the side of the road repair.

Cluster Rebuild:

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

New, ambitious Vanagon-mechanic-to-be has a go-for it attitude, charges ahead,
but does not have an experienced mechanic nearby to ask about "the details".

New Vanagon mechanic tightened CV bolts to 33 inch-lbs (2.75 ft-lbs) and they came loose.
Two times.
A similar problem (torqued bolts loosening) happened with the Flywheel bolts in April in another thread:
Flywheel Mount After Wrong Bolts Jammed Into Crank

jeremypbeasley wrote:
To my surprise, the flywheel bolts (all but one) were visibly loose, able to be turned out by hand. In fact, most of them had visible space between the head of the bolt and the flywheel. My immediate assumption was that yours truly is an idiot and that I forgot to tighten, much less torque to spec, my flywheel.

Flywheel bolts spec is 80 ft-lbs.
We might assume that the torque wrench was the same inch-lb unit set at 80-inch-lbs? (=6.66 ft-lbs)
The devil is in the details.
If flywheel bolts were torqued to 80 inch-lbs there's no surprise the flywheel came loose.
I didn't see anyone saying "this is a common problem".
It's not - 80 ft-lb is firkin' tight , they don't come loose, and nobody talks about them loosening.

Possible same torque wrench user error pops up again in July.....
Inch-lb wrench was set at 33 inch-lbs (= 2.75 ft-lbs).
CVs came loose.
OP is Embarassed

Then OP gets a Ft-lbs tool and now a different problem, bolts are breaking.
Quality bolts, from PeaceVans.

jeremypbeasley wrote:
Alrighty, I bought 12 new NOVA bolts from Peace Vans. I put six on the passenger side and torqued in a star pattern from 10, 20, and then 33 ft lbs. Went fine but oddly one of the bolts snapped in half on the final 33 torque. I removed the other 5 bolts, pulled back the CV, and easily turned out the broken bolt with my fingers.

I repeated the above (replacing the broken bolt) and everything went fine. I also then retorqued the bolts on the wheel hub to 33.

Then I moved to the drivers side with my newly repacked CV and 6 new bolts. The bolts went in and torqued just fine on the wheel hub. When I moved to CV on the trans, I had another bolt break off in the final torque. When I removed all the other 5 bolts, i was surprised to find that the CV was stuck to the flange/coupler part of the trans. Pic below.

Obviously there’s some slight bur or bent portion of either part that wasn’t fixed by my filing and sanding.

If the flange was not seating, and each bolt was bending as it was torqued, there's no question they would break. It's like bending them in a circle. But The CV would also be visibly crooked in the flange.

My super-sleuth theory is that the (confusing) torque setting markings on the tool caused this wrench to be set at 43 ft-lbs instead of 33 ft-lbs. (HF tool is 10 lbs per rotation).
Everyone has to think back to the first time you saw a torque wrench, which is difficult (and impossible to some).
Each mark has a little "step-down" scribe that you have to understand. If you don't know what the step-down means, the wrench will be set "wrong". And on the $20 Harbor freight tool, one full turn past the step-down is 10 ft-lbs MORE.
And with nobody to ask
(knowing the OP charges on ahead totally unafraidofit)
it's easy to theorize that the wrench was set at 43 ft-lbs;
which could break bolts (that are spec'd to be stretching in at 33 ft-lbs).

My caution to the OP, you are totally unafraid, and you have the interest, and obviously the mechanical understanding to become a very good mechanic.
And rest assured a 40yo Vanagon will test your mettle.
But you HAVE to slow down and allow time for the BASICS of mechanics to surface.
Finding an experienced mechanic somehow to bounce Qs offa would be ideal, but I understand that's difficult.
Possibly the VanAlert app could help you find one nearby or the Vanagon Rescue Squad could hook you up too. Someone to talk things over with.

Or go much slower, and ask more BASIC questions on theSamba. You're good at asking, much better than most, and suprisingly candid,
but probably should ask even more Q's "BEFORE" you button things up and drive off.

Luckily for newbies, there's a MUCH more helpful attitude on TheSamba these days and this proves Samba is a better place now.
In the old days TK woulda beat this guy up by the 3rd post, thrashing the decorum, egging others to pigpile on the poor member.
Kinda how our whole country communicates today, right?
But not theSamba, members are much more helpful now, and it would be great to see theSamba stay that way.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

Paul Simon - Fifty Newton Meter Ways to Fubar a CV joint bolt on..

Im sure there are more

Lousy torque wrench from Garbage Freight
Poor socket - torque lost deforming head rather than tightening fastener
Fastener Quality- Novices think "parts from VW Heaven" are good. Mechanics inspect parts regardless of source. Supply chains change. Daily.
Poor torque use. Novice with torque wrench and extender bar will not apply set torque to fastener.
Damage to CV face
Damage to threads in flange
Damage to fastener
Cross threading
Not adapting torque to lubrication
Wrong Bolts - depth too little or too much
Galling on head friction surface
Crap in threads
Warped/bent flange
Bent axle
Preload on rear wheel bearing
Excessive filtering of transmission gear oil (ok, I made that up for you, Sodo)
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New CV bolts turning out after just several days Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
No... everything was done correctly both times and they loosened.

I hope that you find my skepticism understandable. When you add up the various people who have commented in this thread alone that they have had no issues at all with properly torqued bolts, the number of bolts tightened is likely in the thousands... without any issues at all. I find it hard to believe that everyone else who has had zero issues is doing it wrong and the one outlier who claims to have done 'everything right and still had issues' is correct. If I were in your position, I would be hesitant to be aggressive towards those individuals who have not had any issues at all, and instead would be asking for insight into possible causes for the issues encountered.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: