Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Euro with bullets?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Euro with bullets? Reply with quote

Ive seen people put short over rider bumpers on a bullet car but one guy back in the 80s with a bamboo 57 vert claimed his was a euro with bullet option. No semaphores, no ram protection, KM trip speedo, steering lock. Since all these things can be bolted on and its just a story I didnt really think of it much. There was a guy on the vert thread from Spain that had bullets but the pics and BC are now gone.

Was it possible to order 'bullet' turn signals on a non export car between 5/55 and 7/57?

I could not find a M code for it in the list that wasnt attached to an export bundle. Maybe just Spain? Ive seen the weird side lights they required in Italy so maybe the larger tail lights that come with bullets too?
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Euro with bullets? Reply with quote

Well kinda see the second post and the photo Euro car (but for export iirc) bullets + semaphores not factory, dealer again iirc
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684232&highlight=blauchen
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro with bullets? Reply with quote

Ive seen the gray market cars with filled in semaphores and bullets or peanuts, and the multiple bastard dealer creations.

Other than that spain vert are there any domestic ovals with bullets? Maybe some early square windows with peanuts and no ram protection?
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro with bullets? Reply with quote

Gray market perhaps but it was done by a dealer in the home market new and the car in question has both bullets (fenders added) and semaphores rather interesting wiring done by the dealer at the request of a US serviceman so not your typical gray market car. If you're looking for "quantity" rather than example that's another matter
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro with bullets? Reply with quote

… every type one, I have owned in the last 40 years received euro bumper guards - for me the taller guards with towel bars are just so unattractive - - same for bullets. Actually, I am a fan of pre March, 1955 as they all had euro-guards anyway -

- but for later type ones, I like (the cleaner-look of) Euro guards - i'm into looks, more than correctness - I know what's correct -

My 3/55 gets as many split parts, as I can afford - is more fun for me - we all get fun in different ways - some want complete correctness -

- my 3/55 has a beautiful set of split round horn grill front fenders - a 1948 cog weel shift knob - coffee color split steering wheel - L w decklid opener - non parking wiper motor- all black dash knobs I don't really like ivory ones - and my '54 has a solid front hood emblem

- gotta have fun, no matter how - you with correctness - me with incorrectness.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Euro with bullets? Reply with quote

I guess Im like you, I like to back date what ever I have to make things look a little more 'vintage'. I like to do it so it looks correct and that 90% wouldnt know what year the car is. I started off with honeycombs on my euro 62, Convertible W decklid on my 59 vert, ice pics and vert decklid on my euro 60, and dollars/bullets on my 63 bus.

Now Im working on my 56 vert and am juggling in my mind what I want to do with it. Like you the ram protection looks bulky, bullets with euro bumpers doesnt look right to me. I have semaphore boxes, hearts, eggs and batwing off a split to utilize but the bullets are killing me. I also have really nice one year only 67 front and rear bumpers and early euro tail lights (chevrons) but I think that is going too far in the other direction.

I started doing some body work and noticed the lack of ram protection bracket at the bottom of the spare tire well and it got me thinking. I looked closer at the front apron and noticed the over rider holes are rough cut not stamped making me believe it started off with non ram protection setup. The BC is of little use and actually makes things more confusing.

-The care is SK L259 Pelican Red
-No left factory date usually meaning it got put on the side line for QC/correction
-No country of destination
-No made in western germany tag

but has export options like MPH speedo and Ram protection

What is weird to me is the m code 917 which is leatherette instead of cloth, normally ALL export cars automatically got leatherette. If the car had semaphores it would be easy to figure out. My guess all these years leads me to tourist delivery but its still confusing. I guess its just a factory error since the bracket was in use since mid 54 but who knows for sure.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro with bullets? Reply with quote

… my 1962 SO33 with SK paint was tourist delivery - i'll bet you are right, that your vert is too.. If this is so then, i would not call your '56 a Euro - if made for the American market - sounds nice... sounds interesting - sounds American.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro with bullets? Reply with quote

Mph speedometer, and left hand drive.
So not for the UK, and not for rest of Europe either (as continental Europe has km/h, not mph).

Also, laminated windscreen and ram protection are typical US car features.
Chances are pretty fair that you have a car that was destined for the US market.

Was the front apron on your car replaced?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro with bullets? Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
Mph speedometer, and left hand drive.
So not for the UK, and not for rest of Europe either (as continental Europe has km/h, not mph).

Also, laminated windscreen and ram protection are typical US car features.
Chances are pretty fair that you have a car that was destined for the US market.

Was the front apron on your car replaced?

I always figured it was a U.S. market car but all these little things keep me thinking there is more to this thing. Early on I thought the VIN area sheet metal had been replaced at some time due to no body number stamped. I started doing body work on it and noticed it was the original piece. The apron is the original but off the car which is when I noticed the lack of support bracket.

At this point I am guessing Tourist Delivery or possibly feature car? Pelican Red with white interior is not a common combo. Ive seen several period import magazines which show a red bullet oval vert as well as one pic of an 'autorama' type show with a comment 'red vw cabriolet'. I guess I will never know.

I was hoping the BC would shed light on a few things but in fact gave more questions than answers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: