Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Leak - Main Seal
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

How’s the crankshaft endplay?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

End play is .005. I checked it Everytime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

the mention of valve cover venting mentioned by aerotech from the locked
thread, I'm curious what the leakdown #s are for the new(ish) pistons & cyl.?
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

Letdown numbers is something I don't understand.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

Google leakdown test or differential compression test
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

Will do.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

in your photos, what is all the oil that appears to be dripping down the passenger side under the pushrod tubes?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

The leak is coming from where the tranny bell housing and engine meet even though the pic suggests differently. It's the angle of the picture.
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

Well, I'm troubleshooting case pressure. Took oil filler cap off and ran engine at idle and there is a slight puff when I hold cap loose on filler. I left it off and drive a couple of miles and the stopped the bus and cut engine off. Looked underneath 5 minutes later and still have oil dripping between tranny and engine. So in my mind, it's either blow by rings, broken ring (s), or an undetected crack in my new as41 case. Engine doesn't appear to be burning oil. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Jay
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

lets try this again:

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
what style RMS tool are you using? that shitty one that is a big washer or the nice machined one with the steps in it?

I use the latter. you draw the seal in till it hits the dowels.
also, what flywheel are you using and are you 1000% sure the graphite o-ring is in there perfectly clean? I have spent upwards of 10 mins just cleaning that groove out.

you MUST replace that o ring any time you take the flywheel off.

you're not using any of the tin/paper gaskets on the dowel/tail of the crank are you?

what tools are you using to install the seal? you never did give an answer. simply tapping a seal in is suicide here for a lot of reasons which I will go in to if you answer the question

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

just to be sure we are on the same wavelength - you are saying that this whole area that looks like an oil leak is coming from the bell housing? I have never seen that before where it only concentrates on one side like that running back unless it is coming from above. Normally an oil leak in the flywheel area goes straight back in the middle of the bottom. It would be dripping off the case part line area and the oil strainer nuts.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

So, you drove with the cap off, parked, still had drips.

Are you certain the drips were fresh or could they possibly be residual oil from before?

Get a bottle of UV dye and add that to your oil. Use 1/2 bottle. Any new leaks with be easy to see
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

Aeromech, I drove it several times and stopped it hoping for less oil dripping results. It's about the same. I've probably have reworked 20 vw engines over the years and never ran across this issue. I'll try the dye and pull motor and see. I really appreciate your input.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

evidently you're not going to answer.

best of luck

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
evidently you're not going to answer.
best of luck

Skills asks a valid question. That said, here is the issue I am having. The leak is supposedly coming from the main seal. Ok. I accept this is the PO's verdict. However in 500,000 miles in a 1971 bus I have seen almost all the oil leaks from unusual places - oil sender, distributor, cracked case behind #3, shims cut thru to the dowel pins on the crank etc. And I have seen main seal leaks on occasion. What I have never seen on a main seal leak is oil that doesn't drip out the bell housing right at the center and blow straight back all over the part line area and oil strainer. All I see in this photo is oil coming out on the 3-4 side and none in the center of the bell housing. What am I missing here? Yellow arrow is where the oil looks to be. White is where a main seal leak appears usually.

Last edited by SGKent on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

I installed the main seal with the big washer with gland bolt until it tighten slightly. I then took a small round block of would and gently tapped it in until is was all the way back into the case. I've done this on other builds with no issues.
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

sgkent, the oil is leaking behind the flywheel and dripping down in middle of split in crankcase where the case and tranny meet. The yellow tint you are pointing to is dry even though it looks wet.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

vwnc wrote:
I've done this on other builds with no issues.

ok...here's the deal. toss that washer in the trash and get this:

https://www.amazon.com/DELUXE-FLYWHEEL-SEAL-INSTALLER-buggy/dp/B003LIRJHK

it is far better than the washer.

I agree with steve...almost looks like oil cooler seal. RMS will piss out bad at the notch in the case to trans interface.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

The dye should lead you to the source

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak - Main Seal Reply with quote

Thanks areomech.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: