Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

boost gauge for Vanagon TD conversion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: boost gauge for Vanagon TD conversion Reply with quote

If there is a "sticky" on this please let me know.

Is there any consensus on the most reliable method of installing a boost gauge on a TD conversion Vanagon (mine is AAZ)?

Any ideas on the most useful VDO gauge to use in such an application?
1978 Volkswagen super beetle convertible
1992 Eurovan 2.5 5spd westfalia
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: boost gauge for Vanagon TD conversion Reply with quote

it's not the same. but I run a cheap sunpro on my 1.8T swap.
it's just Tee'd into the small boost line that goes to the blow off valve..
it's not too complicated and IMO a boost gauge is a required piece for a boosted swap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: boost gauge for Vanagon TD conversion Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593363
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: boost gauge for Vanagon TD conversion Reply with quote

Even though diesels do not typically produce vacuum, having a vac/boost gauge is more useful than simply a boost gauge as it will show if you have an issue with a restriction to the intake (e.g. clogged air filter, collapsing intake tube, etc...) by going into the vacuum range before developing boost. The knowledge of an intake restriction can save a lot of trouble.
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: boost gauge for Vanagon TD conversion Reply with quote

So if I ordered one of these and ran the feed tube back to the small feed line that runs the wastegate, and teed it in, that would give me a reliable way of determining boost delivered?

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/instruments-displays-and-clusters/by-type/boost-turbo-vacuum.html

I am going to be playing around with the fueling and boost and attempt to get a good combination that keeps EGTs low so I need to know both EGTs and how much boost I am putting in.

I already have ordered the EGT gauge and probe from aircraft spruce.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: boost gauge for Vanagon TD conversion Reply with quote

I assume the line to the wastegate is from the intake scroll. The line to the intake manifold would be a bit more accurate as far as the boost the engine is seeing. The line from intake scroll to wastegate also might reduce the effectiveness of the vac reading of a restricted intake making the gauge a fair amount less useful for warning against issues.
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: boost gauge for Vanagon TD conversion Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I assume the line to the wastegate is from the intake scroll. The line to the intake manifold would be a bit more accurate as far as the boost the engine is seeing. The line from intake scroll to wastegate also might reduce the effectiveness of the vac reading of a restricted intake making the gauge a fair amount less useful for warning against issues.

Thank you. I will use that line then.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: boost gauge for Vanagon TD conversion Reply with quote

Deleted.

Last edited by Achilles3588 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: boost gauge for Vanagon TD conversion Reply with quote

Achilles3588 wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

Resurrecting this thread as part of researching the 'how to'. I know next to nothing about boost msmt. Just trying to understand...

First - to be clear, on a boost gauge, what is really being measured is gauge pressure / vacuum at the intake manifold (preferably). That is, pressure/vacuum relative to atmospheric pressure; and, it is a basic compound pressure gauge vs. one meant to measure differential pressure (say) across the turbo compressor. So just one single pressure (vac) tap, correct?

Next, once tapped into the intake manifold, does that tubing then run all the way to the front of the vehicle to where the gauge is mounted, or is there some type of transducer installed in the engine bay to change the signal from pressure to voltage? I see many posts / videos on boost gauge installation but they are typically for front engine mounted vehicles where the install seems a bit 'easier'.

On my gasser I'm running one of these:

https://www.plxdevices.com/PLX-MultiGauges-and-Sensors-s/108.htm

I use the wideband O2 setup to measure mixture, but I also have the boost module and EGT sensor and the gauge also monitors battery voltage. The boost gauge is tied into the compressor to wastegate line since that is the point at which the boost is actually controlled (i.e. when the gate will open to dump boost).

For this system you can install the modules in the engine compartment or as I did, under the rear seat by the ECU. The modules all daisy-chain together into one data line to the gauge. For the Gauge you just run a data wire to the dash. You can also add oil/water temp sensors/modules if you want. Just more $$$
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: boost gauge for Vanagon TD conversion Reply with quote

"controlled (i.e. when the gate will open to dump boost)"

Should've said bypass exhaust around the turbine to limit boost, rather than dump boost...
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: boost gauge for Vanagon TD conversion Reply with quote

I offer these and can also make one to your specifications...

https://uniwerksdesign.com/vw-vanagon/gauges-powerpods/

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: