Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Question about chambers.....has anyone here experimented with. "Soft" chamber? Say....7 degrees? I've been reading g a lot about this and in my mind it's a much less expensive option other than the super squishy pistons.

I have since 2005 ran the SS pistons (I have set #1 of the first 8 pistons ordered, John has #2). The heads have to be shaped to match the piston. It isn't one or the other.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

wtf R soft chambers....rubber so the piston bounces back?
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Question about chambers.....has anyone here experimented with. "Soft" chamber? Say....7 degrees? I've been reading g a lot about this and in my mind it's a much less expensive option other than the super squishy pistons.

I have since 2005 ran the SS pistons (I have set #1 of the first 8 pistons ordered, John has #2). The heads have to be shaped to match the piston. It isn't one or the other.

Soft chambers are fine with flat top pistons.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
wtf R soft chambers....rubber so the piston bounces back?

Am angle is cut into the quench are 4 to 7 degrees towards the valves....keeps fuel mixture from pooling here and puts the boom in the chamber itself. Cuts back on detonation. I've got the parts to build a little 2165...will probably have my new Tims stage 2's on my shelf cut with soft chambers for the build. Run a cb2292 cam at 11:1 and see what happens.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:

Am angle is cut into the quench are 4 to 7 degrees towards the valves....keeps fuel mixture from pooling here and puts the boom in the chamber itself. Cuts back on detonation.

isn't that exactly what a tight parallel deck does? how would a 'soft' chamber achieve this better? sounds somewhat like a semi-semi chamber, essentially eliminating the squish.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

HAM made big bore type 4 heads sort of like that some years back. (He may be doing it still) His way was making it sort of half hemi on the non plug side. It created the need for more timing advance and gave less torque. But I think it is correct that the mod prevented pinging. Not really sure why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

Google "soft head" Endyn coined the phrase and designed the super squish pistons for aircooled.net. The combustion shape biases the air/fuel mixture towards the exhaust side of the chamber. Works well.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

Just doing a valve job on our new cylinder head design.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Call me for pricing..... Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Google "soft head" Endyn coined the phrase and designed the super squish pistons for aircooled.net. The combustion shape biases the air/fuel mixture towards the exhaust side of the chamber. Works well.

right, Ive read quite about it but I have not seen a 'soft head' run with flat top pistons, unless the chamber is radically designed accordingly. The other way to achieve somewhat the same effect is to shape the piston, as you mention.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Just doing a valve job on our new cylinder head design.

Call me for pricing..... Laughing
nothing new we have a few sets of those hear, along with the first set sold by edelbrock. they work awesome for many apps but piston shape is the key for non forced induction. pistons do tend to be a little heaver than some other head types.but that also depends on the application.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

Look at those polished up combustion chambers........didnt they get the memo that it doesnt work?

Are these the new Mofoco 450cc inake ports?😊😊😊😊 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Look at those polished up combustion chambers........didnt they get the memo that it doesnt work?

Yeah, all in; $6000 per head.

These heads are off a Top Alcohol Funny Car driven by the brother of my cylinder head guy(who happens to be the guy who designed the Mofoco Cylinder Head Casting back in the 90's)

You can watch him race in a couple weeks at Bowling Green, his name is Ray Drew. He's won a few races so far this year. Pretty cool stuff. Amazing what goes into those cars, especially since he runs without a major sponsor.

www.mofoco.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
jpaull wrote:

Yeah, all in; $6000 per head.

These heads are off a Top Alcohol Funny Car driven by the brother of my cylinder head guy(who happens to be the guy who designed the Mofoco Cylinder Head Casting back in the 90's)

You can watch him race in a couple weeks at Bowling Green, his name is Ray Drew. He's won a few races so far this year. Pretty cool stuff. Amazing what goes into those cars, especially since he runs without a major sponsor.

Racing and learning tricks that help for street engines really go hand in hand. I see Ray got his start working with your dad, cool history:

"Quick Drive Racing– We all have a memory of getting hooked and addicted to speed. Can you tell us when this started and where it was?

Ray Drew– I acquired a job at a Service-Machine shop, Parts Store during High School that was only a mile from school. The owner, Randy Henning, raced alcohol Funny car and I was able to earn a spot on the crew and basically got hooked from there.

https://www.quickdriveracing.com/ray-drew-interview.html
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

Here is an Off Road Race Car running our 040's in the MORE off road series.

His name is Bryce Farrar. Here is the email he sent me.

"Last year was my first year in this class. I ended up with 1 win and multiple podiums, finishing 3rd in class and 5th overall for the MORE racing series. As for this season in MORE racing we have had a really good year. I opened up the season with three wins in a row and a fourth, putting me first in class and second overall for the points standings. We are currently running the high compression option but are working with Daniel(the guy who builds our cylinder heads here at Mofoco) on getting a set of heads ready to build the new low compression option. Thank you for everything you guys have done for me. My success would not be possible without the dedication of your team."

www.mofoco.com

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

Here is a 1/4 mile drag car based at Alaska Raceway Park in Palmer, Alaska.

1970 Standard VW Type 1, body-off detail with 10-point roll cage installed, front and rear suspension modifications. Stock body and doors with modified front and rear lids, fiberglass fenders--total weight 2187 lbs.

2387cc (86mm Berg crank X 5.7 Carillow "Porsche" rods X 94mm Revmaster cylinders) normally-aspirated engine married to Mofoco 050 heads (oval-ported, oversize triple spring seats with rewelded intake boss, etc), Jaycee-supplied custom steel billet 290 degree camshaft pushing Weizmann lifters, Scat 1.4 ratio rockers, original Italian Weber 48IDA's (venturis removed, modified accelerator pump air bleed, etc), Custom "4 in 1" merged collector 1.625" open stinger Berg refitted exhaust. Compression ratio 10.3:1. Completely blueprinted engine and dynamically balanced-everything.
powerband 3700-8600 rpm
best ET 2019 racing season with Mofoco 050 heads in the mix: 12.53 quarter mile @ 104.1MPH

www.mofoco.com

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

That’s cool Roy. Do you have a link or info How that type of off road racer would typically set up an engine. Not asking for secret sauce recipe. Just curious

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
That’s cool Roy. Do you have a link or info How that type of off road racer would typically set up an engine. Not asking for secret sauce recipe. Just curious

Well, I think it's like stock cars where the engine is "supposed" to be set up exactly the same as everyone else BUT then people obviously figure out ways to stay within the rules and gain more HP.

www.mofoco.com

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mofoco's Made In USA Heads - Test Results/Reviews? Reply with quote

why wood somebody take a D port and make a oval out of it.......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: