Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vw beetle woody wagon rear engine door cooling?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikhail_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Vw beetle woody wagon rear engine door cooling? Reply with quote

I have the rear engine door on the beetle woody. I will be leaving the spare tire where it is mounted.

The engine bay? Other than being a stock beetle with no decklid, it is surround by plywood and some ventilation on the rear door. No metal fire wall even.

I hope mike Stevenson who designed the woody kit car design sees this and can offer me some input.

I am going to mount the rear signals on the top door. Leaving me more space for ventilation. I saw a floor vent cover that was made of wood. And it got me thinking i should make some sort of slatted wood vent cover design on the rear.

In the attached photos, the side panels have an inner insert panel that is where the engine bay area is. I was thinking of some wood hood scoop style inserts so i can get a forced airflow into the engine bay and out through the rear door ventilation.

Also where the 2x4 wood piece thats on the bottom of engine door is maybe 3/4 inch clearance from the flywheel. I want to really get it further away just in the centre area. The door will be fine, just where the 2x4 bit is im not really liking it for safety and maintenance reasons.

I feel like the restriction of airflow in the half wood half metal engine bay will become an issue with the travelling i intend to do. Also anything to keep an aircooled engine cooler will always help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle woody wagon rear engine door cooling? Reply with quote

Hinging the door at the top would give you better access to the engine for maintenance.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle woody wagon rear engine door cooling? Reply with quote

You would be better served taking air in through grills in the sides of the car. Where your air intake is now is in a huge low pressure area that doesnt have much air and what's there has a high volume of exhaust gasses in it. You need to think of your woodie as more of a van than a bug and take your cooling cues from what vw did on vans.

brad

Lucky Monkey Landspeed Racing
1962 Canadian Buggy 121.253mph - Bonneville 2012
1957 Beetle 118.642mph - Bonneville 2014
1957 LSR Buggy 130.583mph - Bonneville 2018
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle woody wagon rear engine door cooling? Reply with quote

Swap those ugly strap hinges out for some nice chrome/stainless steel marine hinges.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vw beetle woody wagon rear engine door cooling? Reply with quote

Based on what has work'd for my (much lighter) buggy with enclosed engine (after toasting a few engines), here's where I'd suggest putting in some louvers:

I mirror imaged your woodie to indicate passenger side. That's approximately where I found success for incoming air for engine cooling via a scoop above rear right wheel:

Was not satisfied tho, until widening the pipe leading to shroud inlet:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8801863
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: