Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clogged/leaking single port heat risers
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Clogged/leaking single port heat risers Reply with quote

So I’ve used the search feature to study for days about my clogged heat risers. I don’t have access to use an acetylene torch, so I’ve been reaming it out with cable wire and a drill. I just read today that if they’re really bad I could end up putting a hole in the tubing. Now I’ve discovered there’s a leak where the risers join the manifold. I’ve read where others mention discovering a leak too, but haven’t seen how to repair it. I also have read where it’s suggested to not bother with fully clogged heat risers and just replace the manifold, but who sells them? There was a link for a new SP manifold in one thread I read where the poster said “life’s too short” and posted the link, insinuating that it’s a waste of time trying to clean them or repair them. I can’t really find anyone that sells new single port intake manifolds...

Should I continue trying to refurb mine, or buy a new one?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged/leaking single port heat risers Reply with quote

Here is a place you can get a refurbish one,
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Intake-Manifold-Single-Port-113-129-701K-p/113-129-701k.htm
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged/leaking single port heat risers Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Here is a place you can get a refurbish one,
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Intake-Manifold-Single-Port-113-129-701K-p/113-129-701k.htm
Thank you.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged/leaking single port heat risers Reply with quote

That part is NLA
preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged/leaking single port heat risers Reply with quote

Any concerns with aftermarket manifolds? I’ve finally found a few: Empi $47, IAP $73.99, and a few others I’m not certain of the brand for around $70-$75. Took a lot of digging. I’m surprised they aren’t more readily available.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged/leaking single port heat risers Reply with quote

Don't buy aftermarket. They're junk.

Search the Samba classifieds for an original VW made one. There have been sellers who clean out the heat risers and then sell them there.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged/leaking single port heat risers Reply with quote

Cleaning then is about the challenge. I had to drill holes in mine and used a masonry bit cables and all sorts of stuff. But it is cleaned and drilled holes patched.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged/leaking single port heat risers Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Cleaning then is about the challenge. I had to drill holes in mine and used a masonry bit cables and all sorts of stuff. But it is cleaned and drilled holes patched.

Same with my 1600cc DP manifold.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clogged/leaking single port heat risers Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

Many of the threads I’ve read here seem to say that if they’re fully clogged, like mine, it’s best to not bother. By the time you do you’ll put a hole in them because they maybe rusted inside and therefore weakened. Plus, don’t forget I mentioned that mine leak where the risers are inserted. What do I do about that?
preachermanNC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged/leaking single port heat risers Reply with quote

Alright, I drilled the holes and cleaned them out really good. Any specific product or process recommended for the patching up?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Clogged/leaking single port heat risers Reply with quote

On mine, I cut shorter some sheet metal screws, screwed them into the holes I made, then used torch and silver-soldered.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: