Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetCars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Reading lately on Type 4 engine and all the Pros and Cons.
They improved a lot of things compared to original Type 1 engine, aluminium case, beefer crank, better lubricating, better cooling.

I wonder now with the new aftermarket parts we have. For example Type 1 aluminum case, forged crank, full flowed case, external oil coolers, 8 dowel pins cranks..... would the Type 4 still be superior?

Or the type 4 is only superior Stock vs Stock?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Oh, no... Not this one again.. Rolling Eyes

What’s That Noise?!?
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699456

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SweetCars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Well thank you for the great info.

But what i was asking wasnt information on the type 4.
But with all the diferent technique and aftermarket parts available, not about HP but about reliability, the type 1 engine isnt equal reliable and string than the type 4?

External oil filter
Stronger crank
Aluminium case
Full flow

Arent those the corrections of the type 1 engine? Or even with those mods, the type 4 is greater?
SweetCars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Quote:

Just go on your way. Dont understand the meaning of your comment. Thats maybe the way you got over 4000 post for commenting stupidity. You should be strongly bored.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

SweetCars wrote:
Quote:

Just go on your way. Dont understand the meaning of your comment. Thats maybe the way you got over 4000 post for commenting stupidity. You should be strongly bored.

No, it's just that this topic has been covered before...and people can get heated.

H2OSB
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

He´s already hot Laughing Cool

Short version: Anything sub 2 liter isnt worth converting to type 4 for. Reason is that the cost involved is simply too high.
Harsh enviroment, a lot of high speed driving or high sustained loads say in a bus, YES then it can definitely be an advantage going type 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

In a T4

Crank still has no flexing issues

Valvetrain is still more stable

Heads still have more surface area

Pushrod alignment is still better

Crank/flywheel connection is stronger (argueable)

And they're not that expensive. They can be, but so can T1. A machinist could build a very strong T4 on a T1 budget.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Not to mention the life span. A well cared for T4 will triple the life of a stock, also well cared for T1

H2OSB
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Wow you guys sound like me, hmmmm, about in 1992, when it was just me vs the T-1 forces.

The time has come when the virtues of the T-4 engine are no longer in doubt.

Carry on!! Ha !
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

In most ways the type 4 would still be more reliable. If your sole goal is reliability, and money is not the biggest factor, its really a great choice(better).

This is the performance section of thesamba. So this still needs to be said:
Type 1 fun is with all the choices. A guy can hot rod a type 1 so easy and with low out of pocket. (The small block chevy of VW's)
1. 8 different crank sizes for 250 each
2. 5 different H beam rod sizes for under 250 a set
3. 50 different performance Head options from 5 different manufactures all under $1,000. How many Type 4 performance head options under $1k?
4. Straight cut gears, cams, intakes, rockers, valve covers to infinity.
5. If something does break, its super easy to take apart and relatively inexpensive to fix.

Then comes mechanical beauty...... once a type 4 is converted to go onto type 1, its pretty damn ugly. The wierd oil filler, exhaust morphing out the bottom of the heads Drool barf . Now if your into German look covered in carbon fiber trying to be a porsche then great.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

I couldn’t imagine trying to build a type IV for performance considering the relatively small market. Hell, even the far larger type 1 market is packed full of prima donnas.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Ahh! But... the type 4 engine comes stock with a good bit of performance already built in! We are already 1/2 way there before you guys have even started to hot rod yours! Wink
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
In most ways the type 4 would still be more reliable. If your sole goal is reliability, and money is not the biggest factor, its really a great choice(better).

This is the performance section of thesamba. So this still needs to be said:
Type 1 fun is with all the choices. A guy can hot rod a type 1 so easy and with low out of pocket. (The small block chevy of VW's)
1. 8 different crank sizes for 250 each
2. 5 different H beam rod sizes for under 250 a set
3. 50 different performance Head options from 5 different manufactures all under $1,000. How many Type 4 performance head options under $1k?
4. Straight cut gears, cams, intakes, rockers, valve covers to infinity.
5. If something does break, its super easy to take apart and relatively inexpensive to fix.

Then comes mechanical beauty...... once a type 4 is converted to go onto type 1, its pretty damn ugly. The wierd oil filler, exhaust morphing out the bottom of the heads Drool barf . Now if your into German look covered in carbon fiber trying to be a porsche then great.

I agree with most of this. I like the look of the T4 now. You gotta acquire the taste, like India Pale Ales.

There are zero options for good heads under $1000, unless you can machine everything yourself.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

[

Then comes mechanical beauty...... once a type 4 is converted to go onto type 1, its pretty damn ugly. The wierd oil filler, exhaust morphing out the bottom of the heads Drool barf . Now if your into German look covered in carbon fiber trying to be a porsche then great.[/quote]

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No ugly oil filler's here Very Happy Very Happy .
My take is horses for courses . if you have a bug/Ghia/Type3 are happy with stock to medium HP then the difference is not that great , reliability comes more down to the engine builder and tuner and how well the engine is serviced in it's life time .

If it's a heavy bus and is used as a daily driver in hotter climates then a type 4 wins because of the 30% bigger surface area of the heads and 94mm cylinders have bigger cooling fins . But again how well the engine is built and cooled plays a huge part in reliability and life span .
AA now make a bare casting of the 2lt Porsche 914 type 4 head just over $300USD .a stock head with 42mm 36mm valves flow around 180CFM at .500" , All depends on machining costs to get the heads fitted out . But I'm guessing in the State's that wouldn't be too much over the $1000 mark
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

The 2 pictures above show something that demonstrates a confidence in reliability over a duration of time. The AC compressor. Type 1's can do it, but its abit more realistic with a type 4.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

I don't know about ugly. Most guys like the Cali Style using stock T-1 36 hp fanhousings because they look stock. Evening in states that will not pass a car with a non stock engine. They cannot tell by just looking.

A big percentage of my manuals sold are to Europe you fail inspection if not stock.

Many of my customers are Porsche 356 and 912 owners saving the original engine for when and if they sell the car. No body cutting, in and out like stock.

They daily drive and can have more power then stock. Hard to kill a T-4 in a light car.

I see the only real difference is the Gen/ Alt stand if you look hard.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

I don't see anything ugly this photo. Cool Drool

02/76 Beetle sedan
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

Looks OK to me....

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine vs Upgraded Type 1 Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:

I don't see anything ugly this photo. Cool Drool

That's the coolest one I've seen! The ugly ass oil filler is not in the picture, and still needs to be added though. For $600 in cooling for a type 4 conversion that's pretty darn clean.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: