Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

You and me both, Tom! That is one of the last interior pieces I am flat-out MISSING.

Truth be told, I’m just glad it’s running well enough to concentrate on the interior after the engine tear-down and reassembly last month.

It was a joy seeing BigEmma on the road!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I even got a bumper sticker!

Washed the car for the first time in the central time zone.. Shocked

Saturday was a local meetup in appleton, Wisconsin, and I even took time to touch up my rims while I was camped at Kevin’s house in New London.

Before:

After:

Took a disproportionately long time to look up my mixing proportions from the Sherwin Williams Auto “Close Enough Tangarine Mist” to reducer.

But it was worth it to hang with good people, snug up some loose PDSIT idle solenoids, discover a vacuum leak on a vanagon, and find a faulty ‘79 Hall Effect sender plug. (Not necessarily in that order....)

All Roberts are “Bob’d“ at birth. This one drives his bus more than 500 miles a day on long trips. What a kindered spirit.

The Air-Schooled alumni crowd!

Illinois freeways need to chill the fuck out (and stop texting.)

Test drove AndreWTF’s bus Murphy tonight. It was quick and snappy, like always, but actually had an interior this time!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Washed the car for the first time in the central time zone.. Shocked

Car? What car? Hmmm

Eh? *looks for the car*

Maybe it is in front of Buddy, and Buddy is blocking the view of it? All I see is that handsome orange bus. Cool

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I have been looking for white door ducts for eight years. Finally found a good enough pair of black ducts to warrant the time and energy to convert them to the early deluxe style white ducts and restore the rest of the parts. (Fact: White door ducts are the key ingredients in making hen’s teeth.)

White? never seen white. Seen light tan plenty of times. Pretty sure that is what came in a Savannah Beige 68 deluxe.

But white matches your bus interior much better that tan.

Light grey and beige ducts. Photo stolen from the samba gallery.

Beige in a Savannah beige bus.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

Yep, between that light grey and tan is what my paint will fade to in a few months. To be honest I’d love the tan, but I dont think i could get it perfect after fade, so I want it to match the interior white paint instead of the upholstery. When I worked in the Unnamed-Plastic-Model-Shop, we used this exact primer and paint on ABS structures and it always faded and lost about a thousand degeees Kelvin (color temperature) in about a month. Since I drive with my doors shut, I’m giving it a few months longer before I tear them down and mix a lighter grey/tan paint. Cool

Hello from Illinois this morning, Indiana for work today, and Michigan tonight!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Yep, between that light grey and tan is what my paint will fade to in a few months. To be honest I’d love the tan, but I dont think i could get it perfect after fade, so I want it to match the interior white paint instead of the upholstery. When I worked in the Unnamed-Plastic-Model-Shop, we used this exact primer and paint on ABS structures and it always faded and lost about a thousand degeees Kelvin (color temperature) in about a month. Since I drive with my doors shut, I’m giving it a few months longer before I tear them down and mix a lighter grey/tan paint. Cool

Hello from Illinois this morning, Indiana for work today, and Michigan tonight!
Robbie

Sem Upholstery paint. Best there is. Have to get it at a autobody. Many colors.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Sem Upholstery paint. Best there is. Have to get it at a autobody. Many colors.

I’ve actually got a lot of that for my headliner this winter. It’s not bright white right now, but it will be soon. Cool

Btw, my uncle, who taught me a LOT about VWs when i was younger, did not know what my ball joint wear-caliper tool was. After ten years, and the student finally became the teacher. (And I apparently have .020” of play on my right upper ball joint... Shocked )

The parts in question are ABS plastic, which I worked with exclusively for a few years at an old job. I was the in-shop painter and got to do lots of rattle can side-by-side testing. This mix of brands and prep gives me predictable color results when exposed to UV rays over long periods of time. (Which is most of the summer in my bus...) I wanted to keep the paint “common” so I can walk into any Ace Or True Value hardware in middle America and get touch up cans. And I can Smile

Robbie
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

Illinois was a hoot, and too short.

We had a few good sunsets:

…And then I was parked in bumper-to-bumper traffic at a toll plaza for the next 15 minutes… Missed the final sunset…

I DID visit BigEmma and MurphyBus in Urbana! See?

Ok, so Murphy isn't in there, but I promise he shifts better and sounds MUCH better after a little CLA of the valve adjusters and shifter mechanism!

Had to wash the windscreen on this random ramp, after a few too many bugs and butterflies…

And had a nice sunset into Indiana last night… Michigan today! (Camping at 70crew's house in the rain right now. That makes 4 of the last 5 visits in the rain for me, since 2016!)

Robbie

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

Lost my left front turn signal operation somewhere in the midwest. Found out why at 70crew's house…

(EDIT) I just realized that my phone picture doesn't show the broken wire at all. Black w/grey tracer was broken. I pulled some slack out of the sheath and resoldered it.)

My soldering iron repeatedly threw the inverter for a loop, so I had to run my extension cord to the kitchen… Barely made it!

I now have all four turn signals that cancel on their own. Full disclosure, I did not have the heart to tackle this repair until 70crew lent me a BRAND NEW switch as a backup. (It will be in the mail back on Friday!)

Michigan continued to deliver the express lane to ball joint wear…

Why are the interstates so shitty to drive on, while the local state highways seem to be doing fine? Detroit is kicking the federal government's ass at maintenance. And that's saying something……

Brews and jams at Spike01800's house were totally worth the drive. I even got to meet WheeliePete, from the Split Bus forum, who takes giant road trips too.

Painted and traded some dash ducts away before I even spent 24 hours with them…

Visited my favorite watering holes in Detroit, the Jolly Pumpkin! Not as impressed as with Griffin Claw's offerings, but they were still tasty.

Got to fill up at a brand new Loves! No greasy fingerprints or gum on the ground here, just pristine new pumps and soda fountains!

Visited my wardrobe/merch wizard in Pittsburg and took no photos, but we went to an excellent concert so there. Camped here for the night, not 45 minutes out of Pittsburgh.

And now I'm camped here. Amongst mostly empty beer cans and occasional trees. Only losers litter.

Empties picked up, bed is made, laundry is done, and I'm eating dinner watching the sun set over a corn field tonight. Not bad.

Robbie
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

It was good seeing you again Robbie. Wish we had more time to jam and drink, but family calls sometimes. Thanks for being willing to help. Pete is a good guy and I'm glad you guys had some time together. More reasons to come back and visit Detroit.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

[quote="SGKent"]
asiab3 wrote:
... it always faded and lost about a thousand Kelvin (color temperature) in about a month.

FTFY. (Fun units fact: Kelvin does not use degrees.)

"Ah, a lovely summer day, today. It's about 300 Kelvin."

(Which is about 80 degrees F, or 27 degrees C).

asiab3 wrote:
Why are the interstates so shitty to drive on, while the local state highways seem to be doing fine?

Because our Federal gummint is sending all the money to the military, and the rich in tax breaks, and there's nothing left to maintain the infrastructure in this country.

Source: I am a civil engineer.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

I'll see you next year Gabe!

jtauxe, the interstates sucked in Michigan and were fantastic in Pennsylvania! New York is not impressing me so far.

I'm sorry for the Kelvin discrepency, this isn't the first time I've been corrected on it… My family is in the movie lighting biz, and our dinnertime conversation routinely involves phrases like "that new sconce is 200-degrees too warm." So you are totally correct, but I'm probably going to let it slip again. Wink

--

I have not needed to add oil in 2,487 miles. I HIGHLY recommend having all your piston rings intact!

In fact, the car has enjoyed more "maintenance" in the last two weeks than it has since the engine went in last February. I forgot how clean I can get my rear glass if I Windex the INSIDE!

Ahhhh, that's better!

We've camped in some great scenery, but I've found trash EVERYWHERE on almost every dirt road I've travelled. Only losers litter.

Which one would you pick?

I would pick the 1971 Karmann Ghia Auto-Stick Convertible in the corner, just out of frame. It was the first car in my career that, when tuned correctly, was still slower than Buddy!

Found another dirt road, and followed it until it became a grass road.

Had a video chat session that made my back seat look like a damn Apple commercial! (What chiropractor designed the early Westy rear seat back angle?)

Cooled off here with only two mosquito bites:

And took this for proof of the actual sunset color…

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

Please stop posting beautiful pictures of east coast sunsets. We right coasters wouldnt want any of you left coasters to know whats available over here. The litter you keep finding is meant to be a deterrent. Safe travels.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

Just tell them it goes below 68F in winter sometimes, and they scurry away back to guacamole on everything land...

Drive safe Robbie
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

Ok, I guess I am getting addled in my later years, but I do think guacamole on everything sounds better than being stuck in frozen whiteness 3-6 months of the year.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

I hate winter as much as the next guy, but having winter is the only way to really and truly enjoy a beautiful Spring day. How do you guys handle the same weather, every day all year long?

Enjoy New England!

Hobo

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:
I hate winter as much as the next guy, but having winter is the only way to really and truly enjoy a beautiful Spring day. How do you guys handle the same weather, every day all year long?

Enjoy New England!

Hobo

With guacamole on everything.

Looks like magic Robbie, sending good vibes brotha.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:

Enjoy New England!

Hobo

Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing

I never truly appreciated the rich, aromatic, Carmel, buttery tones followed by the crisp saltiness and melt in your mouth delicate flavor of a Salteen till I was stuck on a deserted island for 18 months.

And then, to put guacamole on it! Shocked

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

Ok, ok, Spring is apparently too deep for the Samba. Rolling Eyes Laughing
I'm still a new guy, I didn't know. Wink

Let's get back to Robbie's reports. Razz

Hobo

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:
Ok, ok, Spring is apparently too deep for the Samba. Rolling Eyes Laughing
I'm still a new guy, I didn't know. Wink

Let's get back to Robbie's reports. Razz

Hobo

Hey no problemo dude. That was like meant more for, um Steve than you bro.

See you when you get back Robbie! Notchboy saying sayonara from natcho land brah.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled 2019 Tour Thread Reply with quote

I had a great day working with Robbie in Rochester, NY. It was the first time we've worked together and I thoroughly enjoyed the day.

We started with some electric bass work:

I am a professional bassist and Robbie (as you may know) is also a successful musician. We spent the first portion of our day working on ideas and concepts about playing bass. Robbie is a quick study and made great progress on his skills as a bassist.

Eventually we moved to the garage and began our bus work. The first issue was dealing with the bucking and stumbling caused by my single Weber carb. We opened things up and cleaned the jets and emultion tubes. We also reset the float level - which was way off (thanks to my miscalculation). We got everything buttoned up and then turned our attention to the ignition system.

It soon became apparent that the components of my distributer (points, condenser) were not working correctly. We swapped out the distributer for a spare one Robbie had with him. We took a drive and the engine ran magnificently.

Robbie helped me appreciated the attributes of my 1970 1.7 engine that started its life in a Porchse 914.

We had some lunch and then dove into what I'm told is the messiest task in all of Volkswagen-dom: Replacing the CV joint boots. Here's Robbie and I knee deep in CV joint grease:

Upon recommendation, I used these:

Here's to hoping they will last.

I was glad to see that at least one pair of the joints were original to the bus from September of 1973:

We then readdressed the issues with my distributer and eventually came to the conclusion that the components in mine are junk. Robbie kindly let me borrow one of his spares to keep me up and running as I work to correct the issues with mine. I'll be tracking down a quality set of points and condenser from NAPA. Also, mine is missing the copper ground wire so I will need to address this as well.

Here's Robbie getting packed up and ready for his next appointment:

And it was nice to see both our busses parked in the driveway.

This was a great day and my bus is now operating and running much better.

Thanks Robbie! Looking forward to the next one.

Jeff

Last edited by Whaanga on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: