Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 alternator
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

Hey, curious if anyone knows what size and threads the bolt is for the bracket to keep the alternator belt tight. My belt keeps becoming loose and I have tracked it down to that bolt not staying tight. I think the po used a different bolt and it’s wrong. The bolt with thread in but doesn’t stay tight. I think the hole might need a tap but wanna know correct size before going that route.
Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

metric M8 x 1.25
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

Ok so something is jacked with the hole then cause it will thread some way in then not tighten. Do you know the length also?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

Are you using a lock washer & a flat washer?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As for length, I know that mine does not quite come thru to the other side:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

Mines different it’s down hidden behind the duct vents and goes into the block. Any type of washer the bolt doesn’t tighten I think the hole is kinda stripped, might need find a tap.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

If you threads are stripped, put a longer bolt through, a locknut and washer on the other side.

Pretty basic...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

Air Cooled, right?
Is the picture of the adjustment on the WBX engine Alternator shown here in the thread like yours, or not?
( I don’t own an Air Cooled, and my Bentley Manual isn’t handy right now)... Embarassed
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

https://images.app.goo.gl/bcQnAwjYE7EAdaEZ9
Okay, googled and linked, looks like the adjustment bolt tightens into the engine itself on the Type 4 Air Cooled set-up? Am I reading that right?
#8 bolt in the Air Cooled Alternator Diagram?
Could need a Timesert Bushing or Helicoil Repair if the hole in the the engine and is a blind hole at that.
I’m sure a ‘seasoned ‘ Air Cooled owner will chime in soon.... Very Happy
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

That part pictured is the blower shroud and is separate from the engine case. But the diagram does show the adjustment bolt threading into the shroud. The shroud is cast aluminum and yes a timesert would be the way to repair the threads.

Be sure once you tension the belt that you tighten the pivot bolt too. Time to remove the alternator and start exploring what you can do.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
That part pictured is the blower shroud and is separate from the engine case. But the diagram does show the adjustment bolt threading into the shroud. The shroud is cast aluminum and yes a timesert would be the way to repair the threads.

Be sure once you tension the belt that you tighten the pivot bolt too. Time to remove the alternator and start exploring what you can do.

Thanks Mark..... Applause
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

Yes aircooled blond hole into the block. That’s my fear is how deep does it go before I damage something else. Plus now that I found idea on right size maybe I’ll run a tap in, see if I clean threads up maybe it’ll get tight. I’ve tried shorter bolts, washers it doesn’t seem to get tight or hold.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

Jd56 wrote:
Yes aircooled blond hole into the block. That’s my fear is how deep does it go before I damage something else. Plus now that I found idea on right size maybe I’ll run a tap in, see if I clean threads up maybe it’ll get tight. I’ve tried shorter bolts, washers it doesn’t seem to get tight or hold.

Did you understand my above post? It’s not the block.
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

I forgot didn’t notice. So it threads into the shroud what would happen if you drill to far into it?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

It’s hollow for the most part. I can’t see that you’d damage anything worse than it is.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 alternator Reply with quote

Take a strong , tight / narrow beam flashlight and mirror and look as far down the hole as you can see. If the metal is gone with regards to remaining threads, you’re probably done and time for repair.
If you see lots of threads, try the tap route
Using the tap or a re-threading tap( these often have hex drive on them so they are easier to work with a wrench or socket in a tight space), feel the resistance AND how much wobble the tap shows coming out of the hole.
If it feels really loose and you can move the tap up and down a fair amount, you aren’t going to be happy- too much loss has occurred.

Use the longest bolt that will safely get the job done since threads closer to the surface of the part you’re bolting into will be normally the most worn out.
That’s why a shorter bolt doesn’t usually work with worn threads.
If you gain nothing with rethreading and a new bolt..... time for a thread repair

Here is a common rethreading tap, they’re short, wont reach that deep into a hole due to the hex drive on the end, unlike a regular tap, but, easier to work with using ordinary mechanic tools since the hex drive is normally 7/16” or 1/2” and everyone has a socket or wrench in that size
https://www.google.com/search?q=rethreading+tap&am...GiC5AfppJM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: