Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 / 912 oil filter canister colors
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: 356 / 912 oil filter canister colors Reply with quote

i got this 356 / 912 oil filter canister i am trying to restore,
how to tell what i got and what color(s) it should be

i have been told
Mann - top bolt is 10mm
FRAM - top bolt is 12mm
H - top bolt is 16mm
do you agree?

this unit has a 16mm top bolt, so maybe it is an H but the bottom, where it necks down, does not look like any pics i can find of H canisters,,,

also color
H are either all silver, some with black tops
FRAM - orange with black tops
Mann - green

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the body of this appears to be black
the top - looks to be originally orange, repainted black, you can see orange overspray inside the top and if you look close, some orange comes through the black on top

so, what the heck do i got? did anyone else make these? got any pics with an orange top?
thanks
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 / 912 oil filter canister colors Reply with quote

i just double checked, the top bolt is 17mm, not 16, so what is that?

also, i have another oil filler, that bolt is 22mm,,,,,
any ideas?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 / 912 oil filter canister colors Reply with quote

I'll say paint it whatever color you'll like to look at when you open the deck lid ...ive seen many folks paint them in different colors and look great maybe not 100% "original" to what came out from the factory but still looked good ....but that's me talking and what I would do ....
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 356 / 912 oil filter canister colors Reply with quote

i hear yeh brother, and normally i would agree, "black chrome" anyone? but in this case, i was trying to keep it stock.
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 356 / 912 oil filter canister colors Reply with quote

i did one just like it its a mann black top green body
u have the lid bolt in stock i believe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 356 / 912 oil filter canister colors Reply with quote

YES, I have several in stock, 2 are FRAM with the big wingnut, the rest have bolt tops, most are 22mm, which i cannot find reference too, all came from a guy that horded 356 stuff for decades.
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 / 912 oil filter canister colors Reply with quote

The problem with the filter cans is that many versions were employed on many makes, for many years, on both sides of the pond.

If the bolt is metric, the most you can say is that it is probably European; beyond that, it's just guessing.

My thought is; if you like it, paint it however tickles your fancy and use it. If a concours judge complains, tell 'em it came off an early obscure prototype.

S.J.Szabo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: