Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
OP, whatchagonnado about the bed?

A friend of mine sprays bedliner, so I decided with the corrugated metal that’s the bed to have it shot with black liner. Gates will be proper color of the truck. Bedliner is extremely durable and has a nice thickness to it, I decided I’d like the extra protection on the metal as the truck is going to be used.
It’s also noted that though the bed will have liner sprayed, I can still add the wood slays on the decking down the road if I wish.

The PO of my SC used bedliner sprayed on, and I would try to talk you out of it.

The bedliner caused rust to form under it, and I am having to strip it all off with aircraft paint stripper, which is nasty.

It looked nice for awhile, but later it is chipping off with rust underneath... I need to get a photo of the current condition to show you. It's awful.

On the double cab, the bed was cleaned off, the holes were all welded up, and it was painted. This is the path to go.

The DC now has slats attached to the bed (over the paint) with some amazing 3-M transparent body tape.

The SC will get the same treatment after I get all the horrible bed liner out.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
OP, whatchagonnado about the bed?

A friend of mine sprays bedliner, so I decided with the corrugated metal that’s the bed to have it shot with black liner. Gates will be proper color of the truck. Bedliner is extremely durable and has a nice thickness to it, I decided I’d like the extra protection on the metal as the truck is going to be used.
It’s also noted that though the bed will have liner sprayed, I can still add the wood slays on the decking down the road if I wish.

The PO of my SC used bedliner sprayed on, and I would try to talk you out of it.

The bedliner caused rust to form under it, and I am having to strip it all off with aircraft paint stripper, which is nasty.

It looked nice for awhile, but later it is chipping off with rust underneath... I need to get a photo of the current condition to show you. It's awful.

On the double cab, the bed was cleaned off, the holes were all welded up, and it was painted. This is the path to go.

The DC now has slats attached to the bed (over the paint) with some amazing 3-M transparent body tape.

The SC will get the same treatment after I get all the horrible bed liner out.

While I would normally agree, lumping all bedliners/ undercoats into one isn't necessarily accurate. Of course the shit you buy in a can at autozone will not last. I would recommend Upol Raptor, and color match it to your bus. It's pretty inexpensive, and looks nice. You can change the texture as well, depending on if you spray it out of a shutz gun, or reduce it and spray out of a regular gun with a large tip. It gets catalyzed, and is hard as a rock.

Here's a bus I did with Upol Raptor on the bottom. Blasted, sealed up with epoxy, then Savannah Beige color matched Raptor.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight guys. The shop my friend owns, they do all of the spray in bedliners for the new GMC dealerships here in central Arkansas. The product they use is called Qwikliner, which from all of the years they have sprayed bed liners, there has been one come back when the guy mentioned after the peeling that he hauled around paint equipment and had split lacquer thinner and such used to clean the equipment numerous times in the bed. A lack of prep not knowing of the chemical aspect led to the mishaps, so I fairly impressed with the product. It’s relatively easy to spray, comes as a two-part epoxy style product, which when finished and hardened isn't too chunky or rough, which will still allow for me and the lady to use the bed as couch to watch the stars and films at the drive-in theater.

It isn’t stock, which if anyone knows me, I prefer the stock aesthetics and function, but for the bed, it just seemed the best solution.

As for prepping the bed to be sprayed I will be wiring wheeling the hell out of it to remove any rust, but mostly to make the surface uniform that way we have a nice level platform prior to spraying. Remember the back of the cab and the interior portion of the gates are going to be factory Pastel White, so we’ll only have the bed covered in black.

I also plan on (when funds are available) to order a Tilt and Canvas from the guys at NLA VW, as that will really be the ace in the hole as far as getting the truck ready for business. All in time, and all when I have enough Washington’s to make a move.

Hope everyone is having a kickass summer, I’m one worn out dude down here Laughing

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Its gona look sick. Twisted Evil Just like that undercoat on that split VWsArent4Hippies posted.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Its gona look sick. Twisted Evil Just like that undercoat on that split VWsArent4Hippies posted.

‘70 Deluxe!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Its gona look sick. Twisted Evil Just like that undercoat on that ‘70 Deluxe split VWsArent4Hippies posted.

‘70 Deluxe!

Fixed Laughing Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

You are right that preparation and application, as well as product quality, all make a difference when it comes to bedliner (like paint).

Here's the condition of the OP's application on my '75 SC. This is about 6 years old. The rest of his paint job is in similar shape, so he is rather implicated in this.

I spend too much time maintaining Gutter Seal in the holes. Razz

I strongly recommend welding all the rivet holes closed and properly resealing all the seams.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Thank you, John.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Just pulled the trigger on wheel setup. Going to be running 15" black stock steelies with General Grabber 205/75/R15 AT2's. It's going to be looking good, if I can ever finish this paint and body work!

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Here are a few shots of the bus before I started block sanding this morning.

All these paint prep just shows where I need to really practice my metal working skills, but I have and will continue to learn so much working on these things.

Cooling off, though it's actually pretty mild here today, so being so I'm going to take advantage of the cooler temps and humidity this afternoon. Blocked all I could, blew everything off the bus, cleaned out the paint booth area, and am going to wipe everything down before wheeling the bus back in to shoot another couple coats of high build.

Let that dry overnight, block in the morning, and would you believe it? I'm on pace to be shooting some L87 Monday morning.

Really excited, but first more primer and sanding Laughing

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Well boys, the bus got paint this morning.
Pearl White to be exact. VW Paint Code: L 87

Also received the 15” steelies this morning, got those mounted up on the new tires. It’s nice to have some thread under the bus.
Anything beats those yellow beetle wheels that was there previously.

Pretty pumped. She’s getting there.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

MMMmmmmMMMMmmmmMMMmmmm gotta love the smell of fresh paint in the morning! looks nice
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

That is looking great. You are going to love that truck!

It's great to compare that to the pix in the first post:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
That is looking great. You are going to love that truck!

It's great to compare that to the pix in the first post:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Looks a little different since picking it up, that's a good thing. I think?! Laughing
I'm enjoying the journey, it's exciting seeing it come together.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Outstanding!

Coming right along. Man, that’s a real improvement for sure.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Plugging away down here.
Piecing back items to the truck:
- headlights
- turn signals
- back up lights
- tail lights
- heater cables
- clutch cable
- accelator cable and components

Finished wiring up
- lights
- brake light switches
- Ignition wiring (waiting on assembly, thank you Skills)
- dash components

Oh, and I installed the engine and got that jazz hooked back up.

I’m having to reweld on of the front bumper brackets, so that’s holding off the front end.

All in all, it’s coming along. I finished blasting the doors and gates so it’s time to clean, prime, and paint the last bits of the truck.

Work work work.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Got the engine dialed in for the most part, she likes to idle at 1k, a bit high but I’m cool with it for now.

Solved my turn signal issue, the WW 9 Pin relay has to be grounded (as the original). Without the relay being screwed to the body, nothing. With this corrected, I now have all the lights working in the dash. Yeah, even seemingly the fuel gauge.

I’m a bit confused on the brake light woes, lights come on, but not the brakes themselves. Originally 68 had the 3 (2-prong) brake light switches in the master cylinder. I’ve replaced it with a 2 switch, (3-prong) setup. No lights. You’d think I’d look over the next couple of year models, to see if I can figure out the wiring. (Literally just came to mind typing this all).

It’s been brutally hot here. Talking 100°, all humidity. So tomorrow morning is crazy early start to shoot primer onto the doors and gates, rear hatch, and apron.

Skills! Got the ignition in this afternoon, thank you sir. Though I’ve discovered out of all 3 ignitions I have NONE have the tiny grub screw that holds the electrical switch in...think, think, think.

Rear right wheel cylinder keeps leaking, the bottom adjusters (stars) keep walking back into the housings. The spring tabs are worn out, and aren’t holding the stars tight, so I had to pull the trigger on a new backing plate, and for safe measure, a new wheel cylinder.

It’s getting down to the wire, I have 10 days before showtime. It’s almost like one of the shows on tv, except it’s me, no crew or cameras, a lot of determination and an anxiety/excitement to reveal all my hard work.

I love you guys. Life’s been tough down here lately, thank you for the kind words and encouragement. Shooting for the moon brothas

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Wooo...., this is getting exciting! Fingers crossed for you Wink

Try the 71 wiring diagram for the 3 prong brake switches, the 68 3 switch version uses some different circuitry as you already figured out.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I had good luck at Ace Hardware for the ignition switch grub screws. Have no idea if that suggestion will work for you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 22

Jump to: