Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New build won’t idle; have to pump the throttle...
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: New build won’t idle; have to pump the throttle... Reply with quote

I just bought a ‘72 in mid-restoration. It has body work and new paint, some interior work and a rebuilt longblock (which was put in the car, but never run). The previous owner tells me the it is 1976cc (although I know that’s wrong), but has no paperwork and can’t remember any other details including where he got it (I’ve contacted a few engine builders with no luck). The engine block is an AH code, so I think it was a ‘73 - ‘74 1800cc.

I finished off the engine including reconnected the electrical, tore down and cleaned the EMPI 40 HPMX carbs, replace the electronic ignition distributor with a Bosch mechanical advance, installed a fuel pressure regulator and cleaned out the fuel system (including new tank).

Even after doing all that, I can’t get it to stay running. It will fire (and cough and pop), but only when I keep pumping the throttle... actually pump the throttle, not just hold it open. Seems like a carb issue to me, but not sure what else to do. I know there’s a lot to consider to get it to run wall (carb size vs. engine size, jetting, timing, etc.), but can’t even get it to idle to check and make adjustments.

I’ve searched the forum and found some great info, but nothing specific to this issue (please point me in the right direction if I missed it). So, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New build won’t idle; have to pump the throttle... Reply with quote

Compression
Fuel
Spark

You need all three at the correct time and in correct quantities.

So.......
Do you have compression on all four cylinders?
Is the compression fairly equal ?

Do you have fuel to the carb?
A nice stream out of the hose?
Take off the air filter, operate the throttle lever and look in the top of the carb, is there a squirt of fuel?

Do you have spark?
Check it at the coil to distributor cap, yes?
Check it at the distributor cap to tge plug wire, yes?
Check it at the plug wire to plug, yes?
Is the firing order correct? 1432 yes?
Is #1 wire placed where the rotor points when the crank is top dead center #1 compression stroke? (Crank rotates twice per combustion cycle)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New build won’t idle; have to pump the throttle... Reply with quote

Well if pumping keeps it running, albeit badly, could be idle circuit blocked or vacuum ports not plugged or really bad intake leaks and probably a few other things I’m forgetting. Maybe timing too.
The accelerator pumpers are working and there is fuel and spark as evidenced by the symptoms. Which is good.

As always, triple check your valve lash and get the fuel filter out of the engine compartment.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New build won’t idle; have to pump the throttle... Reply with quote

Thanks!! I'm pretty sure I gave gas and spark, but I'll start working down the list starting with eliminating potential for intake leaks. I took off the carbs, and thus the intake manifolds, several times, so the gaskets may not be doing their job any more. The carbs are new and I tore them apart to clean, so don't think it's a clogged jet, but I'll check.

j
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New build won’t idle; have to pump the throttle... Reply with quote

It should idle nicely with dual carbs! Must need to clean them.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New build won’t idle; have to pump the throttle... Reply with quote

Same problem with my Ghia when I purchased it. It had a bad vacuum leak. After that was resolved, and a quick tune up, she purred like a kitten. Also had bad gas. My mechanic put some octane booster in the tank. I emptied it out and burned it in the lawn mower.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New build won’t idle; have to pump the throttle... Reply with quote

TonkaJim wrote:
The previous owner tells me the it is 1976cc (although I know that’s wrong), but has no paperwork and can’t remember any other details including where he got it (I’ve contacted a few engine builders with no luck). The engine block is an AH code, so I think it was a ‘73 - ‘74 1800cc.

I don't know how you'd get a 1976cc. The closest I think you could do is a 1967cc which is a 92mm bore x 72mm stroke.

73-74 would've been 1600cc from the factory.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonkaJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: New build won’t idle; have to pump the throttle... Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I got it idling and even went around the block a few times. I think it was a combination of valves (they were out of adjustment), timing (was close, but not quite right) and some trouble with the 3/4 cylinders... which is still an issue, but I will post that in another thread.

j
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: