Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

This has turned into a bit of a cluster. As background, this started over a year ago when shifting became sticky. Parked the bus for awhile then finally determined that my weird urethane front transmission mount had crushed. Pic of original mount here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a 1965 with 1500.

I set out to perform the tranny mount shuffle, with no final success. I got the transmission pulled back and the new front mount on, but somehow crushed the rear urethane transmission mounts in the process. Life then intervened and personal problems kept me from being able to work on the bus for 4 months or so, until last week when I tried to figure out what was going on.

From what I can tell, and hopefully someone here can decipher my pictures, the transmission and engine have shifted back, and the bolts from the old rear mounts are now hung up, preventing me from being able to get to the lower rear engine mounts. Consequently, I can't remove the engine.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next here and hoping for some insight. Here are some pics from the current situation. Let me know if other pics at different/specific angles or locations would be helpful. Bus is currently back on wheels, on the ground, with engine resting on an ATV jack.

Any help on what my sequence of tasks is to get this all put back together? Thanks!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

Jack the engine up just enough to get the rear mount chunky remains to clear the transaxle cradle, then slide all forward.

Use a beefy screwdriver and/or crowbar to work the transaxle around to get it unstuck.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

@Eric&Barb - I'll give this a shot again, but last I tried, when I jack the engine up, everything seems to go up with it, meaning even the frame of the bus. Perhaps I just didn't crank high enough?
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

At this point you going to have to separate the motor from the trans and replace those two motor mounts. They bolt inside the bell housing. With the motor loos from the trans you may have better luck trying to line up the front transmission mount. Transmission is easier to move without the engine weight on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

No you just need to work the transaxle around. Just added more info to the previous post about that.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

Be best if you can get a helper to work the floor jack while you are under to see where you need to work/shift the body of the transaxle before just jamming it so that it lifts the VW.
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Jack the engine up just enough to get the rear mount chunky remains to clear the transaxle cradle, then slide all forward.

Use a beefy screwdriver and/or crowbar to work the transaxle around to get it unstuck.

OK, have been hesitant to use too much force. So do wheels need to be on ground, on ramp, or jacked up to best accomplish?
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

ctroutma wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

OK, have been hesitant to use too much force. So do wheels need to be on ground, on ramp, or jacked up to best accomplish?

Im with EmpiGT. I just did this on a 65 Beetle and 63 beetle. Yes I know its not a bus but its pretty close. Its a lot easier with the engine out. And if you cant get the trans back far enough you will have to unbolt the axle from the spring plates. Since its a bus, Id stick to it being on the ground. Its a little nerve racking under a vehicle on jackstands when prying something back like a transmission.

While its out it would be good to give everything a good look over. And see where that oil is coming from thats all over the trans.
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

Quote:
Im with EmpiGT. I just did this on a 65 Beetle and 63 beetle. Yes I know its not a bus but its pretty close. Its a lot easier with the engine out.

That's the problem I'm having though, I can't get to the lower engine bolts because of where the trans is sitting.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

Can you not get a 17mm socket with a wobble extension to the lower 2 nuts?
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Can you not get a 17mm socket with a wobble extension to the lower 2 nuts?

Have not been able to. I think the crushed urethane may be in the way, but also have not tried a wobble extension and will give that a shot.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

ctroutma wrote:

Safest and easier if you can do the work with the bus on the ground. If you can not fit under the bus, then you are going to have to sort out to use ramps or some type of material like small lengths of 2x6s or 2x8s under the tires to get you enough room.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

Since the rear mounts are no longer intact just remove the two large bolts and remove the transmission carrier (engine/trans supported) to get at the 17mm engine bolts.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Since the rear mounts are no longer intact just remove the two large bolts and remove the transmission carrier (engine/trans supported) to get at the 17mm engine bolts.

Was wondering about this. Anyone know if any of the manuals have a good diagram of how this fits together? I flipped through Idiot's and Bentley but couldn't get a good handle. Planning on attacking again this weekend.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: In over my head with Transmission Mount Problems Reply with quote

The two large bolts are on the bottom of the trans carrier. One about the 5 o clock position and the other roughly in the 7 o clock position.

The large bolts (36MM I believe) bolt the carrier to the frame horns. Once you get them out your carrier should fall right off considering the trans mounts look like they pulled out of the carrier. Make damn sure you have the engine supported under something nice and sturdy just in case the engine wants to tilt down and bring the trans up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: