Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Keep the updates coming.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Started working on radiator v2.0 last night. Modified the mounts, and started removing the filler neck. Need to finish that, relocate the in/out pipes, and then weld it all back up. Hopefully I can get it mounted this weekend.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This core is ~25% larger than my current radiator, but more importantly has a different tube size and core arrangement. I've got some theories as to what sort of changes this might make, but we'll see what it actually does once I get it mounted. Should go basically right in the same spot as the current radiator.

In an ideal world I'd like to get rid of my current air scoop all together. There are folks here (including Skills) who appear to be having success without one. Right now my current setup is pretty dependent on it. Anxious to see what sort of changes I might see with this new radiator (if any, fingers crossed LOL)

Well.... radiator v2.0 turned out to be a flop. Not performance wise, rather mounting wise.

I had some idea of how I wanted to mount it when I bought it based on its core and tank dimensions, but when I finally got around to dropping my current radiator to try and fit this one up, I ran into quite a few snags. When I got it into a position where I thought I could get fans packaged and get good air supply to it, it hung down below the frame far too much for my taste (which I realize is VERY picky). It was protruding below the frame ~3-4", but the size and shape of the radiator tanks REALLY stood out. Totally killed it for me. When I got it tucked up where I liked it visually, it was far to close to the floor to be able to squeeze any real sized decent fan, or get air ducted to it.

So I'm sort of at a conundrum... Where I sit now, my current radiator has worked pretty well in its latest configuration/positioning scheme. My ONLY real issue is when cruising at 75-80mph on a hot summer day (mid to upper 90's temps), coolant temps after driving for a while will eventually creep up to the factory 202F fan threshold. That in itself isn't so much an issue, but at speed when my current fans kick on, they don't do much. Not sure if they are too small, or they are fighting turbulent air. As soon as I slow down, temps come right back down quickly. I think its a combination of both.

So I'm forming my next plan. I REALLY like how my current radiator packages. The way I have it mounted keeps the radiator itself pretty well tucked and out of sight. That is something that is VERY important to me. To some extent I'll tolerate a little extra fan cycling if I can get it in a better position visually. When doing some more digging, it turns out the company I bought my current radiator from makes the exact same radiator with a longer core which would increase my core size by ~25% over what I have now. I think this would certainly be helpful, as my current core is a bit on the smaller side compared to some others I've seen folks post about here. Another advantage to the larger core is that I can then bump up from my current 11" fans to larger 13" fans, in which I can get double the CFM ratings from Spal in. Plus, I can reuse all my current mounting hardware which I like. I think this is going to be my next move. Still kicking around all the details before I pull the trigger.

I'll keep everyone posted as I move forward. Beyond this, I've just been driving the wheels off the thing Cool

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

my radiator hangs down about 1.5-1.75" below the frame. still, the oil pan and front beam are still the lowest points.

if you hate the look, rattle can the tanks black or whatever color and make them 'disappear'

hottest I have ever gotten is 203-205* which is well below the Subaru cooling strategy. I had a 90-93* day when I was heading to a show and hammered down for about an hour at 75-80.

spal is $$$$ but they make nice shit.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Stoked you find the energy and will power to keep refining your radiator setup and I always look forward seeing a post by you Vdub.

BTW Skills because of you man I successfully finished my Subaru conversion over a year ago with youR knowledge and input. I took what you said and ran with it and I can say I'm very pleased with the results.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

^^^

glad to help. what was your total cost? I tell people DIY is in the 5-7k range with a trans and used engine.... cheaper if you do nothing to the engine and just install it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
my radiator hangs down about 1.5-1.75" below the frame. still, the oil pan and front beam are still the lowest points.

if you hate the look, rattle can the tanks black or whatever color and make them 'disappear'

hottest I have ever gotten is 203-205* which is well below the Subaru cooling strategy. I had a 90-93* day when I was heading to a show and hammered down for about an hour at 75-80.

spal is $$$$ but they make nice shit.

My current radiator hangs down about the same as yours then, maybe a touch less. But also the portion of my current radiator that hangs down is further in towards the center of the vehicle, not right out by the frame rail itself, which also helps it stay hidden from line of sight unless you get completely down at ground level and look across the bottom. My scoop is obviously more visible than that, but being black ABS plastic, it does tend to disappear like you suggested with paint. I'm a big stickler on the aesthetics side (which I know you are too). Purely personal thing, but if I see too much hanging down below, it just kills it for me.

My highest observed temps are really about the same as what you are stating. Same sort of conditions too (75-80mph for an extended length of time). I might be getting to it a little faster perhaps, hard to say. The big issue for me is that at speed, my current fans don't do much when they kick on. I'm using some slim line 11" Spal fans currently, which I think are just not up to the task. Found some information online last night that suggested that the slim fans were intended for auxiliary cooling, or for AC/intercoolers. They are apparently the lowest hp fans Spal offers. Embarassed I bought them originally because of how thin they were, as that was all I could get in there when I first had the radiator tucked all the way up in the frame. Live and learn.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Convoy wrote:
Stoked you find the energy and will power to keep refining your radiator setup and I always look forward seeing a post by you Vdub.

BTW Skills because of you man I successfully finished my Subaru conversion over a year ago with youR knowledge and input. I took what you said and ran with it and I can say I'm very pleased with the results.

Thanks for the comments! It certainly is a lot of energy to keep working at it, but I do enjoy the challenge. I just wish the cost of changes wasn't so high with the cooling system parts, but I feel like I'm honing in on my final solution. Got all the pieces for the latest revision on the way now. I should have more updates after this weekend.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

^^^

glad to help. what was your total cost? I tell people DIY is in the 5-7k range with a trans and used engine.... cheaper if you do nothing to the engine and just install it

Not to derail but generally add to this thread of DIY subaru conversions, all said and done utilizing manufactured parts from RJES, Rocky Mountain Westy, Outfront Motorsports, AutoVentures LLC, Benco, Cooling Components, a great donor engine, and being meticulous to detail throughout the entire build I'm close to 8-9K. My man hours are too much to count on top of that.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Convoy wrote:
^^^

Not to derail but generally add to this thread of DIY subaru conversions, all said and done utilizing manufactured parts from RJES, Rocky Mountain Westy, Outfront Motorsports, AutoVentures LLC, Benco, Cooling Components, a great donor engine, and being meticulous to detail throughout the entire build I'm close to 8-9K. My man hours are too much to count on top of that.

No derail.. all good info. My trans was essentially free since I flipped a Bus in the process and swapped my stock trans for its re-geared 091. For the engine side, I bought a few things (engine hanger, oil pan, TB reverser, and header), but DIY'ed everything else. I did however do the new short block thing, so my engine swap all in was ~8.5k (not counting the duplicate cooling system parts I've purchased honing in on my final setup).

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Well, its under the knife again! Living that #jackstandlife Laughing

Pulled the original radiator out this afternoon. Did quite a bit of experimenting with this guy in regards to positioning, scoops, fan arrangement, and in/out tube placement. Feel like I learned a lot in the process. Looking forward to getting the next iteration built up and installed.

Pretty stoked to be able to completely reuse all my existing mounts with the new rad. I really like how these fit up, and they just really look nice and polished.

Pulled out the seats too so I can permanently route my scan gauge cable from the OBD port up to the dash. I'll also have to get into my power distribution wiring to install the new up-rated relays for the larger fans.

And just because this post needs more Subaru content Cool

Current shop situation... stinking hot

67 Beetle (TBD)

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Convoy wrote:
^^^

No derail.. all good info. My trans was essentially free since I flipped a Bus in the process and swapped my stock trans for its re-geared 091. For the engine side, I bought a few things (engine hanger, oil pan, TB reverser, and header), but DIY'ed everything else. I did however do the new short block thing, so my engine swap all in was ~8.5k (not counting the duplicate cooling system parts I've purchased honing in on my final setup).

good info guy. thanks. and yes, it's an EPIC amount of time. once the sub systems are in, future repair is a breeze.

looking good. even tho i'm not a late bay fan, I REALLY dig your bus. it's perfect...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

looking good. even tho i'm not a late bay fan, I REALLY dig your bus. it's perfect...

Thanks man, I appreciate it! I'm not sure on the "perfect" comment, but for me its spot on Cool

I like early bays as well, but have always had a weird thing for the late bays. Not sure why, but something about them attracts me. Only thing that would make this one better is if it was a 78/79 model. I like the front seats and lack of bulk heads in those, and the fatter steering wheel too. From the couple of other 78/79 Buses I've owned in the past, I found seating position to be a bit more comfortable for someone my height.

Like I said in the beginning, I had this exact Bus dreamed up in my head A LONG time before I actually bought this Bus and started building it. I'm talking for like 5 or 6 plus years, from when I bought my first Bus basket case. The idea was always an original paint late bay transporter, dropped on 17" fuchs, and swapped. The end result on this one has certainly lived up to those dreams. Its a blast, and a WHOLE different animal than a stock Bus (as you well know).

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Ok, back in for some more cooling system updates. Fortunately for you guys, this should be the end of it Laughing Been busting my hump for the past few days getting all the updated components installed. Let's catch you guys up...

First up, fans... Thanks to the local Summit Racing store, these showed up the next day after ordering. I'm a big fan (get it? Laughing ) of Spal for their cooling fan offerings. They build a VERY nice product. $pendy for sure, but very high quality. I went from two 11" fans, to two 13" fans, which over doubled my CFM potential. I had experimented with both pushers and pullers before with the 11" fans, and for this round of changes I'm returning to the top side mounting in a pusher arrangement. These fans are a pretty significant jump up in motor power from what I had before, so I had to re-work all my fan wiring from what was there. For that I again turned to Spal for their nice relay/harness setup (PN: Spal FRH). The relay is rated for 40amps and the harness is made up from very high quality wiring. Again, a little $pendy, but worth it. I'm using the stock fan relay to trigger the dual Spal relays. A little redundant, but I wasn't sure about hanging two separate relays off the same ECU ground trigger.

Here are a couple of shots of my old fans next to the new ones. Quite the setup up in motor size.

The relays were installed under the rear seat with all the rest of the harness for simplicity. Power feeds come direct from the battery though, as the current draw of both fans were a little more than the fused feed I have located under the rear seat.

Next up, the radiator itself. As I mentioned before, the only real change here was going to a slightly larger core version of what I had before. I thought I'd be slick and called up Afco and asked about getting one custom built (essentially having them take their stock offering and supplying it to me with the tubes relocated already). They said they could do it, but it would be an 8 to 10 week wait time. NO THANKS. I didn't even ask about pricing.

Instead I ordered their standard offering from some random vendor on eBay, and had it in my hands just a few days later. Once I got it Thursday, I immediately unboxed it after work, and busted out the band saw and tig welder to get it modified. My argon tank was getting on the low side, so I wanted to either make sure I could get it all welded up on what was there, or have a chance to take the tank with me to work on Friday to swing by the local welder supply to get it swapped. The goal was to have this all buttoned up before the end of the weekend. Fortunately I had enough to do the full job on what was there, so it was relatively quick work. I'm also happy to report my aluminum tig skills are getting better. Still no pro, but I'm pretty stoked on how it came out.

Here is the cut up radiator. Nothing like taking a brand new $250 part out of the box and start cutting it up Laughing

The new in/out tubes, and plugs for the old tubes

And weld'er up!

Next step is a pressure check. Always nice to find any leaks BEFORE you get it hung under the Bus and filled with coolant. Just a couple of hoses and PVC pipe plugs, and you can put a little air pressure on the core. I usually fill the radiator with water too, so you can see any leaks if they exist. Also used this opportunity to see how the new fans fit. Snug as a bug!

What's not shown is the air bleeds. To make it as easy as possible to purge any air from the coolant system during the initial fill, I strategically place air bleeds at any point that can trap air. For the way my system is laid out, it really only boils down to the rad tanks themselves. Since my radiator is a two pass core, I put two bleeders on the top of the segmented tank, and a single bleeder on the top of the common tank. Makes for a quick and easy way to get all the air out when filling. No crazy antics burping the system, or jacking it up to get the air to come out.

From there it was then just getting it re-installed using all the same mounts as before. Naturally I had to drill a couple new holes for the front mount, as the radiator is now ~5" longer than before. This also required me to remount the scoop further forward as well. No big deal. I also remade the scoop side plates while I was at it. I did this only to correct some oblong holes I had to make in the original side plates when things didn't line up as originally planned when I first built it Laughing

The fill panels that sit on each side of the radiator core also had to be remade to make up for the extra length. The flanges on this core were slightly different, so instead of the angled fill panels I did before, I did flat panels from the top side of the core flange directly over to the frame, which sit in the same plane. With the fill panels in place, the frame is all boxed in and allows an easy high pressure zone to be built up on the top side of the radiator.

So all this is well and good, but the proof is in the pudding right? Regardless of my intentions with any of these changes, real world driving is the only true test. As you can imagine I was pretty anxious to get it out and drive it. As I've stated before, my previous system was a good 95% there overall, but I have been tracking its performance obsessively to really figure out what was working and where it came up short. As such, any changes in performance would be very easily noticeable. So after a solid 2.5 days of working on it, today was the day to put it to the test. It was great day for testing too, as it was a nice balmy 95F+ down here in Atlanta. A great time to just go drive around and sweat right Rolling Eyes Laughing

I did a ~45 mile test loop from my house. Driving was mixed, with everything from 55mph two lane back roads, in town stop and go, to a 75mph blast up the highway. I'm VERY happy to report that temps hung right at 184F the entire time, only getting higher when I got into town in the stop and go stuff. As expected, temps came right back down once I was rolling again. That in itself is only part of the story. The real news for me was watching how the behavior of the temps changed. Its very obvious to me to see how the additional core size is impacting performance. Hard to detail it all here, but the change is very noticeable when you watch temperature behavior during warmup, coasting down or driving up a hill, how quickly it cools down from stop and go driving, etc. I'm happy to report that the radiator change is behaving very well. As for the new fans go.. who knows.. they didn't have to come on the entire drive. Laughing I'll call that a success. And all in a package that still ticks the looks box for me too!

So there you have it folks, the "secret" to the subi cooling conundrum is no secret at all... it's just persistence and hard work. A LOT of work...

IMO there is certainly more than one way to skin this cat. Everyone has different priorities in terms of positioning, aesthetics, fan cycling, flow direction, etc, etc. I've studied a lot of systems from all over the map during my research (some that work, and others that obviously didn't), and I did A TON of my own first hand testing making changes on my original system several times throughout the past year trying to refine it. In the end, I've ended up something that is working very well, and balances all these factors for me.

It's really pretty simple overall... you have to get air to the radiator, and give it a way out. You have to balance the air flow you can create with core size, its efficiency, fan size, etc, etc. Its not just as easy tossing a radiator underneath and calling it good. Anyone who tells you that is not telling you the whole story, just got plain lucky, or their system doesn't actually work and is heavily dependent on fans/runs hot. That said, it CAN be done.

Something else that's been rolling through my mind and thought was worth saying... if you're not a DIY type and are looking at paying someone to do a swap for you, and they CAN'T have an educated conversation with you on all these factors, and/or drive you around in a swapped Bus they built and demonstrate their abilities to you first hand.. buyer beware.

I ceratinly don't think mine is the one and "only" solution, but I'd put it up against anyone else's... This swap is still the single best thing I've done to the Bus. Hard to explain it if you've never driven one, but it turned this old Bus into a WHOLE new vehicle... Cool

67 Beetle (TBD)

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
O
Something else that's been rolling through my mind and thought was worth saying... if you're not a DIY type and are looking at paying someone to do a swap for you, and they CAN'T have an educated conversation with you on all these factors, and/or drive you around in a swapped Bus they built and demonstrate their abilities to you first hand.. buyer beware

yep. I tell everyone to come drive my bus before they pull the money gun.

spal is the shit. cheap fans are just that...cheap. those fukkers move some air. I bet you noticed a significant difference.

I forget what size I have in the sharTTruck, but 1 spal keeps a 5"+/- stack of condenser, intercooler and radiator cool. they are worth every penny

the only thing I am going to publicly shame you on is the use of those zip tie doodads to mount the fans. they are poison. I had a failure a lifetime ago on a trans cooler install...

long story short, the expand and contract and eventually 'saw' thru the radiator tubes. it may not happen today or tomorrow but long term, they suck.

i'm only saying this for 2 reasons. 1) I don't want to see anyone fail, 2) the radiator is in a less than ideal location on these swaps and I don't want them to get a black eye for eating radiators.

beyond that, nice job. and I want your bus

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Killer bus, killer job! I've enjoyed reading these updates for sure. Clearly way over my abilities to DIY. I'm impressed!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Nice job, when does the AC go in??? Laughing

Those Spal fans seem expensive, but they're still cheaper than getting a new T1 fan welded and balanced… Wink Only bummer is that you need two.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

VDub again great progress!
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Something else that's been rolling through my mind and thought was worth saying... if you're not a DIY type and are looking at paying someone to do a swap for you, and they CAN'T have an educated conversation with you on all these factors, and/or drive you around in a swapped Bus they built and demonstrate their abilities to you first hand.. buyer beware

yep. I tell everyone to come drive my bus before they pull the money gun.

Absolutely.. Like you had mentioned in some other thread, I too have seen folks who paid out hard earned money to a person/shop expecting to get a better functioning swapped Bus, only to end up with something that doesn't really work, or required even more work just to make it half as functional as it was before. Buyer beware indeed...

spal is the shit. cheap fans are just that...cheap. those fukkers move some air. I bet you noticed a significant difference.

I forget what size I have in the sharTTruck, but 1 spal keeps a 5"+/- stack of condenser, intercooler and radiator cool. they are worth every penny

Yea, spal makes nice stuff. My smaller 11" fans were spal too, but they were just too small and low flow to be effective. No fault to spal, just the guy who bought them and installed them Embarassed

I'll be anxious to see how the new 13" fans work if/when I actually need them. I did put a manual override switch in so I can turn on the fans independent of the ECU if I want/need to. It was easy enough to do when I had all the wiring apart. Even though all my driving yesterday while it was 95F+ out never got the coolant temps high enough to trigger the fans, I did cycle them once manually to see how it reacted. Didn't take hardly any time at all to drop the temps right down. I can certainly see their muscle over what I had before.

the only thing I am going to publicly shame you on is the use of those zip tie doodads to mount the fans. they are poison. I had a failure a lifetime ago on a trans cooler install...

long story short, the expand and contract and eventually 'saw' thru the radiator tubes. it may not happen today or tomorrow but long term, they suck.

i'm only saying this for 2 reasons. 1) I don't want to see anyone fail, 2) the radiator is in a less than ideal location on these swaps and I don't want them to get a black eye for eating radiators.

Haha.. fair enough, and noted. I haven't had any problems with them to date. I don't really care for them in holding a fan or cooler in the vertical position myself, but am generally not real concerned with them holding something in the horizontal position. That said, I might revisit that at some point to improve it (or at least prevent a possible issue down the road).

beyond that, nice job. and I want your bus

Thanks Skills!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
Killer bus, killer job! I've enjoyed reading these updates for sure. Clearly way over my abilities to DIY. I'm impressed!

Thanks! Its been a fun project. I had high expectations (and high standards) for the swap from the beginning. The cooling system did take some time to get dialed in finally, but man oh man has it been worth it. Cool

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Nice job, when does the AC go in??? Laughing

Those Spal fans seem expensive, but they're still cheaper than getting a new T1 fan welded and balanced… Wink Only bummer is that you need two.

Robbie

Ha.. I've got to get a heater sorted next. It will be cool again before we know it. I've had a general plan for this in my head for a while now. Need to start sourcing the pieces and get it put together.

That said, I do already have an old dealer installed underdash AC unit sitting in my shop in waiting. Its been part of the plan from the beginning too, but its much lower priority to me right now.

The Spal fans are pretty steep, but worth the cost. To be completely transparent, I could have easily gotten a single 16" Spal fans that moved the same amount of CFM as my two 13" ones for the price of only one 13" fan. BUT, call me paranoid, I like having the redundancy of two fans, and they packaged better for me in regards to clearance between the motor housing and shift rod under the Bus. At $145 a piece, it stings a bit. But buy once cry once. Let's just not talk about how much I have tied up in all the fans I've bought throughout my R&D process Rolling Eyes

67 Beetle (TBD)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 22

Jump to: