Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: 1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code Reply with quote

Can not tell, do I have a broken key in there? Is code 3F2 Looks like a big 5 and M?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code Reply with quote

I don’t think the key is broken off in the cylinder. That type sometimes looks as if there is a key in it. The key code is hand engraved into the signal arm. It looks like the signal arm maybe has been replaced. Only problem is most people do not transfer the code off the old arm. I have repaired several of those columns. I hate to say without the key code the switch is going to have to be replaced. That circle K ignition switch is kinda tough to find also. My experience 1 out of 8 used ones are usually good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code Reply with quote

I put a pick in ignition, and I really think the key is broke off in there... Confused

So with turn signal having a date stamped 1964, and car is a 1964, that is swapped out?

Thanks for the help, early T3s are a mystery to me.

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code Reply with quote

Keep in mind those ignition locks use round pins & not flat wafers like on door locks. I have never seen a key code printed in ink on any early column. I have quite a few early columns & worked on many others. I have never seen a key code printed in ink like that one. I usually see the ink stamping on replacement arms. That arm could be produced in 1964 but may not be original. That looks to be an “H” code lock & should have H#### (4 numbers after H) I know there is an “FM” series lock same thing FM####.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code Reply with quote

Take the steering column to your local Locksmith.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code Reply with quote

Hey brother! How you been? What did you get? A notch or square?

Best bet is to pull it and send it out like Mike said. Gabriel can do it but I don't know how well he is yet.

If you need to replace it, then any 61-67 one will work. Also ISP West sells repos of these.

Whatever you do don't get rid of that scripted one. They all are not lettered on the outside like that and I bet that's the one from this car when new.

PM me if you need more help.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code Reply with quote

Hey Notchboy...Picked up this '64 truck, was a Squareback...basically saved it from the woods and being crushed. Just making this beater drive to Yakima (Moxee) show next month.

Thanks for the help everyone. Did not want to pull ignition, read all about the difficulties in that....

--
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code Reply with quote

You got your work cut out for you brother. Maybe just bypass it with a generic ignition mounted under the dash.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code Reply with quote

The aftermarket keyed switch & homemade bracket we took out of our '67 is being used by dc in his WA Type 3 pickup, so it's an 'approved mod'.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
The aftermarket keyed switch & homemade bracket we took out of our '67 is being used by dc in his WA Type 3 pickup, so it's an 'approved mod'.

As long as the steering wheel isn't locked. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code Reply with quote

Steering is not locked. That would be bad if it locked! With a key in there broke off, it should not lock. Buses do not lock til key is removed, if key was turned prior.

--
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Ignition Broken Key? Code Reply with quote

If its not locked then you most likely do have something in there to keep the bolt from springing out, locking the column.

Without a key - that should lock.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: