Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

67_13Deluxe wrote:
campingbox wrote:
EverettB wrote:
From Google Maps, it doesn't look to be on a highway frontage and I can't see the freeway from the street view so any additional value from that seems unwarranted IMHO.

Maybe someone who has been there can confirm differently.

It’s been 10-15 years since I have been to Moab but I believe the junkyard is somewhat visible from the small highway that runs through town. That is assuming the properties right along the highway haven’t been built up.

Does anyone know if that’s a reasonable price for a commercial property in Moab? I would have expected less but it’s possible Moab has gone through some changes since I’ve been there last.

From what I hear that is pretty reasonable for Moab. The properties around the museum are going for more than that. Moab is turning into a tourist trap.

I was just down at the museum last weekend. Everything is lined up and a lot of the vehicles that were there are gone now. its looking pretty good but sad to see it all disappear. I bought a 63 Beetle from him last month. And had to go down there to pick up some things for it.
My brother-in-law and his business partner just recently bought the last piece of land available on the river in Moab. They goal is a hotel and a glamping camp ground. Lots of money for an empty chunk of land and lots of money so far for permits, zoning, engineering, surveying, etc. Probably more than I'll make in my lifetime.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

I Love that people price whined in this thread...

Quote:
also remember something like each vehicle was $2500, non-negotiable.

And walked out in a huff.

6k for a Split, too. Ridiculous....
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

I was in Moab this past Sunday and stopped by Tom Tom's VW museum. Very sad. Lots of VW potential rotting away.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Maybe now that "my friend Pete" has moved from Texas to Moab, someone can get him interested in restoring a few of them. He's about 5 miles down the road.

Really a shame since I'm a vert Ghia guy to see a 70s and a 60s vert sitting there. About 10 Ghias all together. Crying or Very sad

No split window buses, only Bay and Van models.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

Last I heard the beetles were selling for 800 a piece and the busses were going for 100 a piece. it looks like he has a lot left over from when I was down there earlier this year.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

67_13Deluxe wrote:
Last I heard the beetles were selling for 800 a piece and the busses were going for 100 a piece. it looks like he has a lot left over from when I was down there earlier this year.

Im just happy that someone on Samba can spell "busses" correctly.

I've given up on grammar, spelling, and Oxford commas.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
67_13Deluxe wrote:

Im just happy that someone on Samba can spell "busses" correctly.

I've given up on grammar, spelling, and Oxford commas.

Most sources list the plural form of "bus" as "buses."

Reminds me of the topic in the '70s (and in recent Presidential debates) about forced student busing in public schools. I saw a bumper sticker that said "Stop Forced Bussing" which meant to stop forced kissing, a problem which I was unaware of...
Meetzorp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: VW graveyard Reply with quote

Rich Hanson wrote:
I ran across another, though smaller, VW graveyard in western Nebraska. There are 3-4 dozen various VW's there. Mostly bugs from 58 & up, some bay window buses and a few type 3's. I posted some ads to help the guy move some of them. I am going out there to pick up my car Aug. 28-29. I will be taking more pictures to post when I get back and hopefully have some pricing to go with each. I already have some specific ones to check over and another friend is picking up a few for himself.

Sorry to reanimate a zombie thread, but I was hoping to get copies of those photos from you.

That junkyard belonged to my Dad, Gary Davis in conjunction with his erstwhile aircooled VW garage, Dunlap Garage.

My Dad passed away just this past Tuesday, and I'm trying to put together some memorial stuff and I'd really like to include some pics from the junkyard.

Ridiculously, I never took any really good photos of the boneyard in all the years that I was still living with my parents, or even in the years after I moved out. It was always just part of the background of "home" and it never occurred to me how special it was.

I know one thing; I'll be holding on to my 1959 Type 1 for the rest of forever. It was a project we worked on together when I was a teenager, and it was a pretty big factor in my being able to finish out high school with my sanity somewhat intact. My whole goal in life from June of 1993 until August of 1994 was to be able to drive my car to school on the first day of my senior year, and lay a patch on the school driveway after graduation. It took some violent driving to do so, but I could make that little 1600 single port scratch the tires in first and second.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

So sad to hear this Sad Had a lot of good times with Gary and family.
Was the ghia race car yours, that Bob out of Cheyenne bought? We raced the hell out it in Cheyenne and a few times down in Colorado.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Meetzorp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

Was the ghia race car yours, that Bob out of Cheyenne bought? We raced the hell out it in Cheyenne and a few times down in Colorado.

The Ghia was my Dad's, but he let me play with it a few times. He raised plenty of ruckus with it in Alliance before he hung up his firesuilt.

My car is the 1959 Type 1. I had a bunch or rust remediation done and got it repainted a few years ago, but I haven't reassembled it yet. I'm halfway in in the middle of refurbishing a 1981 Mercedes Benz 300TD, and when I get done painting it (I'm going to spray this one) I might go back and respray the Beetle. I had it painted a non-stock color (Turkis, which is still a legit color, but not the original color) and I'm strongly considering laying Mignionette Green (the original color) over top of the Turkis.

If you ever saw my car, it was probably when it looked like this:

20bugsys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest VW graveyard in the west? Tom Tom Reply with quote

I met Tom Tom in 1995. It was an interesting experience. I was traveling west from Michigan in my beetle, picked up a friend in Denver and by the time we reached Moab, a CV joint was toast. Someone recommended we try his place. After some time he agreed to sell me an axle and then insisted we follow him to his place so we could see his "hippy" bus. I just found these old photos a few weeks ago in a box.

1986 | Vanagon Syncro | Restoration to bone stock
@myescapepod
@crusty_syncro
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: