Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires for Eurovan???
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
agoeke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Tires for Eurovan??? Reply with quote

Hi! We are buying tires for the first time for our eurovan, and it seems the the recommended tires are not available (at least where we live). We have visited two tire shops (Les Schwab and Point S) and one offered us 215/65R-16XL, which I guess is 4 ply (6 is recommended) but the XL makes it work, they say. The other place recommended 215/60R16, but an 8 ply. The first option is cheaper, but a little bigger size.

I guess my question is, what tires do you all have, and/or what would you recommend for us? Will it make that much of a difference?

Thank you!
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tires for Eurovan??? Reply with quote

Over the last 16 years the best all around tire I have found for my EV has been the Nokia’s Rotiiva for the 16” wheel. I use the 215/65/16. Correct load rating. Works in 1ft snow in VT, ice and mud while camping out in the woods. Have stayed reasonably quiet, didn’t require tons of weight when balancing, doesn’t have the spring rate like a truck tire (rides smooth), never went out of round (even when parked for 6 months), haven’t scalloped yet and the wear is on par with other tires in its class.

That’s my experience with them. Some only worry about price and wear but I try to look at the whole picture.
Wyotdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tires for Eurovan??? Reply with quote

jjvincent-
Is that the AT or HT version of the Nokia?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tires for Eurovan??? Reply with quote

Wyotdi wrote:
jjvincent-
Is that the AT or HT version of the Nokia?

The AT version as they don't make an HT version that fits the Eurovan (at least in OEM sizing). For Europe, the 215/65/16 102 Load rating, is the norm for T4's to T6's that have 16" wheels. The 102 load rating is what you are looking for. I can tell you from experience if you go overboard on the load rating, it'll ride like a truck. You can find a number of other tires in that size and load rating. There are a number of 225/60/16 102 tires out there too.
alaird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tires for Eurovan??? Reply with quote

Just installed a set of Nokkian Entyre 2.0 225/60R16XL 102H and drove them for about 4.5k mi on a summer road trip. They handled well and inspected them at rotation and they seem good. Will know more in a couple years.

Talked to the Nokkian folks about this and they said to make sure and get the version 2.0 of the tire as it should have fixed the belt separation issues they's seen before.
SPL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tires for Eurovan??? Reply with quote

I run Yokohama Geolander on stock wheels. I am very happen with them. Reasonably quiet and bit more aggressive tread. I got them from Tirerack.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tires for Eurovan??? Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0100OCWXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nokian Entyre
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires for Eurovan??? Reply with quote

SPL wrote:
I run Yokohama Geolander on stock wheels. I am very happen with them. Reasonably quiet and bit more aggressive tread. I got them from Tirerack.

The 235 series Yoko Geolanders that come with the Gowesty setup are the bomb. I've had mine for around 50k miles now and they still have tread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires for Eurovan??? Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0100OCWXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nokian Entyre

That's the older version of the tire which seems to be ok but the v2 is better for these vans.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4068PG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires for Eurovan??? Reply with quote

SPL wrote:

Those Yoko's are good tires. I slapped a set of Hankook Dynapro's 225/70/16 AT/M 103T on, lord they are noisy! Aggressive tread for mud & snow, but a less aggressive tread would serve just as well IMO.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires for Eurovan??? Reply with quote

I just put on Toyo Open Country H/T on my 16 inch aftermarket wheels. 235/60/16 with 100H load index with UTQG 640AA. It had pretty good tread pattern (a bit more aggressive than street pattern) and I was able to get a good deal on it. I just drove 3,000 mile multistate excursion, including a couple of dirt road travels, and am happy with them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: