Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

barn find westy so42
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

this is a project that I have been chasing for several years and finally nailed it down, it's taken me 6 weeks to clear out all of the vehicles.

This was an all or nothing deal, the seller said that I must take them all, so it took me about 5 Saturdays to get them home .

there were 4 vehicles in the hanger and one more in the sellers garage.

here is what I saw when I first got to the location:
a 56 sedan, a 61 sedan, a 69 sedan and a 67 so42 in the hangar and in his personal garage a 57 ragtop that had been restored probably 20 years ago so of course needed work.

all of these cars were pretty much stuck, tires dry rotted many years ago , brakes rusted as you can imagine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

on the third week, after purchasing 16 tires, we finally rigged up a trailer with a winch and went after the westy, since it had to come out first.

a week later we went back after the 56 and pulled it home with a tow bar .

it actually rolled but the front wheel bearing was very loose, I tightened it us as much as I could but was a bit worried about it since we were towing 200 miles one way. it was a little warm but made it

a week after that we decided to get the last 3 at the same time, one on the trailer and 2 with tow bars . all of the last 3 required removing the rear brake drums and stripping off all the brake hardware, since brakes were frozen tight.

I realize these aren't all split window buses so I might have to move this post but I really couldn't find a forum that would cater to all these different vw's.

got em all home except the 69, my buddy wanted that one.

i'll start a new post covering the 67 so42 as I begin to dig into it.

my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
03 BMW R1150RT
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

nice finds perhaps you should put some bus pics in the bus hunting thread?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164642
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Nice scores!

This is probably the best place for it if the SO42 was your main score and what you wanted most of all.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Thats a great score! Congratulations!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

hopefully you got a good price and can sell the beetles and end up with a free Westy.

My retirement plan:
1956 Ghia
1969 Ghia Convertible
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 crusty double cab
1960 convertible bug
1963 356 B coupe runner
1963 356 B coupe
1962 356 B Coupe
1967 21 window rust bucket
1967 912
westcoastbullies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

the people in the canoe should be wearing vest...

other than that nice SO42

TEAM AUOK 1984 SKATEBOARD CO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Nice haul, congrats!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

There are certain features of the Westy that make it appear to be a late '67. When you get a chance can you post up the vin or look it up and post up the build date?

Original and rare intake manifold may indicate original engine if you want to post up engine number.

Does it have the tent?

Can you post a photo of how the table top clips to the floor at the wall area when you get a chance?
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
There are certain features of the Westy that make it appear to be a late '67. When you get a chance can you post up the vin or look it up and post up the build date?

Original and rare intake manifold may indicate original engine if you want to post up engine number.

Does it have the tent?

Can you post a photo of how the table top clips to the floor at the wall area when you get a chance?

BarryL,

the M Code is as Follows:

26 4

425 b42 080 108

uk 2313 523907 vin######

as for the Engine, I am not sure of it's originality, while it is an "H" motor the numbers appear to have been scratched partially off, and I'll have a better look at them later, it also has a 28 PIC-1 carb which I don't believe to be correct for a 67.

as for the Tent, no tent or Rack was found at the site, however I do see the railing for tent on the drip rail. and the M code says its a B42.

as for the Table details, table top has a solid brass male piece that would press fit into a female spring portion or something but the female part is missing. it might be in one of the cabinets, I have found a few pieces in the cabinets, while I was ripping out the old shag carpeting.

I'll have more details later.

my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
03 BMW R1150RT
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Oh wow, look at that flooring under the carpet!
The interior is amazingly intact. New wood panels, deal with some small cosmetic stuff and you might be good to go.
Interior paint looks really nice. Should clean up well with just some touch-up. Great find.
As you probably know, a B42 had everything--poptop, rack, tent.
Looking forward to more pics.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Agree, stunning original flooring, I didn't realize that metal strip on the back was part of the kit. Why did Westfalia not move the outlet over a bit?

Major Woody wrote:
Oh wow, look at that flooring under the carpet!
The interior is amazingly intact. New wood panels, deal with some small cosmetic stuff and you might be good to go.
Interior paint looks really nice. Should clean up well with just some touch-up. Great find.
As you probably know, a B42 had everything--poptop, rack, tent.
Looking forward to more pics.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Agree, stunning original flooring, I didn't realize that metal strip on the back was part of the kit. Why did Westfalia not move the outlet over a bit?

Nice red Westy! That linoleum is amazing. Linda, that seat probably has slipped aft a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

Got it thanks Craig.

Craig wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Nice red Westy! That linoleum is amazing. Linda, that seat probably has slipped aft a bit.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: barn find westy so42 Reply with quote

early wrote:
BarryL wrote:

BarryL,

as for the Table details, table top has a solid brass male piece that would press fit into a female spring portion or something but the female part is missing. it might be in one of the cabinets, I have found a few pieces in the cabinets, while I was ripping out the old shag carpeting.

Wow, thanks. You can see where it was screwed to the floor. I hope you find the female part and hopefully the little piece of elevation wood.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: