Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jack safety
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: jack safety Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No big deal...with the engine & entire front end out, what's left of that Honda is barely 200 pounds...

Laughing Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: jack safety Reply with quote

I wondered about this the last time I had tires mounted. They seemed okay with it but I took several photos just in case. This was not some fly-by-night shop - it was at (what I think is) the largest tire store chain in the U.S.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: jack safety Reply with quote

Tire places do that all the time...but, they aren't really getting under the vehicle...
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: jack safety Reply with quote

I didn’t take a picture of a guy in the parking lot of the Auto Parts Store where I bought my Marvel Mystery Oil this morning, but unfortunately he totally resembled the pictures posted. Small Service Jack and nothing else holding his vehicle up while he worked with the Drivers Wheel off .
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: jack safety Reply with quote

I always dismount my wheels prior to taking them in to a tire shop. I've seen enough to know I don't want them anywhere near my vehicles.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: jack safety Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I always dismount my wheels prior to taking them in to a tire shop. I've seen enough to know I don't want them anywhere near my vehicles.

This. ^^^ Whenever possible....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: jack safety Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

This. ^^^ Whenever possible....

Ditto.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: jack safety Reply with quote

erste wrote:
HD rubber wheel chocks

Harbor Freight actually has some good quality, heavy, dense, inexpensive rubber chocks. I use them religiously.

Speaking of chocks, at Syncro Solstice last year I saw one of those great "why didn't I think of that"ideas.

Graham, a Samba member/rare poster had a Harbor Freight chock tied to a piece of cord and attached somewhere around the door jamb, and he kept the chock down in the driver's footwell by the bottom of the door.

We'd jump out of our vans on inclines on the trail (e-brakes engaged, of course) and Graham would set his brake then throw the chock down under the driver's front wheel. We'd get ready to head out and he'd yank it back up into its spot. Brilliant and simple.

As far a mechanicin' safety, my family lost a friend to a jack failure many years ago. It's not to be taken lightly. Doing some of the bigger jobs safely requires time, thought, and care for sure.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: jack safety Reply with quote

dougass wrote:
Can someone post links to discussions on jack and stand selection?

I carry a pair of 3ton jack stands and a Hi-Lift with Gary Lee adapter.

From experience...
***Factory & Hi-Lift Jacks TIP***
***cinder blocks CRUMBLE***
***wood SPLITS***
***wheels ROLL***

I don't know of one here, but have seen them on other car forums. You want it safety rated, with a wide base and horizontal "ties" between each leg of the base. The tack welded ones are said to come apart under load...

Some prefer pins to the ratchet based ones.

Esco is good.
https://www.amazon.com/ESCO-10498-Jack-Stand-Capac...mp;sr=8-16

many places sell them
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: jack safety Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
also to NOTE that I use silver sharpie to write on EVERY STOCK JACK.
MUST SET PARKING BRAKE 1ST
maybe we can have a decal made?

Good advise. The only thing I want to add is to set the brake after you lift it - especially with a floor jack. You need to allow the vehicle (and jack) to roll while you jack it up. I always try to place a floor jack in a way to allow the vehicle to roll as it follows the lift arc (not at a 90 deg angle at the vehicle). You can't always trust the casters on the jack to roll. This is a hidden danger as a side loaded jack can stay under tension.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack safety Reply with quote

Reposting this from a couple of years ago. Stock jack rod snapped while lifting a wheel so I could place rocks under it after getting stuck in the mud. Fortunately I was being careful not to put any body parts underneath anything. Still scared the bejeezus out of me. Be careful out there!
FWIW - I always carry a jack stand with me under the back seat in the Westy.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack safety Reply with quote

So how many people take the wheel they removed and place it under the car in case the jack/jackstand fails?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack safety Reply with quote

I just can't decide if he's welding the gas tank or not?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack safety Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
So how many people take the wheel they removed and place it under the car in case the jack/jackstand fails?

Always Cool
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack safety Reply with quote

What levi said. One of my earliest childhood memories is of the neighbor having a bumper jack ratchet down on his chest when he was under his 1950 something Buick.

He had a wheel off and the car slowly landed on his chest though, now that I think of it as an adult there must have been something keeping off part of the weight. Anyway he was pinned and called out "Help!" and 5 year old me wandered over to see what the commotion was all about, then followed his direction and ran off to get my dad. The old man was pretty worried when he first saw the situation, but they managed to get the car jacked back up and slid out the neighbor. Many cans of "Blatz" beer, courtesy of the almost squashed neighbor, were passed around the porches in the neighborhood that evening.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: