Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Took my vert for a ride around the block to test some of the stuff I’ve been working on.I live on a farm so that’s 3 miles or so. Everything seemed great. Acceleration was good. Some gear train noise starting around 40 mph or so. I’m thinking it a cv joint since it’s there in both 3rd and 4th gear. Louder with no load. Brakes were good. Steering could be a bit tighter. Tires actually kept air.

A good day!

S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
Dal Churchill wrote:
Mine gets driven every day, it's our only car. Today was a new experience however, going up and down to a basement in a big elevator.

Anyone else have a Beetle as their sole vehicle?

Yes, my '74 standard is my daily driver. All I’ve got, and love it. Rarely turn the radio on, love just listening to what’s going on.

A radio?? ... Luxury!!

I took mine out a long while ago so that I could load 3 metre lengths of copper pipe through from the trunk to the back window. I must get around to making a roof rack for it one day though! Very Happy
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

No need for a roof rack. Back in the day, my dad and I could get a dozen sheets of plywood home from the lumber yard using the roof and one pair of gloves. He got the left and I got the right glove. He steered and I shifted with the other hand. Had to keep it under 30mph. Never lost a load!

S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amrcnbadaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Maybe not today... but

I had a good time at the show this past weekend. Took home a "Top 25" trophy in an all-makes show again.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Murmsk wrote:
No need for a roof rack. Back in the day, my dad and I could get a dozen sheets of plywood home from the lumber yard using the roof and one pair of gloves. He got the left and I got the right glove. He steered and I shifted with the other hand. Had to keep it under 30mph. Never lost a load!

Great to hear from other people who think the way I do! Smile
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I wasn’t going to post this here because it’s already in my thread last Saturday. It was so damn cute to see Xatie drive her bug after a two year build. Why not. It’s all about fun right?

Link
[/quote]

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
veltror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove mine from the Uk to Spa belgium
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Not as exciting, but drove my 1970 to look at storage sheds (like TuffShed) and to pick up two adapter fittings for home plumbing from Ace Hardware. So about 20 miles total, but it ran great.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Quote:
Not as exciting, but drove my 1970 to look at storage sheds (like TuffShed) and to pick up two adapter fittings for home plumbing from Ace Hardware. So about 20 miles total, but it ran great.

Cusser, I’m lookin forward to the day where that’s me

S
Bugheera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

First day on the road after a complete interior/exterior overhaul! cracked the windshield trying to install last week so had to wait until mobile glass guys could replace.

[/img]
tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

usually drive my 68 daily or every other day while there is no snow on the ground. seeing fewer and fewer vws on the roads these days. in fact...i havent seen another beetle on the road in the hudson valley in quite a while now. although i passed one under a car cover last week. unmistakable shape!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Tspot, here in Redding, CA, I usually see at least one or two bugs every time I drive through town. Lots of older cars of other makes, too.

I did drive my bug today, but only to my daughter’s apartment a few miles away. It’s hot here today. 108 Fahrenheit. It makes you crabby at stoplights.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

A selection from this weekend's travels:

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Very nice to see you driving your cars and the interesting places you visit. I try to do the same here and today no sooner did I launch off on my drive than a blinding rain storm whipped up. I did however have a destination in mind so despite the rain was able to take those pictures and put a few miles on the car. My car is a driver, it has rust which I will never fix. I don’t pamper it or make excuses for why I can’t drive it fast or why I don’t trust it to drive hundreds of miles on a whim. I carry no spares and no tools just a cell phone and a AAA card.

Back to the destination I went to the Auburn Cord Duesenburg Co. which is conveniently located about 10 miles down the road. The Cliff notes version is this. Glenn Pray a high school shop teacher and car enthusiast falls in love with 1930s designed cars and namely the upscale Duesenburg and Cord. These cars didn’t survive the Great Depression and manufacturing ceased but remaining stock was left gathering dust in a warehouse. Glenn borrowed a late model Lincoln Continental and new suit to make a favorable impression on the owners.

He struck a bargain which turned out to be multiple truck loads of NOS parts, all the blueprints, drawings and the rights to the namesake. He began making new cars using engines and drivetrains from Ford and sold to wealthy people and had a thriving business selling to collectors of the original cars as well. To this day people from all over the world call his son Doug for parts needed.

You may have seen this on an episode of American Pickers because they brought a car to be semi restored and also pick through inventory as well. About 10 years ago Doug let us in to see everything shortly after Glenn had passed away. There are still thousands of NOS parts go to
www.ACDfactory.com

I’m driving one eyed jack drivers side headlight is busted out after we fixed the bumper and wrench slipped Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’m driving one eyed jack drivers side headlight is busted out after we fixed the bumper and wrench slipped Very Happy

$17 in stock halogen sealed beam at O'Reilly, or $11 in non-halogen.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/xtravision-50...&pos=2

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/sylvania-5022...&pos=1
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Thanks I got the new one just need to install Very Happy

Oh God I’ve failed to conceal that engine serial number now someone will use it to commit some fraudulent act. Dammit Smile
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Jim,
Is that a 4 or a - in the S/N?
I'm currently working with the OKC police to get my engine block recovered from your collection.
Lol
I never get the hide license plate of engine S/N shit.

Thanks for sharing your adventure pics. It's always a pleasure reading up on your drives.

Have a great week.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Drove mine to Simple Transport 12 in Hagerstown, MD on Saturday. Ride out was great. Ride back - not so much.

It started with pulling out of my space - felt like the emergency brake was stuck. Spent a few minutes working on that and was able to free the pads. Then while stopped at a light on the way out of town, the transmission started giving me fits. Wouldn't go into gear, wouldn't shift as smoothly (once in gear) as it had for the previous 46 years, started whining in lower gears, would clunk when finally going into gear, lots of problems getting started. Once going, things were fine.

That was, until I noticed that I was leaning back a bit father than normal about 45 minutes into the drive. I didn't think much of it, thinking the seat mount had bent. When I got home, further inspection revealed that the front welds for the seat mount had broken loose and the floor pan is not in good shape either.

I think a new transmission and at least a drivers side floor pan patch is in my winter future.

It's been a while since I refreshed my little Helga in about 1992. My mom drove her daily until then - about 19 years. She bought her new in 1973, and I've driven it daily in all sorts of weather ever since I bought it from her 27 years ago.

The only items I didn't address back then? You guessed it - floor pans and transmission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71_Superb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Me! I’ve been driving mine to work daily since I drove it back from Phoenix. Yesterday it rained so hard that my stereo shorted out. The keep-alive wire seems to be shorted in the radio and it just about drained the battery before I noticed the heat coming from the internal amp. Yes, it needs all new body gaskets. Oh well, I never used the radio anyway, just the aux input. Every day, when I get home, there’s new parts waiting for me on my doorstep and I do more work on it just about every night. Last night I replaced the glove box and this weekend I’ll be replacing every moving front-end part. It was supposed to be a hobby, but it may have turned into an obsession...
Gramp had a '58 and a 65 Dub, both black. My first car was a '68 Beetle (red) in '73 before I had a license. My next one was a '66 Camper Bus in High School and my 3rd dub was a '63 I bought for $35 in '77, which was destroyed in a sand pit. Sold it two weeks later for $25. 42 years later I bought my 4th one ('71 Super) in Phoenix and drove it to Wisconsin.
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I’ve waited years to be able to post in this thread. Yes! I drove my bug today!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 109

Jump to: