Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

STOLEN: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia Camper; Portland **FOUND**
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia Camper; Portland **FOUND** Reply with quote

Sad to see, but hope the best.

Use pedal locks or steering wheel locks to avoid joyriders
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia Camper; Portland **FOUND** Reply with quote

So the door lock is that poorly made? The guy just gets past it in seconds.

I hate dealing with clumsy locks and bars. A disable switch seems the best option. Make it even harder with a barrel key switch back in the floor somewhere... that would take some real thinking to get past in a hurry.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia Camper; Portland **FOUND** Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:

Water-pumping Volkswagens were notoriously easy to break into and steal back in the '80s and '90s. And, frankly, that era of VeeDubs still are unless you take precautions.

There's a reason these Armor Door Plates were invented three decades ago:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course, ^that merely kept the would-be thief from punching a screwdriver into the door, requiring body work to repair. There's busting the vent/wing window (occurred on my van and Cabriolet given the replacement glass in both), among other [bleep]ing methods.

Now that the bastard is inside and wants to drive off with your VW? All I'll say is that it merely takes that same screwdriver. Evil or Very Mad
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia Camper; Portland **FOUND** Reply with quote

That video referenced above didn't look like a pry situation. It looked like he stuck in a key of some kind and kept messing with it and it opened quickly.

Regardless, the problem of getting it started is solved with this. https://www.amazon.com/125V-tubular-switch-keyed-differently/dp/B07H1ZQPH1

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia Camper; Portland **FOUND** Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:
That video referenced above didn't look like a pry situation. It looked like he stuck in a key of some kind and kept messing with it and it opened quickly.

The method doesn't matter. The factory door locks, door handles, and ignition are easily defeated (especially if said key-ways are as old as the vehicle), going back to when water-pumpers first hit the roadways, regardless of the tool(s) used. Thus, a lot of us saying (ad nauseum), "Install a kill switch and use it!" The bastards might break in, but at least they won't be driving off with your van.

Of course, we talk about these old cars being simple targets... sophisticated theft rings can also easily swipe your brand new car if you leave the key remote anywhere near a window or door in your house. They use a tag team and electronic equipment without gaining entry into your home; in less than a minute your car is gone.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia Camper; Portland **FOUND** Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
newerwesty1987 wrote:

Water-pumping Volkswagens were notoriously easy to break into and steal back in the '80s and '90s. And, frankly, that era of VeeDubs still are unless you take precautions.

if you not disassembled and cleaned you lock barrels then they can be opened with any key
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: FOUND: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia Camper; Portland, OR Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Merian wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Any inexpensive Cellular tracker would have pin pointed this Vans location days ago.

Dave

and then what?

police won't do much if anything

so, are you going to pick up an AK and go after the meth freaks driving it?

Well...... back here on the right coast, if I were to call my local PD and told them my Van was stolen but I know where it is..... they would be so excited to have something besides a speeder, burned out tail light or cell phone use while driving, they would be all over this like White on rice!
Not used to police department apathy here.

Maybe the greater NYC Metropolitan area is a much better place to live than Portland in some aspects.......

Dave

Oh my God, Dave

You can’t just ask people eating rice why they are white.....

Van fixable with a good body person aka panel beater
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: STOLEN: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia Camper; Portland **FOUND** Reply with quote

Finding a good panel beater will be the hard part. From the one picture, that’s a pretty heavy impact. To restore to its previous condition is going to take a lot of labor.

So sorry to see another vanagon boosted in the PNW.
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: FOUND: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia Camper; Portland, OR Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I know I'm harping on a theme but this unit never left the city. That means it has been in cellular coverage the entire time.
Any inexpensive Cellular tracker would have pin pointed this Vans location days ago.

Dave

What service / tracker do you recommend?

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: FOUND: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia Camper; Portland, OR Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
There are a lot of great solid police officers there in Portland,

Where are they? I sure as hell don't see them -- every single officer I've met in the last 15 years of living here seems to have a serious case of Don't-Give-A-Shit-itis going on about pretty much anything that doesn't let them throw their weight around.

The fraternal lodge I was involved with had a B&E a few years ago; thousands of dollars of gear and computers taken from the FIRST Robotics team that used the basement workshop, fingerprints in a part of the building nobody had been in for years, video footage .. we could barely get the PPD to come out and take a report. Shoplifter threatened to stab a coworker when she got caught stealing, could barely get the PPD out to take a report .. and they knew right away who the shoplifter was. Buddy of mine was ticketed and threatened with arrest after an unmarked squad car ran a red with no lights or sirens running and smashed into the side of his truck. A stolen car might get the PPD out to take a report if you're lucky but if you're expecting something more proactive .. don't hold your breath.

"More Useless Than The TSA" might as well be the motto.

True story, I was present. Bike shop I was racing for broken into...staff forgot to lock the door to the outside bathroom, thief took out a vent between the bathroom and showroom, enlarged the hole by beating at the concrete blocks with a tool of some kind, crawled through, set off the alarm, ran to the front, knocked out a window, kept running.

In the bathroom looking at the hole with our local police force, they're like well nothing was taken sorry about your damages bye-bye. Friend looks up into the hole in the wall, pulls out the wallet that fell out of the guys pocket when he was crawling through, and hands it them saying hey maybe this will help.

CSI, most police forces are not. But, to be fair, I also think they are horribly tasked with being default mental health providers, marriage counselors, child protective service workers, and in a million other ways see the horrors of life at such a level that I'd probably develop a serious case of don't-give- a -f about property crimes as well.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: FOUND: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia Camper; Portland, OR Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:
djkeev wrote:

I know I'm harping on a theme but this unit never left the city. That means it has been in cellular coverage the entire time.

Dave

What service / tracker do you recommend?

What I use is on page 26 of this topic.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568723

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: