Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stripped Exhaust Stud In Head
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Stripped Exhaust Stud In Head Reply with quote

Hi all,
So had an exhaust leak and noticed that manifold on cylinders #1 and #3 will not seat flat on to the head. As I was pulling the whole exhaust system off, bloodied knuckles, a few hockey bench words, and one nut that wont loosen yet, I noticed that top stud on #3 wiggles and I believe the threads are stripped. What are my options out there without pulling the motor?
Thanks in advance.
RC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Head Stud Reply with quote

This issue is on my 84' Tintop 1.9L Vanagon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Head Stud Reply with quote

I noticed that top stud on #3 wiggles and I believe the threads are stripped

You may want to post a picture. If a head stud is wiggling there should be coolant leaking out too? Coolant flows around the studs.
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Head Stud Reply with quote

negative on the coolant leak
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Head Stud Reply with quote

May not be a "head stud". As in cylinder head holding stud. Coolant would be flowing.

Post a pic?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Head Stud Reply with quote

I think they are describing an exhaust manifold head stud.

There are "step" studs that can work short of installing a timesert preferred or a helicoil.
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Head Stud Reply with quote

Correct. Its the exhaust manifold stud that wiggles and I believe is stripped.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Head Stud Reply with quote

Time to remove the exhaust and see what you got there. I have seen bolts used in place of studs. Not sure if those are factory or not, but a bolt would allow you to remove the exhaust completely assembled. The problem with bolts is in this application trying to start a bolt with the exhaust assembled is a difficult task. Its easy to cross thread a steel bolt in aluminum.

As I said, time to take it apart and see what you got. A loose stud is way easier to deal with than a snapped stud.
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Head Stud Reply with quote

So any ideas on what the best fix for a stripped manifold stud is by chance?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Head Stud Reply with quote

robcurtis2 wrote:
. Can you remove the stud and take a decent picture of the damage?
As posted, Helicoil or bushing insert might be possible, depends on how much room you have to work with since either one requires drilling oversized hole, threading, then installing the repair
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Head Stud Reply with quote

You should have enough room to carefully drill the stud hole to install a Helicoil there if you can safely jack the body up high enough to work.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Head Stud Reply with quote

robcurtis2 wrote:

We can answer this question as soon as you post a picture of what it looks like. Everyone is asking for a picture for a reason, it's the best way to give you the best shot at repairing this with the least amount of effort. Cool

Helicoil, time sert, and retapping are all options. If you're not a purist, retapping with a slightly larger SAE size (no drilling required) could be the simplest solution.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Exhaust Stud In Head Reply with quote

Another solution if the threads are ripped out of the head is to use a step stud.

https://www.belmetric.com/metric-step-studs-6810mm-c-9_73/?zenid=a2qke73a7n7u9g4aqrebhcj3h4

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Exhaust Stud In Head Reply with quote

I’ll repeat myself. You need the exhaust removed and the offending stud removed. Then you can assess what it will take to repair. Your likely not going to be able to fix it with the exhaust in place.

And since you are asking about how to fix this, you may want to consider having it done. Any option is going to require tools beyond simple hand tools, a tap with a proper sized drill and the ability to drill a straight hole with a hand drill. Or you will need a specific repair kit for the metric size you are repairing using a time sert or helicoil.

If you don’t get it right, it may end up costing you more if you can find someone to take it on. Good luck.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Exhaust Stud In Head Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

If you don’t get it right, it may end up costing you more if you can find someone to take it on. Good luck.

Good point. I have had VW specific shops turn down this repair for fear of "opening a can of worms."
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Exhaust Stud In Head Reply with quote

Okay Okay now....Ha! So Im planning on taking the whole exhaust system off and once I getrr off I will take a picture. I soaked the frozen nuts last night with penetrating oil so hopefully we can see if they can come off without any cans of worms starting to open up. Smile Will post soon. Thanks yall.
Cheers,
RC
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Exhaust Stud In Head Reply with quote

split the nut, use a very sharp chisel, a few taps with a hammer and chisel should get the nut off, then you can see what's going on.

619 201 0310
robcurtis2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Exhaust Stud In Head Reply with quote

and afa a Vanagon Mechanic in Montana? The only one here that works on European autos said negative on anything like pulled studs ect. So that means that I get to work on the ol' van myself again. Smile
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped Exhaust Stud In Head Reply with quote

A mechanic used to fix things

Today?
They remove old parts and install new parts hoping that the new part solves the problem.

Your "mechanics" solution is probably to install a new head.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped Exhaust Stud In Head Reply with quote

I’d be hesitant to take in this job for a new customer. If the van was in decent shape and the customer had a complete new exhaust to install, I’d be more inclined. It would be straight time labor and generally 1.0 hours per broken/seized/stripped fastener. Dealing with a problem fastener and reusing a rusty warped exhaust is just not worth the head ache.

To the original poster, take your time. The more time you spend, the less time it will take. Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: